Should I go on uploading?  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hello guys, I just wanna share my short experience as footage contributor in Shutterstock, and asking you a suggestion for future, maybe could help also some new "recruits". I have just started during half of july, uploading footages of my usual topics (nature, vegetables, food, growing food, organic food and sustainability). It seems market is not really interesting in it. I sold just 1 clip for 7 dollars (and it was a clip not of my topic: an istitutional building) on a total of 200 clips uploaded, some 4K, some slowmo, timelapse, drone footage. So, for now the balance is not so good, just considering the time spent uploading clips. At this point, I wonder if I should go on or stop. Do you think I'm doing something wrong? Footage are not interesting at all? Or I need to be patient and going on uploading? Thanks everyone for support, suggestions and idea 😎

p.s. don't tell anybody, but I have uploaded same clips also on AS, IS, Pond5... zero money for now 😁
Thanks, and take care

My portfolio

Nice diverse portfolio. Strange, but I got somewhat same portfolio and having a sale every week on average since summer start, had even 4 sales in last week. Some small $ - some okay.
P5 earned me same amount as SS for the period since I started, AS = 0 (I find it very weird).

If you enjoy it - just keep going, sales should popup at any random moment.

Hei Airbite. Indeed, your portfolio is similar to mine, thank you for your feedback. It encourages me going on. Maybe I'm doing something wrong on keywords, titles. Or simply, my footage are not good enough for commercial purpose. Probably I'll keep going, but not at the speed of before. At least I hope to have some sells in the future, just for morale :):). I sold first week, then even if I'm filling portfolio, still zero after first sell...

1 hour ago, Filippo Bellantoni said:

Hello guys, I just wanna share my short experience as footage contributor in Shutterstock, and asking you a suggestion for future, maybe could help also some new "recruits". I have just started during half of july, uploading footages of my usual topics (nature, vegetables, food, growing food, organic food and sustainability). It seems market is not really interesting in it. I sold just 1 clip for 7 dollars (and it was a clip not of my topic: an istitutional building) on a total of 200 clips uploaded, some 4K, some slowmo, timelapse, drone footage. So, for now the balance is not so good, just considering the time spent uploading clips. At this point, I wonder if I should go on or stop. Do you think I'm doing something wrong? Footage are not interesting at all? Or I need to be patient and going on uploading? Thanks everyone for support, suggestions and idea 😎

p.s. don't tell anybody, but I have uploaded same clips also on AS, IS, Pond5... zero money for now 😁
Thanks, and take care

My portfolio

I am no expert in video, but it seems to me that most of your videos are a bit on the dull side and may benefit some post production to brighten them and bring out colors. As they are they will not stand out in a search. Apart from that I think you are doing a great job. Just keep uploading but look into post production to make the videos awesome, instead of good.

1 hour ago, Filippo Bellantoni said:

Thanks, and take care

My portfolio

Do not expect to get any decent sales in 2 months. It takes years of hard work to build a library and about 6 to 12 months to get some sales. My personal experience. IMHO. Now its even harder, since we are in not so good times for a job we do. Use Magic Lantern if you have Canon cam. To quit after only 200 clips uploaded is nonsense. When you will have 20K clips and will not get any sales, then quit. ;)

And upload to other agencies too ...

Hi Primus, thanks for your feedback. I use Lumix GH5 and a CANON 60d, I film always everything in manual. I'll keep going, in spare time probably. Just wondered If I'm doing well until now, trying to learn and improve. I uploaded also to AS, IS, POND5. Still no sells. Probably I'll make a balance when I'll get to 1000 clips. 

Have a nice day :)  and congrats for your great portfolio!

20 minutes ago, Filippo Bellantoni said:

Hi Primus, thanks for your feedback. I use Lumix GH5, I film always everything in manual. I'll keep going, in spare time probably. Just wondered If I'm doing well until now, trying to learn and improve. I uploaded also to AS, IS, POND5. Still no sells. Probably I'll make a balance when I'll get to 1000 clips. 

Have a nice day :) 

You are welcome! GH5 is superb camera! My hat down. We all learn; even top pro videographers learn, not us, hobby players. I see about other agencies. Well, I'm from old school; 6-12 months to see some results used to be a golden rule. Aha, good balance ... 1000 clips. Make movements with camera. I too have too much stills like shots. Pan, tilt, zoom clips as much as you can. Get a slider, etc. Use macro lens. Macro adapters. If category you do is overpopulated, do something new, extraordinary, fresh.

Make good keywords and good descriptions - a must.

Thank you for your wishes! :)

12 minutes ago, Primus1 said:

You are welcome! GH5 is superb camera! My hat down. We all learn; even top pro videographers learn, not us, hobby players. I see about other agencies. Well, I'm from old school; 6-12 months to see some results used to be a golden rule. Aha, good balance ... 1000 clips. Make movements with camera. I too have too much stills like shots. Pan, tilt, zoom clips as much as you can. Get a slider, etc. Use macro lens. Macro adapters. If category you do is overpopulated, do something new, extraordinary, fresh.

Thank you for your wishes! :)

Thanks, I'll try to get more creative as I can. I'm gonna use more a gimbal then. I have one, but I'm very lazy using that. Also, I don't like much heavy tripod, but I guess is better to use it, and doing some pan, tilt etc. I have a slider too... but still lazy as hell to use it :):)

1 minute ago, Filippo Bellantoni said:

Thanks, I'll try to get more creative as I can. I'm gonna use more a gimbal then. I have one, but I'm very lazy using that. Also, I don't like much heavy tripod, but I guess is better to use it, and doing some pan, tilt etc. I have a slider too... but still lazy as hell to use it :):)

Well, do not be lazy. I am lazy too! My clips were selling good in previous years. Now they do not. Guess 4K has something to do too. And situation we are in is bad; all sorts of crissis you can imagine. Etc.

Tripod is a must! Postproduction too. I have Canon and all my clips you see are onboard corrected with Magic Lantern. Straight from a cam! No post production of any kind. 0.

Best wishes!

19 minutes ago, Primus1 said:

Well, do not be lazy. I am lazy too! My clips were selling good in previous years. Now they do not. Guess 4K has something to do too. And situation we are in is bad; all sorts of crissis you can imagine. Etc.

Tripod is a must! Postproduction too. I have Canon and all my clips you see are onboard corrected with Magic Lantern. Straight from a cam! No post production of any kind. 0.

Best wishes!

Very nice! I'm not used to Magic Lantern, but is very interesting. Also you got really good color composition. I'm used to film in VLOG with Gh5, and then apply Rec709, and make some slight corrections. Sometimes i also shoot with "Natural" profile of Gh5, that is not bad. Then apply some correction in post production. Maybe, I need to work a bit to make popup colors more. Are you using luts? Applied directly to Magic Lantern?

5 minutes ago, Filippo Bellantoni said:

Very nice! I'm not used to Magic Lantern, but is very interesting. Also you got really good color composition. I'm used to film in VLOG with Gh5, and then apply Rec709, and make some slight corrections. Sometimes i also shoot with "Natural" profile of Gh5, that is not bad. Then apply some correction in posto. Maybe, I need to work a bit to make popup colors more. Are you using luts? Applied directly to Magic Lantern?

I'm not used to GH5. ;) Natural profile is OK. Who knows about colors. Perhaps there are other experienced users of GH5 and they will drop a note. Its hard to be smart.

I liked strong colors. I still like strong colors. Looks they are not popular right now? Who knows. Perhaps HD is not popular. Perhaps ... who knows.

Magic Lantern is only for Canon camera(s). It's basically 'hacked' firmware with dozens of possibilities you do not have on camera reachable. That is all. No LUTs ...

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/18/2020 at 3:46 PM, Filippo Bellantoni said:

Hey guys, I just wanted to make an update. After 18 days from the first post. I sold other 3 footage clips, for a total of 50 dollars. So, not bad actually :):)

Defenetly, I'll go on

F

Cool! And congratulations and to a many more! I have told you not to quit just like that. It is muuuuch easier working, while sales are happening, you will see. I know that. Best wishes. Keep posting, hope good results, on forum! ;) I am having improved sales too. Last day. ;)

You got sales quick, not 6 - 12 months - that is very good result, btw!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, thank you for your support! Actually, I was almost quitting. but thanks to your suggestion I stayed, and I reached 87 dollars on september, with less than 300 footage, and 30 pictures. And october is quite ok, with few sales I'm at 10 dollars.

I sold like 9 time the same picture, in few days, is a truffle dog: https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/hunting-truffles-dog-just-found-rare-1822810745 
Then a couple of Italian parliament, nothing special, an editorial content: https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-1056725726-italian-parliament-montecitorio-palace-building-main-entrance

Then, some other truffle hunting clips, they must be quite rare: 3 in total for 35 dollars more or less.
Then this editorial clip about 5G sold it for 22 dollars! https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-1056959033
In total I reached almost 100 dollars: https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-1056683645-dogs-just-found-truffle-hunting-truffles-forest

Let me know what do you think about :) And how you suggest to go on uploading

I don't have much time right now, but I'm trying to keep uploading to reach as quick as possible 1000 clipsI sold also 1 clip on POND 5, and couple on GETTY IMAGES. 

F

• 1 month later...

Another update on december. I got almost 400 video clip on, and few pictures. 

Sold 31 pictures and 21 video clips in total. But most of the earning comes from video of course. Not bad, hopefully the income will increse as I increase the database. Thanks for your feedback. If I must calculate the hours I worked on it, it's not worth it comparing to the income, but I bet on exponential increase income with more footage online.

Let see if I can rise the average earnings. Hopefully old clip will continue selling. Let me know what's your thoughts :)
image.png.3cde7117d90ad3a4b1879b5868d088ee.png

23 hours ago, Filippo Bellantoni said:

Another update on december. I got almost 400 video clip on, and few pictures. 

Sold 31 pictures and 21 video clips in total. But most of the earning comes from video of course. Not bad, hopefully the income will increse as I increase the database. Thanks for your feedback. If I must calculate the hours I worked on it, it's not worth it comparing to the income, but I bet on exponential increase income with more footage online.

Let see if I can rise the average earnings. Hopefully old clip will continue selling. Let me know what's your thoughts :)
image.png.3cde7117d90ad3a4b1879b5868d088ee.png

Great to know your insights. I am a noob contributor here for video, how many file and time you had to reach to get the first download? 

And did you got download on others platfroms?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, just 2 clips downloaded on Pond5, I have 400 clips online. Time is quite consuming even if you consider only editing and uploading. At the moment I do it mostly for fun and to see if I can rise a double income on some footage I have to take anyway. Also, is challenging to me to improve technique of shooting. I had the first download after a couple of weeks, and like 30,40 clips. I think it all depends of contents, not much on quantity. Of course if you have both (quantity and quality) you'll have more earnings.

F