Studio 2

Show your monthly earnings chart

1 hour ago, Steven Tritton said:

Last time I had a sale on Alamy was 19 March 2020, earning $3.15 on that sale - a total of $55.00 earnings since starting there in 2019.

I'm averaging well over $100 a month on Shutterstock in 2020.

Please, somebody, enlighten me on the rivers of gold I fail to see on sites like Alamy and why I should close my SS ports immediately!!

I understand Steven and have heard the same many times about Alamy. 

i hesitated to close my account with SS after spending the time to submit and suffering the review process.

My sales dried up very quickly in the last couple of months here which is why I decided to bring forward what I was going to do at the end of the year anyway.

The rebasing to Level 1 is criminal although it doesn't appear to make much difference what level you are at.

It seems to me that sticking with SS is helping to kill stock photography for all but the biggest contributors.

I repeat what I said before, everyone has different circumstances and some rely on the income from here so good luck to anyone who continues with SS but I can't justify the time it takes to contribute.

58 minutes ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

That is exactly the problem, Tony.

In corona times, the situation is not rosy for many creative people as you/as we all know.
And it is precisely this situation that Shutterstock shamelessly and immorally exploits. Because they know that many contributors are driven to the revenues of Shutterstock – even if these have been drastically reduced.

Am I willing to forego four-figure revenues? If this continues to develop as negatively as it is at the moment, probably yes. Probably by December 31.

Then there are the large contributors (consortia). They have built up a microstock infrastructure with corresponding running costs. Which still have to be served. I think they just can't do without thousands of dollars a month, even though there is less money now. Some of them – unlike me – are still uploading. If they wouldn't do it, they would probably have to close their "shops". Shutterstock knows that too. And shamelessly exploits it to serve the shareholders.

But those large contributors will invest less money in models etc. A shooting of hundreds of photos with only one model. This will eventually become unattractive for the buyers. They migrate. A vicious circle – caused by shutterstock and in the medium or long term to their own disadvantage. I am sure of it.

Can I balance my shutterstock income with Alamy? In my case: No. I have only uploaded about 200 images so far. But there are a lot of images that bring a lot of money elsewhere. I had exactly 2 downloads at Alamy in the whole year 2020. One for $1 and one for $22. By the way, the total income I am shown is $22, not $23.

I think that Alamy should be interesting especially for editorial contributors. I am not one of them.

In my opinion, it is not fair that many contributors claim that everyone should close their account at shutterstock. The less money you make per year, the easier it is. But when it comes to many thousands of dollars, it's just not that simple anymore. For some contributors it's all about economic survival in the crisis.

Wilm, I am entirely with you on everything you say. 

I understand that many live from the income generated from stock photography and that leaving is not simple.

For those who don't, why would you stay? There are alternatives, not just Alamy.

1 hour ago, Tony ALS said:

Wilm, I am entirely with you on everything you say. 

I understand that many live from the income generated from stock photography and that leaving is not simple.

For those who don't, why would you stay? There are alternatives, not just Alamy.

Yes, that's right, Tony. There are alternatives!

9 hours ago, milagrosvita said:

💔

17-09-2020 16-10-39.png

This looks like a major hit due to Covid, not so much due to the new earnings structure. So does @Sondipon's graph.

5 hours ago, Milo J said:

This looks like a major hit due to Covid, not so much due to the new earnings structure. So does @Sondipon's graph.

How would you know that? 

They changed our earnings within the middle of this nightmare. And I'm sure he/she has made his/her maths to know how much he/she would have earned with the previous earning structure. Don't understand people not seeing earning structure as the consecuence of our recent losses. Of course covid has to do also, but from June they are taking a bigger part of our earnings, is simple maths that you get less. And if your graph doesn't show that decrease, that means your month would have been amazingly good with the previous payment, not that the earning structure is working for you. 

5 hours ago, David Moreno Hernandez said:

...but from June they are taking a bigger part of our earnings...

The answer is in your own reply. Their graphs show dramatic decreases months before the new schedule went into effect. Months before most of us even knew this was coming. 

13 minutes ago, Steven Tritton said:

Passed through the three figure mark today for September which is good as there's still some 12 days of the month remaining and achieving these earnings is becoming more commonplace since first reaching this milestone earlier in 2020.

image.png.a98d6c796b1e0030502d29e0ac65efb6.png

Just keep on going that way, Steven! :)

12 hours ago, David Moreno Hernandez said:

How would you know that? 

They changed our earnings within the middle of this nightmare. And I'm sure he/she has made his/her maths to know how much he/she would have earned with the previous earning structure. Don't understand people not seeing earning structure as the consecuence of our recent losses. Of course covid has to do also, but from June they are taking a bigger part of our earnings, is simple maths that you get less. And if your graph doesn't show that decrease, that means your month would have been amazingly good with the previous payment, not that the earning structure is working for you. 

I am not saying that the new earnings structure is a good thing, or that it is working for me or anyone out there (it is not - this month alone I've lost something like $50), what I was saying is, when you look at that graph, the major cave-in happened in April. That's when the full reality of Covid hit us. The earnings change wasn't until June.

On 9/17/2020 at 6:13 AM, milagrosvita said:

💔

17-09-2020 16-10-39.png

47 minutes ago, Milo J said:

I am not saying that the new earnings structure is a good thing, or that it is working for me or anyone out there (it is not - this month alone I've lost something like $50), what I was saying is, when you look at that graph, the major cave-in happened in April. That's when the full reality of Covid hit us. The earnings change wasn't until June.

I assumed wrong then. There has been some contributor talking about how the new earning structure is not that bad, and I thought you meant that.

My apologies Milo. 

I'm new to Shutterstock, would really appreciate if someone could answer a question or two. 
Is it to late to start selling photographs on Shutterstock right now? Did a short research and during that kept hearing about the oversaturation of Shutterstock after being that long on the market. 

Is it still possible for newcomers to build up their "brand" here and earn some decent money? 
How long did it took approximately  for you to reach a point where you felt satisfied with what you achieved here?
Basically I just want to know if it's still worth to invest the time and effort into Shutterstock?

Whoever came this far, thank you!

Cheers :)

On 9/13/2020 at 2:53 PM, Studio 2 said:

I don't think the download number is to do with Sstock. Numbers have reduced I think due to Covid + related global economic decline. It's in Sstock's favour to have as many downloads as possible as they benefit vastly more than we do from our work. 

No, I wasn't blaming SS.. t'was just an expression. And I definitely agree with you. 

Fortunately though, I just sold a single image in AS that surpasses my entire SS's sales this year.