Sign in to follow this  
Dinesh Hukmani

10,000 image portfolio April 2018 to August 2020

I think whether that's a good achievement or not depends solely on the content of your portfolio.
Filling your port with 10000 mostly unique photos in 2 years is quite the achievement. Filling your port with 10000 similars is not. I think your port is a mixture of both. You do have good unique photos, but you also have a very high number of repetitive topics. For example, you have over 800 photos of highwas / expressway taken from bridges in your port. It's not that hard to add a great number of photos to your port if you keep shooting the same topic that's easily available to everyone. I could go to the forest and photograph 100 trees or leaves in a day. Then I would have 10000 photos in my port in a little bit over 3 months. Now, thinking of thousands of different subjects to photograph, that's a challange.
I would be interested in knowing how many photos you sell each month, because I suspect that, compared to a port with only half as many photos with less repetive topics, I think it might not be more.

31 minutes ago, oleschwander said:

It’s very good indeed Dinesh! Congrats. Is your income satisfying/following the amount of images in the port ..?

Thanks. Sales are averaging 100 a month and revenues do keep coming each month, despite the lower levels since June 2020. My port also has more than 500 videos and they sell too, ensuring $ 35 and above revenues each month.

25 minutes ago, Dinesh Hukmani said:

Thanks. Sales are averaging 100 a month and revenues do keep coming each month,

That's what I meant. My port has only about half the size, but around 400 sales each month.
No matter how often people want to tell the opposite - the size of the port alone is not any kind of achievement on its own and does not matter. It only matters if you have a variation of subjects to go with it.

24 minutes ago, Dinesh Hukmani said:

Thanks. Sales are averaging 100 a month and revenues do keep coming each month, despite the lower levels since June 2020. My port also has more than 500 videos and they sell too, ensuring $ 35 and above revenues each month.

Work on different category sales will increase , Don't shoot similar subject again and again, Anyone who have 10K + Image scan earn in between $400 to $600 per month instead of that you are just earning 30-40 , Its too low . Work on rural images since you are from Maharashtra you can get variety of rural India pictures , get a model release when shooting people its not too hard just convey then where these images can be use .....

10,000 pictures in 2 years is a lot of pictures and must have needed much hard work and efficiency. And your images aren't as similar as many of the other ports I've seen here. So congrats and hope you make more money with these images in the future. 

25 minutes ago, balajisrinivasan said:

10,000 pictures in 2 years is a lot of pictures and must have needed much hard work and efficiency. And your images aren't as similar as many of the other ports I've seen here. So congrats and hope you make more money with these images in the future. 

Thanks. 

I'm not even at 5000 images yet, and I've been here a little over 10 years. So, you've certainly been a lot more faster than I have.

Now, HOW your images are performing, that I don't know.

A port that size containing good commercial value images should bring in several hundred dollars per month, and a port with great commercial value images should bring much more. IF your port is not performing along those lines, you need to think of your subject matter and make changes to what you shoot.

1 hour ago, Sari ONeal said:

A port that size containing good commercial value images should bring in several hundred dollars per month, and a port with great commercial value images should bring much more. 

That may have been true in the past with the former payment system and established images. However, I doubt if it is so now with newer uploads and the vast majority of sales being at 10 cents..

9 hours ago, Dinesh Hukmani said:

It took me more than 2 years for 10,000 approved pics in my portfolio. How would you rate this? Slow/ ok / Normal? Whats your experience? 

Extremely fast from my point of view.

In just over 9 months I have a port of about 550 and getting about 28-30 sales a month.  I thought I was doing really badly but percentage wise compared to Dinesh HukmaniI seem to be doing better than I feared.  I am trying not to get too many similar photos but perhaps I should not be so fussy.  What do you think?

10 hours ago, IngeBlessas said:

I am trying not to get too many similar photos but perhaps I should not be so fussy.  What do you think?

Keep doing what you're doing. Having a bunch of similar photos is not advisable, as they compete against each other in the ranking system. Just pick the one or two that you think are best. On the other hand, shooting a variety of very different photos of the same object or the same location will give buyers good choices. I often sell an entire series of pictures to the same customer.

On 9/2/2020 at 9:41 AM, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

I agree.

That's an RPI of just $0.12/image/year.

Hmmm...

"$ 35 and above revenues each month"

Let's say it's a bit more than $40 per month = approx. $500 per year

A bit more than 10,000 images and 500 videos = 10,500 files results in an RPI of less than $0.05/image/year.

Or is my calculation wrong, Alexandre?

1 hour ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

Hmmm...

"$ 35 and above revenues each month"

Let's say it's a bit more than $40 per month = approx. $500 per year

A bit more than 10,000 images and 500 videos = 10,500 files results in an RPI of less than $0.05/image/year.

Or is my calculation wrong, Alexandre?

Seems right.

Nevertheless, any RPI/year below 50cents is a waste of time imo. Major problems with lack of commercial images / poor technicals and probably bad captions/keywords. Don't need us to say, the market is saying it loud and clear.  

10 years ago, good ports were earning $5/image/year, nowadays $1/image/year is more standard. That's counting the same image on all agencies.

3 hours ago, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

Seems right.

Nevertheless, any RPI/year below 50cents is a waste of time imo. Major problems with lack of commercial images / poor technicals and probably bad captions/keywords. Don't need us to say, the market is saying it loud and clear.  

10 years ago, good ports were earning $5/image/year, nowadays $1/image/year is more standard. That's counting the same image on all agencies.

I guess 10 years ago it was much more than $5 for really good ports. I'm sure to know samples of portfolios with an RPI of approx. $70/image/year - only here at shutterstock (and without videos). But you are right - that belongs to the past.

My RPI in 2019 for 8000 images was $3.80  Of course, my portfolio is 100% videos. 

I continue to wonder why the hell anyone would waste time submitting photos?  It takes just as much time and effort to shoot, process, upload, a photo as it does a video, yet the returns are so much higher for video.  Time is money.  And if you do the math on how much time some of these contributors are putting into stock photos vs. the income they get from it, it is clear that a lot of people are working for less than a buck per hour.  Far less than $1/hour in many cases.   Come mow my lawn and I will pay you ten times that.

4 minutes ago, Doug Jensen said:

I continue to wonder why the hell anyone would waste time submitting photos?

Well, firstly, some of us don't really depend on microstock money. For instance, I have a day job and photography is something I do in my hobby time. I hate shooting videos and I seriously wouldn't want to spend my spare time doing something I don't like.

I've been doing photography for over 15 years and didn't make a cent (apart from a couple of nice flickr sales) because I just truly enjoy the process. I've only been submitting to stock agencies for the past year because, well, I would rather they make 10 cents than zero. But I consider every cent I make a bonus.

And, secondly, I'm a video editor and I know that it costs an insane amount of money to buy equipment to shoot good quality video. For photography, I have a trusty old DSLR and a few lenses that have served me for over 10 years and that still work remarkably well. So I don't have to invest an extra dollar in equipment.

As for time, I spend maybe 20 minutes a day keywording and submitting images. Most pictures I submit to microstock agencies have already been taken and processed years ago. So I spend no time doing that. And the money I make is probably good enough for that amount of work.

27 minutes ago, Doug Jensen said:

My RPI in 2019 for 8000 images was $3.80  Of course, my portfolio is 100% videos. 

I continue to wonder why the hell anyone would waste time submitting photos?  It takes just as much time and effort to shoot, process, upload, a photo as it does a video, yet the returns are so much higher for video.  Time is money.  And if you do the math on how much time some of these contributors are putting into stock photos vs. the income they get from it, it is clear that a lot of people are working for less than a buck per hour.  Far less than $1/hour in many cases.   Come mow my lawn and I will pay you ten times that.

I'd be interested in your RPI per year if you count all agencies together. And I'd be interested about the development of RPD/RPI for videographers at shutterstock since the introduction of the new earning structure, Doug.

12 minutes ago, balajisrinivasan said:

So I spend no time doing that. And the money I make is probably good enough for that amount of work.

I don't rely on stock for money either, it is just pocket change.  But I think you are crazy to enjoy doing keywording, descriptions, category selection, etc. I seriously would rather be digging a ditch than doing metadata. . . . but digging a ditch would not pay as well.

What do you figure your hourly income is for stock?  And how do you calculate that for yourself?

5 minutes ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

I'd be interested in your RPI per year if you count all agencies together. And I'd be interested about the development of RPD/RPI for videographers at shutterstock since the introduction of the new earning structure, Doug.

I have stopped submitting to anyplace except Shutterstock, so the RPI I quoted above is 100% derived from Shutterstock.   Income from other sources is not included.

Well, since I do both stills and video and don't have any skin in the game when it comes to selling training videos etc. - all I can say is that photos pay just as well. Something Doug just can't seem to accept is the fact that volume sales potential for still photos outstrips video by an exponential margin. And oh yes, while everyone is doing their senseless per hour calculations don't forget to include your time spent in acquiring your assets in the first place. Something anyone interested in the real numbers would surely not omit. Wouldn't you agree?