Question for long-time SHUTTERSTOCK contributors...have any of you experienced of-late inconsistence reviewers of your submissions from iteration to iteration?  I submitted 6-images of cabins at Zion Lodge Zion National Park. Springdale, Utah.  All were rejected citing: Editorial Caption: Caption is not accurately describing the subject matter or is missing required information such as the shoot date, location, or relevant description. Captions must be in English and cannot contain special characters, spelling/grammar errors, or repeat words/phrases in excess.

Can another long-time contributor 'see' what I don't see but the reviewer does to justify the rejection?  Cheers, Paul

Here are my example:

Springdale, UT. U.S.A. 8/12-15/2020.  Zion National Park. Zion Lodge vintage cabins with  porch, rocking chairs and a petite table; and, a gas fireplace.

beautiful

green

landscape

nature

outdoor

summer

travel

vintage cabins

zion lodge cabins

zion lodge cabins & fireplace

zion lodge vintage cabins

DSC_4147.JPG

DSC_4163.JPG

DSC_4149.JPG

DSC_4148.JPG

DSC_4155.JPG

DSC_4158.JPG

DSC_4159.JPG

Dear Charles, Thank you for your prompt reply.  Hopefully, I'll get other opinions.  In any case, I'll re-submit spelling out the state/date.  However, the images submitted were taken over 2-1/2 days which compounds submissions no-end as each group must be from a single day.  By chance, did you find any descriptions in SSs EDITORIAL CAPTION that requires States not to be abbreviated.  Same for the date?

9 minutes ago, Paul R. Jones said:

Dear Charles, Thank you for your prompt reply.  Hopefully, I'll get other opinions.  In any case, I'll re-submit spelling out the state/date.  However, the images submitted were taken over 2-1/2 days which compounds submissions no-end as each group must be from a single day.  By chance, did you find any descriptions in SSs EDITORIAL CAPTION that requires States not to be abbreviated.  Same for the date?

Re: abbreviation, no. I just choose not to. Same with the date.

As to multiple submissions taken over several days, I just use the cut and paste facility. I know it's more of a pain that way but if that is what SS want.

Check the metadata for the actual date each image was taken and use that. Write the date in words and numbers, don't use backslashes /  they are special characters. Don't abbreviate states. Why are you mentioning gas fireplaces etc? They can't be seen in the images. Describe what you can see, the buildings and the landscape.

1 hour ago, oleschwander said:

Paul - you have to do it like in the image (exept that he write Zion and Springdale, Utah twice - that's not necessary). And you are not supposed to use this sign ;

Skærmbillede 2020-09-07 kl. 21.43.12.png

If they're being picky, that is actually incorrect. There should be a slash between state and country, not a comma.

Springdale, UT / USA - August 12, 2020: Rustic cabins in Zion National Park.

@Paul R. Jones - I would not worry about checking the metadata for the exact day. It doesn't make a difference in these type of images. I have submitted stuff like that, taken over the course of a couple of days, all with the same date. I mean, it's not like you're photographing a news event.

By the way, am way jealous you got to stay there. Beautiful place! I love how the deer graze in front of the Lodge in the evening. Did you go hike the Narrows? One of my favorite places on earth. My own trip, planned for May, unfortunately fell victim to Covid restrictions.

Your keywords are a bit repetitive. There is no need to repeat Zion Lodge so many times, and I would not mention gas fireplace, as we do not see that. But you forgot to add Zion Canyon, Utah, lodging, rustic, wooden, America, vacation

32 minutes ago, Milo J said:

@Paul R. Jones - I would not worry about checking the metadata for the exact day. It doesn't make a difference in these type of images.

In all my recent editorials the exact day was totally unimportant, so I always omitted it with no problems in getting the photos accepted. My usual format is something like:

Rome, Italy - August 2020: Here is the title......

26 minutes ago, Ackab Photography said:

Rome, Italy - August 2020: Here is the title......

Yes, when the city is big and famous enough, one can omit the state or province. Certainly that would be the case for Rome, not so much for Springdale. As it is a bit of a judgement call, I have gotten into the habit of always including the state.

Dear Milo, thank you for taking time to help with my frustration.  Actually, this trip to Zion was to celebrate our 40th Wedding Anniversary.  We got an excellent rate at a discount of 30% off the regular room rates.  but, the dining was 'take-out' only.  Yes, the Resident deer entertain in the morning and evening...must be in their union contract.  Again, my thanks for your wisdom.  cheers, Flo and Paul

DSC_4268.JPG

DSC_4258.JPG

For all long-time contributors who took the time to reply, I thank you; this is what has happened in the interim...I changed the EDITORIAL CAPTION to remove abbreviations of states, usa and date.  Now, I am getting rejections of the Zion's cabins citing 'key word!'  Some of the same cabins with the same key words were accepted and another batch using identical EDITORIAL CAPTION and key words were rejected...all of them!  I have come to the conclusion there is no consistence with SS reviewers which makes for a joke.

This is for rejected image #4148 for key words:Springdale, Utah. United States. August 13, 2020.  Zion National Park. Zion Lodge vintage cabins with porch, rocking chairs, a petite table; and, a cozy natural stone gas fireplace.

fireplace
old
tourism
tourist
travel
vintage cabins
wilderness
zion lodge cabins
zion lodge cabins & fireplace
zion national park

This is image #4177 that was accepted.  The EDITORIAL CAPTION and KEYWORDS from #4177 was used for the above rejected images.  I changed some of the key words and STILL got a reject.:

Springdale, Utah. United States. August 13, 2020.  Zion National Park. Zion Lodge vintage cabins with porch, rocking chairs, a petite table; and, a cozy natural stone gas fireplace.

landscape
nature
old
travel
tree
vintage cabins
vintage hotel
vintage lodge
zion lodge cabin and fireplace
zion lodge cabins

DSC_4177.JPG

DSC_4148.JPG

2 hours ago, Paul R. Jones said:

Springdale, Utah. United States. August 13, 2020.  Zion National Park. Zion Lodge vintage cabins with porch, rocking chairs, a petite table; and, a cozy natural stone gas fireplace.

Try 

Springdale, Utah/United States - August 13, 2020:  Zion National Park. Zion Lodge vintage cabins with porch, rocking chairs, a petite table and a cozy natural stone gas fireplace.

Dear Ackab,

Thank you for your reply and suggestions.  Taking suggestions from you and your colleagues and re-submitting 'rejected images' with correction, I remain terribly frustrated that some cabin images with the same EDITORIAL CAPTION and KEY WORDs are accepted and another batch with the same EDITORIAL CAPTION but change of KEY WORDs here and there, are rejected citing KEY WORDS.  Contributors that cannot rely on reviewers to be consistent in their reviews from the same contribution submitting a batch of images on the same topic and experiences some accepted and some rejected to be an impossible position to be in for a contributor.  If it is SSs goal to 'restrict' contributor's batches of images on the same subject such as Zion Lodge by accepting some and then rejecting all others citing KEY WORDs is not good business practices in my opinion.  I don't recall seeing any guidance from SS on the number of images for a particular topic to be restricted ie. SS will only accept XX of images from each contributor for each topic.  Again, my thanks to all who took the time to reply to my question. Cheers, Paul

1 hour ago, Paul R. Jones said:

Thank you for your reply and suggestions.

Dear Paul. I’ve never had an image rejected for keywords. Strangely enough. I didn’t think humans looked at the keywords.

But what surprises me is that you - after your post and the answers - still don’t follow the Very simple rules of the captions ...! 😖

2 hours ago, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

Crazy inconsistencies...

I'll try for a 4th and last time. 

crazy.JPG

I have decided with the the changed payment schedule and general faffing about I will only resubmit once only - if it gets rejected a second time then SS do not get the opportunity to make money from it.

Despite having far fewer images on Adobe month on month earnings are comparable, and they are not rejecting images for daft reasons.