Image quality too bad for commercial. Why?

Hi all,

I try to upload attached image as commercial and it is rejected with reason:

==

Focus: The main subject is out of focus or is not in focus due to camera shake, motion blur, overuse of noise reduction, or technical limitations of the equipment used (e.g. autofocus searching, camera sensor quality, etc).

Noise / Film Grain : Content contains chrominance noise, luminance noise, sharpening noise, or film grain that detracts from the main subject.

==

But other images with absolutely the same quality is approved for editorial. Why?

What is wrong in this image from technical point of view?

Many thanks for further answers! ;)

IMG_3536__copy.JPG

All 10 images in my recent (yesterday's) submission rejected for reasons of "focus".  All accepted without qualm by Alamy, Adobe.  All shot on Canon EOS5D, with Canon EF 24-70mm f2.8L USM lens at low ISO, in good light, and as sharp as you like.  Today I uploaded the same images again, with no changes/edits.  This time, 5 were accepted, the rest rejected again, but this time for "Noise / Film Grain : Content contains chrominance noise, luminance noise, sharpening noise, or film grain that detracts from the main subject".  Think I'll resubmit them again tomorrow and see what spurious rejection excuse they can come up with this time.  What an effing stupid system.

3 hours ago, Denis Kabelev said:

What is wrong in this image from technical point of view?

That is a nice image and as @oleschwander said, has commercial value.

You can do two things: one is to resubmit it over and over until they accept it or you could do a $0.10 quick fix Not that there is something wrong but I think the left side of the image (the pilot) is a bit overexposed or over processed (for my taste or on my monitor).

Here is what I would do:

plain2.thumb.jpg.0bd2b4f4126aa4fcbcbc2fc9f378f141.jpg

layers.jpg.18d1dd9add02f0adfc5cbc62e28933e6.jpg

The main subject is considered to be the one that is in the title, so take care how you do the title.

I would not check the "note to reviewer" box.

Good luck!

47 minutes ago, Whiteaster said:

but I think the left side of the image (the pilot) is a bit overexposed

Agree it’s overexposed - but that can’t be the rejection reason ...?

47 minutes ago, Whiteaster said:

I would not check the "note to reviewer" box.

Totally agree - thats why I suggested to change the title of the image ...

6 hours ago, oleschwander said:

Agree it’s overexposed - but that can’t be the rejection reason ...?

Well, we never get a clear reason, you know but this time they enumerated all possible rejection reasons.

I don't know what the title was but looking at the composition, the main subject is the pilot (or mechanic) which being overexposed, looses definition, so the out of focus rejection is correct (to be honest). Bringing back the colors could help IMO.

I was thinking, if the image is more pleasing to the eye, they won't pixel pip it. Who knows?

Definitely agree with Rudy. This would likely need to be editorial.

Having said that (and ignoring all of the $0.10 stuff) there is quite a bit of noise in the darker areas. Particularly in the engine blades. Not sure if you lifted the shadows at all or if this is just straight out of camera but that could get a rejection as well.

I'm not saying this is all "right" but you have to work to the reviewers.

On 8/28/2020 at 10:01 AM, Rudy Umans said:

I assume there is a model release for that person? The airplane and/or its components might be a problem too.

Rejection reasons mean nothing. They are on a rotation schedule I think.

I would submit as editorial. 

You answered the next question, before he got to ask it. 🙂

Generally the first rejections are for easy reasons, and all reasons are not listed. So this one, lets say he cleans up the grain and fixes the exposure, it will be likely to be rejected for trademarks or needing a model release.

Most I've had was three for one image, I think, and other times, the reason changed, as I edited and fixed flaws. I don't know if re-submitting is worth the effort for 10c, unless it's actually something different or unique.

Accepted doesn't equal will sell or income. I have plenty of accepted images, that have never sold and probably never will.