Kate Shutterstock

New! Use the digital release feature to request property releases and model releases for minors

We’ve expanded our digital release feature to include property releases and model releases for minors (under age 18). Now it’s easier than ever to get the releases you need to submit all your content to Shutterstock.

This feature is being rolled out slowly, so not everyone will see it right away.

Learn more about digital releases in this article.

request-release-highlight (2).png

@Kate Shutterstock - question about model releases in general: did Shutterstock change their requirements recently?

I recently had some photos rejected over and over for "invalid model release" using the very same release that had been fine just a couple of months prior. Argued it back and forth with support and was told that the rejection was correct, because the witness could not be a guardian. (Her father had signed as the witness) When I pointed out that the model was 18 and therefore an adult, and her father no longer her guardian, the support person told me the witness could not be a relative. Since when is that?

On 9/6/2020 at 3:33 PM, Milo J said:

@Kate Shutterstock - question about model releases in general: did Shutterstock change their requirements recently?

I recently had some photos rejected over and over for "invalid model release" using the very same release that had been fine just a couple of months prior. Argued it back and forth with support and was told that the rejection was correct, because the witness could not be a guardian. (Her father had signed as the witness) When I pointed out that the model was 18 and therefore an adult, and her father no longer her guardian, the support person told me the witness could not be a relative. Since when is that?

Hi @Milo J

The witness cannot be the guardian (nor the model). If the model is over 18, then the minor model release cannot be used. Sorry about the runaround. 

There is no rule about the witness not being related to the other parties. 

Kate

On 9/8/2020 at 11:54 AM, Breaking The Walls said:

I do not understand the logic - in new UI we do not have an option to attach an existing release form? What about old shoots for which we cannot access some models anymore?

Hi @Breaking The Walls,

You can still use your existing releases, and continue to upload scanned jpgs as well. 

Thanks,

Kate

On 9/11/2020 at 1:01 PM, Sarah2 said:

Will these releases be accepted by other agencies or will we have to do old style (paper) or both?

Not sure what other agencies will want to do with these. I would guess that, if they require a witness signature, these would not be allowed. Let us know what you find out though.

Kate

1 hour ago, Kate Shutterstock said:

The witness cannot be the guardian (nor the model). If the model is over 18, then the minor model release cannot be used. Sorry about the runaround. 

There is no rule about the witness not being related to the other parties. 

Kate

The release I submitted was not a minor release. The model (my daughter) had signed as an adult, and the witness was her father. So, it was rejected in error then, right?

1 hour ago, Kate Shutterstock said:

The witness cannot be the guardian (nor the model).

Confused by this. I have several releases for minors where one parent signed the release for the minor model, and the other parent signed as the witness. Never had an issue with those being accepted.

On 9/14/2020 at 5:30 PM, Milo J said:

Confused by this. I have several releases for minors where one parent signed the release for the minor model, and the other parent signed as the witness. Never had an issue with those being accepted.

Sorry, yeah. I spoke imprecisely. The witness cannot be the same person as the person who signed in the 'guardian' area. It needs to be a different person, but it could be the other parent. 

Sounds like your release was rejected in error.

Thanks,

Kate

13 hours ago, Kate Shutterstock said:

Sorry, yeah. I spoke imprecisely. The witness cannot be the same person as the person who signed in the 'guardian' area. It needs to be a different person, but it could be the other parent. 

Sounds like your release was rejected in error.

Emboldened by this, I submitted the files once more - rejected again. Kate, any way I could send you the release in question to have a look at? This is just so weird! Many of my releases look exactly like this one, and never had this issue before. Have in fact files online at SS with this very same release. I just really want to know if there is an issue or there isn't. Has something changed.

@Kate Shutterstock- had a question about minor model release. I have got the release signed. However is there a way I can go and attach this release to images where I have already submitted them in Shutterstock and they have been accepted as Editorial? The idea is to re-submit these Editorial images as Commercial without going through the whole process again.

7 hours ago, Lloyd Vas said:

@Kate Shutterstock- had a question about minor model release. I have got the release signed. However is there a way I can go and attach this release to images where I have already submitted them in Shutterstock and they have been accepted as Editorial? The idea is to re-submit these Editorial images as Commercial without going through the whole process again.

Hi @Lloyd Vas,

We do not currently have a feature that enables re-submission or re-classification of approved items. I'll add it to our feature request list (if it's not already on there). I can see the value in this for sure. For now, you'd have to remove the existing ones, and start again by re-uploading the images.

Thanks,

K

2 hours ago, Kate Shutterstock said:

Hi @Milo J,

If you send me the ID of the rejected image or video, i can take a look. I'm super curious now to see what's going on.

K

Thank you. Sent you a PM.

Hi, I have same problem with one of contributor posted above. My submission was rejected due to "one or more the attached model releases does not match our requirements". I have attached the same digital model release with other two submission and they were approved. I am so confused now. Please advise.