Sign in to follow this  
Evgeniia Ozerkina

Questions about encoding and editing video

Hey.
I have good experience with photography, but almost no experience with video.
Please, help me figure it out
Tell me what format is better to encode video for shutterstock. I shot in the same conditions with a tripod. But video H.264 was refused "Content contains noise, film grain, compression artifacts, pixelation, and / or posterization that detracts from the main subject." And video with the PhotoJPEG video was accepted.

1. Is it better to always use PhotoJPEG? My camera Canon mark3 if it matters

2. Do I need to delete the audio track in the editorial of the video at the shutter?

3. Is it worth correcting video by analogy with a photo (exposure, saturation, etc.) if it is not an art video. Or is it preferable to have a natural video and the buyer will change it for himself? What do you usually edit in a video?

4.Do you always use a tripod when shooting video? Did you manage to shoot high quality video without a tripod?

5.My tripod shakes near the roads because of the cars. Is this a bad tripod or is it worth hanging a backpack with stones down on the hook?

6.Which tripod head do you prefer when shooting both video and stills?

I am hobby artis. 8 years of 'experiences'.

If it helps I'll answer some of your questions.

4) Always use a tripod. Without a tripod? Hmm? Heavily. Perhaps with new EOS R5 I am waiting for - I'll try with it. It has IBIS (in body stabilization, 5 axis)

5) Because cars drive by? Yes, somehow bad one. I have cheap Slik Pro edition, and it works great.

6) I have OEM (original equipment manufacturer) of Slik pan head and it is very good. Not near some pro video head, but all my pan is out of this head.

I'd reccomend you Magic Lantern for onboard video pre-production. But read carefully info and installation notes, if you will use it!!! I am using it and it is cool camera onboard software-firmware upgrade. Can even use LUTs!

Hope I did help you a little. All I have wrote up, worked for me and with my videos good!

More info, I hope from some pro artist here.

@Primus1 Thank you very much for your advice.
I have a ball head and a tripod from photopro. Twist leg locks are terribly unnerving in a tripod, but I'm not a landscape photographer and I'm trying to get over it as a poet. but sometimes I think about replacing the tripod.
Yes, a 5-lane road causes a lot of camera shake.
Googled what Magic Lantern is. Sounds cool, but I think it's too radical for me at the moment. On the Internet, they write that the update is not always successful.

26 minutes ago, Evgeniia Ozerkina said:

@Primus1 Thank you very much for your advice.
I have a ball head and a tripod from photopro. Twist leg locks are terribly unnerving in a tripod, but I'm not a landscape photographer and I'm trying to get over it as a poet. but sometimes I think about replacing the tripod.
Yes, a 5-lane road causes a lot of camera shake.
Googled what Magic Lantern is. Sounds cool, but I think it's too radical for me at the moment. On the Internet, they write that the update is not always successful.

You are welcome! As mentioned I relay only on my experiences during those 8 years. I do not have any school, degree, etc.¸I am not pro artist, etc. ;)

Aha - got it ... 5 lanes and so on. Yep. A lot. Wind, etc.

As far as MagicLantern - it is as you wrote. If it does not load, simply remove SD card and restart camera. Software is stored on a card and does not and can not wrote into read only memo chip of any Canon camera.

If you have any older, not so expensive Canon, do try on it. It is really worth using it. Really. ;)

9 hours ago, Evgeniia Ozerkina said:

1. Is it better to always use PhotoJPEG? My camera Canon mark3 if it matters

2. Do I need to delete the audio track in the editorial of the video at the shutter?

3. Is it worth correcting video by analogy with a photo (exposure, saturation, etc.) if it is not an art video. Or is it preferable to have a natural video and the buyer will change it for himself? What do you usually edit in a video?

4.Do you always use a tripod when shooting video? Did you manage to shoot high quality video without a tripod?

5.My tripod shakes near the roads because of the cars. Is this a bad tripod or is it worth hanging a backpack with stones down on the hook?

6.Which tripod head do you prefer when shooting both video and stills?

1.  If the video in PhotoJPEG was accepted and the video in H.264 (same clip?) was not, use PhotoJPEG.  I have the Canon Mark III too and it shoots in .MOV.  If possible, if you have a Mac computer for and software for export, use .MOV.

I haven't had any issues with exporting video in H.264, but I have had issues with my GoPro SHOOTING video in H.264--sometimes smooth surfaces like clear blue sky have pixel blotches and posterization banding.  It's intermittent, only happens sometimes.

2.  No.  You can delete audio in editing and achieve the same result, no audio.

3.  Yes, post-process your videos so they look what you feel is their best.. The customer can always do additional post-processing if they so desire.

4.  The only time I don't use a tripod is using a GoPro with built-in IS and I'm moving the camera in a dolly or some other type of move.  It's kind of hard to use a tripod when physically picking up and moving the camera.

5.  It's not a "bad" tripod (whatever "bad" means), it's just light-weight.  Yes, hanging a backpack with stones to weight it down is a good idea.

6.  Any kind of fluid head.

1. Personally, I export as ProRes, even though the files are huge. But I hear SS will accept H.264

2. Delete the audio unless it adds value to the clip. If you leave it in, it needs to be clean throughout the duration.

3. Correct video if it needs it. Much better to shoot it right in the first place, because correcting video is not nearly as easy as correcting stills. I don't normally edit my video clips other than to trim the bad / boring parts off the ends. (Make sure to leave enough lead in and lead out for an editor to create a transition.)

4. No, but if you shoot handheld, you have to know in which situations this works, and it takes a lot of practice. Never attempt to shoot a stationary object handheld, especially if you're zoomed in. It will look like crap. In a pinch, it is better to set the camera down on something, anything (park bench, parked car, tree stump...) and try to level it with whatever you have at hand.

5. The tripod is too light if it shakes from traffic going by.

6. You need a fluid head for decent video shots, and the amount of money you invest in this video head will determine how smooth your shots will be. Many heads will give you a decent move, but it is very hard to get a smooth start and stop with a cheap head.

2 hours ago, Mike Kuhlman said:

1.  If the video in PhotoJPEG was accepted and the video in H.264 (same clip?) was not, use PhotoJPEG.  I have the Canon Mark III too and it shoots in .MOV.  If possible, if you have a Mac computer for and software for export, use .MOV.

These are different videos. But different objects were shot with a difference of 15 minutes with the same camera under the same lighting. In both cases, a tripod was used. I shoot video in mov files. I have a PC laptop and use Adobe Premiere. In the Adobe Premiere, when exporting, I used a different options H.264 and a PhotoJPEG for two clips. I'm surprised clips H.264 was rejected.

Thanks for the advice.

30 minutes ago, Milo J said:

6. You need a fluid head for decent video shots, and the amount of money you invest in this video head will determine how smooth your shots will be. Many heads will give you a decent move, but it is very hard to get a smooth start and stop with a cheap head.

Thanks for the advice.

8 hours ago, Evgeniia Ozerkina said:

@Primus1 

https://www.shutterstock.com/ru/video/clip-1008366982-driving-hill-winter-suv-slow-careful-first

Is this video filmed from a car through glass?
I often drive, I have a desire to shoot a video, but I have doubts whether the video will be of good quality. And most importantly, how to fix the camera so that it does not fall.

:) It is from a car, while driving, shoot by me. It can be dangerous! Well, you can use like:

https://www.amazon.com/Sucker-Suction-Tripod-Window-Windshield/dp/B06XWV4BYW

or something similar. This one is more for outside of a car. There are small versions for car inside.

My clip you linked it is shoot with DJI Osmo, a camera having 3 axis stabilization, held by one hand, while I was driving with another. Slow driving ... If some one would drive, than you can operate with it easily. It takes mobile phone for a screen, connected via wifi. Osmo is kind of ... good and bad. It is 4K, but files are small, Mbps is very low, even at HD, so little information is stored during clip shoot. There are better, but much expensive versions, like DJI Osmo Pro, etc.

:)

7 hours ago, Mike Kuhlman said:

Here's a video I shot completely hand-held from my bicycle.  GoPro Hero 6, wide view, image stabilization on.  Nice smooth bike path, no tripod needed.  H.264 and it got accepted no problem:

https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-1031832230-deerfield-beach-florida--usa---june

Cool! Very smooth, no shaking! :)

8 hours ago, Mike Kuhlman said:

Here's a video I shot completely hand-held from my bicycle.  GoPro Hero 6, wide view, image stabilization on.  Nice smooth bike path, no tripod needed.  H.264 and it got accepted no problem:

https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-1031832230-deerfield-beach-florida--usa---june

Very smooth indeed, no Warp stabilisation in post?

57 minutes ago, Primus1 said:

:) It is from a car, while driving, shoot by me. It can be dangerous! Well, you can use like:

https://www.amazon.com/Sucker-Suction-Tripod-Window-Windshield/dp/B06XWV4BYW

or something similar. This one is more for outside of a car. There are small versions for car inside.

My clip you linked it is shoot with DJI Osmo, a camera having 3 axis stabilization, held by one hand, while I was driving with another. Slow driving ... If some one would drive, than you can operate with it easily. It takes mobile phone for a screen, connected via wifi. Osmo is kind of ... good and bad. It is 4K, but files are small, Mbps is very low, even at HD, so little information is stored during clip shoot. There are better, but much expensive versions, like DJI Osmo Pro, etc.

:)

Thank. I can take a couple of shots at a traffic light in a traffic jam. 🙂But while driving it is too dangerous.☹️

9 hours ago, Mike Kuhlman said:

Great video!

28 minutes ago, Evgeniia Ozerkina said:

Thank. I can take a couple of shots at a traffic light in a traffic jam. 🙂But while driving it is too dangerous.☹️

Great video!

Yes, do not try this! :)

Get a good in car tripod or stabilizer, like DJI has.