Studio 2

Show your monthly earnings chart

Capture.PNG.1868a8c4f5cff3ad3a0a1102745c610b.PNG

No longer well into 4 figure earnings...  Very suspicious too.  A nice gradual descent then stabilised on an incredibly suspicious, consistent image earnings per month.
The last several months image sales have been to within a few dollars - remarkable consistency when its never been anything like that for the previous 10 years.
Almost as if its capped and balancing...

This month so far is almost identical too.

Image earnings are down roughly 60% (level 5). SS is no longer the top earner (not even close).  But this change is good for contributors - it must be true. Oringer said so.

Note download *numbers* are still high so its all just extra SS profit.

2 minutes ago, Studio 2 said:

This Rolling Stones song is more appropriate for me this month @Whiteaster ūüėĄ

Sorry to hear that Debby.

It is appropriate for me too, I have to go back to my very beginnings to see such earnings. Just subs, all ODD-s and SOD-s are missing but I was expecting this to happen.

2 minutes ago, Whiteaster said:

Sorry to hear that Debby.

It is appropriate for me too, I have to go back to my very beginnings to see such earnings. Just subs, all ODD-s and SOD-s are missing but I was expecting this to happen.

Sorry to hear that for you too. Yes, the SODs and ODs being much rarer/non existent makes such a difference. 

These are difficult times we live in but you have cheered us up with a Rolling Stones song thread ūüôā

10 minutes ago, Studio 2 said:

These are difficult times we live in but you have cheered us up with a Rolling Stones song thread ūüôā

I'm glad you feel that way.

The song is not very cheerful but I find it very beautiful. I just had to share it with those less fortunate, like myself, this September.

Very glad I have quite a few editorials in my port as in recent weeks they tend to represent at least 50% of my sales. I am assuming that this is to do with certain types of media surviving in these challenging times.

I wonder if this is true for others?

@Whiteaster¬†That is indeed a very beautiful song. It doesn't sound like Mick Jagger ūü§Ē

On 9/9/2020 at 3:32 PM, Doug Jensen said:

You are absolutely right and that is how I judge my progress.  My numbers for 2020 compared to the same month in 2019:

January   +15%

February   +75%

March   +9%

April    +24%

May   +37%

June  +14%

July   +23%

August    +1%

The size of my portfolio probably increased about 10% during that period of time, so earnings have increased faster than the portfolio size.

For me, every month of this year (2020) is ahead of 2019 with the exception of July.

2 hours ago, Studio 2 said:

Very glad I have quite a few editorials in my port as in recent weeks they tend to represent at least 50% of my sales. I am assuming that this is to do with certain types of media surviving in these challenging times.

I wonder if this is true for others?

Always been the case for me. But yeah, it's more pronounced the last couple of months.

About 40 percent of my port is Commercial but Editorials account for over 80 percent of my sales.

I've got a very nice downhill curve going. August was diabolical -- 201 downloads for a whopping $66. In August 2019 I had 339 downloads for $180. This month started off quite well and I was optimistic, but at the end of last week it seemed like someone pulled the plug. Covid has definitely impacted my sales, but the royalty cuts were the nail in the coffin. 

Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 7.12.44 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 7.14.44 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 7.25.13 AM.png

6 hours ago, CherylRamalho said:

I've got a very nice downhill curve going. August was diabolical -- 201 downloads for a whopping $66. In August 2019 I had 339 downloads for $180. This month started off quite well and I was optimistic, but at the end of last week it seemed like someone pulled the plug. Covid has definitely impacted my sales, but the royalty cuts were the nail in the coffin. 

Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 7.12.44 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 7.14.44 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 7.25.13 AM.png

You have an impressive portfolio! One more example for great work that is worth to earn much more.

Of course I understand that everyone has different circumstances and may have good reason to stick with SS but it shocks me to see such talented work from so many who are now giving away their work for $0.10 most of the time.

SS have taken away any incentive for me to continue here, all on Alamy now. Much better system and better paid, albeit for fewer sales which doesn't concern me as this is a sideline.

My last image sold on Alamy is equivalent to 66 sales on SS. That's net, the actual amount (before any tax of course!).

If you can, time to move on.

Last time I had a sale on Alamy was 19 March 2020, earning $3.15 on that sale - a total of $55.00 earnings since starting there in 2019.

I'm averaging well over $100 a month on Shutterstock in 2020.

Please, somebody, enlighten me on the rivers of gold I fail to see on sites like Alamy and why I should close my SS ports immediately!!

24 minutes ago, Steven Tritton said:

Last time I had a sale on Alamy was 19 March 2020, earning $3.15 on that sale - a total of $55.00 earnings since starting there in 2019.

I'm averaging well over $100 a month on Shutterstock in 2020.

Please, somebody, enlighten me on the rivers of gold I fail to see on sites like Alamy and why I should close my SS ports immediately!!

I have data, some photos there were sold in 10K of $ ... Rumors? :)

2 hours ago, Tony ALS said:

Of course I understand that everyone has different circumstances and may have good reason to stick with SS but it shocks me to see such talented work from so many who are now giving away their work for $0.10 most of the time.

SS have taken away any incentive for me to continue here, all on Alamy now. Much better system and better paid, albeit for fewer sales which doesn't concern me as this is a sideline.

My last image sold on Alamy is equivalent to 66 sales on SS. That's net, the actual amount (before any tax of course!).

If you can, time to move on.

That is exactly the problem, Tony.

In corona times, the situation is not rosy for many creative people as you/as we all know.
And it is precisely this situation that Shutterstock shamelessly and immorally exploits. Because they know that many contributors are driven to the revenues of Shutterstock ‚Äď even if these have been drastically reduced.

Am I willing to forego four-figure revenues? If this continues to develop as negatively as it is at the moment, probably yes. Probably by December 31.

Then there are the large contributors (consortia). They have built up a microstock infrastructure with corresponding running costs. Which still have to be served. I think they just can't do without thousands of dollars a month, even though there is less money now. Some of them ‚Äď unlike me ‚Äď are still uploading. If they wouldn't do it, they would probably have to close their "shops". Shutterstock knows that too. And shamelessly exploits it to serve the shareholders.

But those large contributors will invest less money in models etc. A shooting of hundreds of photos with only one model. This will eventually become unattractive for the buyers. They migrate. A vicious circle ‚Äď caused by shutterstock and in the medium or long term to their own disadvantage. I am sure of it.

Can I balance my shutterstock income with Alamy? In my case: No. I have only uploaded about 200 images so far. But there are a lot of images that bring a lot of money elsewhere. I had exactly 2 downloads at Alamy in the whole year 2020. One for $1 and one for $22. By the way, the total income I am shown is $22, not $23.

I think that Alamy should be interesting especially for editorial contributors. I am not one of them.

In my opinion, it is not fair that many contributors claim that everyone should close their account at shutterstock. The less money you make per year, the easier it is. But when it comes to many thousands of dollars, it's just not that simple anymore. For some contributors it's all about economic survival in the crisis.