The Jungle Explorer

What is best for Stock Video sales? Video with AUDIO or without?

So I have been shooting some 4K nature clips and have amassed a small collection of decent footage.  As we all know, when shooting in nature, the audio is not always the best.  So have have three options. Leave the original audio, mute the audio, or replace the audio with a pre-recorded quality nature sound.  I am just wondering which is the best option?

If it's good, leave it in, if it's bad, get rid of it. I wouldn't go out of my way to edit it in, unless you already have some really amazing nature sounds laying around (that actually match the scene!) and the edit takes you only an extra second.

The thing is, when searching for clips, there is no audio on the small thumbnails, and even when you click to watch a clip in the larger window, the audio doesn't even play unless you specifically click it on. Whenever I purchased clips in the past, the fact that some came with sound was always a bit of a surprise, and a nice bonus. But it wouldn't have mattered to me once way or another. So, if you add sound, make sure to include that fact in your description.

5 minutes ago, Milo J said:

If it's good, leave it in, if it's bad, get rid of it. I wouldn't go out of my way to edit it in, unless you already have some really amazing nature sounds laying around (that actually match the scene!) and the edit takes you only an extra second.

The thing is, when searching for clips, there is no audio on the small thumbnails, and even when you click to watch a clip in the larger window, the audio doesn't even play unless you specifically click it on. Whenever I purchased clips in the past, the fact that some came with sound was always a bit of a surprise, and a nice bonus. But it wouldn't have mattered to me once way or another. So, if you add sound, make sure to include that fact in your description.

Thanks.  Great advice.  I actually do have great nature audio, as I record it intentionally to use as background sound effects in my youtube videos.  The issues is matching it to the scene, and that would take time that is not warranted, as you pointed.  In some clips the audio it is crucial, such as the clip I am working on at the moment, which is a close up 4K video of a "White-crowned sparrow singing in the early morning with chorus of birds singing in the background" (this is the title I am going to use with it).  But the audio on this video is awesome and clear, because it was a super calm morning with no other sounds going on (car driving by, dog barking, jet overhead, etc.)

Leave it in if it is relevant to the clip (like the bird you are videoing singing) and the quality is good. Otherwise remove the audio. Personally I don't think it's worth spending time replacing the audio, but if you do make sure it's your own or have a release for it. 

15 minutes ago, Linda Bestwick said:

Leave it in if it is relevant to the clip (like the bird you are videoing singing) and the quality is good. Otherwise remove the audio. Personally I don't think it's worth spending time replacing the audio, but if you do make sure it's your own or have a release for it. 

Thanks.  Is 10 seconds a good length for nature clips?  Say stuff like, a deer fawn nursing, or a bird singing in a tree?   

I'd be more inclined to go with 15 seconds as a minimum. Unless it calls for being longer. Going shorter may not give the buyer enough room around what they want from the clip, and will give them less choice of which bit to use too. Just my thoughts.

10 seconds is accepted by SS though ;)

Okay.  I have never done 4k footage, so I am just trying to figure out what the go with from the start.  I am going to start doing more 4K footage than photos from now on, because the market for nature shots is all but dried up and the commissions are so low, it is not worth my time anymore. I am not sure 4K footage will be any better, but it will be less work and if I do sell any, the rewards will be greater hopefully. 

It is just hard to make a side income these days.  People have 100K invested in equipment to sell micro-stock for pennies.  There is no way they will ever earn enough to even pay for their equipment, let alone any other production cost involved.  It is not only in photography, it is everywhere.  My wife is Native South American and makes beautiful traditional native jewelry. She thought she could sell her stuff on Etsy, so I opened opened an account listed a bunch of her work.  Then I stared looking at similar stuff for sell and knew it would never work.  People were selling fabulous pieces that takes 30+ hours to craft, for $20.  We know how much the materials cost to make the stuff, and at $20 they are barely breaking even on materials cost, not to mention making nothing for 30 hours of skill and labor to craft the piece.  I told my wife to forget it.  There are too many people out there doing things as a hobby and could careless if they make any form of reasonable income.  When a brain dead pothead can make 10,000% more flipping burgers at McDonalds then I highly skilled craftsman, something is wrong in the universe.

2 hours ago, The Jungle Explorer said:

Thanks.  Is 10 seconds a good length for nature clips?  Say stuff like, a deer fawn nursing, or a bird singing in a tree?   

I know storage for 4K takes up a lot of space, but I'd go with at least 15 sec, better 20. Because as Linda pointed out, a buyer wants to have options which portion to use, but also because nature documentary moves slower than other programs, and the editor will need some extra material to dissolve in and out of the portion they want.

My issue is upload.  I live in a rural area with very slow internet. My upload speed is like .03 Mbps on average.  A 4K clip of 10 seconds is about 100 MB.  That is like a two hour upload for me, if everything goes well.  I have frequent service interruptions, and  this causes the ftp upload to fail and start over again. I left my FTP uploader running all night with five 10 seconds video to uplaod.  Only one had finished by this morning. I am using Filezilla.  Is there a better FTP uploader that has a resume function? You know, so that the file does not have to start over from stratch each time there is a connection issue?

5 hours ago, The Jungle Explorer said:

A 4K clip of 10 seconds is about 100 MB.

Are you compressing to H264? My 4K files are way larger than that, more like 700MB for a 10 sec clip.

Anyway, in your case, I wouldn't bother uploading 4K. Most video clips still sell at 1920x1080, including the ones uploaded at 4K. With your upload speed, even regular HD will be a nightmare.

Here's a thought: do you have a good friend or family member living in a city with a fast connection? You could ship them a thumb drive with a bunch of files and ask them to do the upload.

1 hour ago, Milo J said:

Are you compressing to H264? My 4K files are way larger than that, more like 700MB for a 10 sec clip.

Anyway, in your case, I wouldn't bother uploading 4K. Most video clips still sell at 1920x1080, including the ones uploaded at 4K. With your upload speed, even regular HD will be a nightmare.

Here's a thought: do you have a good friend or family member living in a city with a fast connection? You could ship them a thumb drive with a bunch of files and ask them to do the upload.

I am shooting with a Sony A6500.  I am shooting at XAVC S 4K 30P 60M.  Should I be shooting in some other setting?  My videos look fantastic to my eyes. 

Here is a screen shot of the properties of one of my videos.

sample.jpg

8 hours ago, Primus1 said:

I do have a rode pro mic and it is quite amazing, but the truth is, there is almost nowhere, in the US especially, where there is true silence in nature.  At least not when you are shooting, which with my style is almost always a random unexpected event because I mostly film true wild animals in their natural habitat.  It is crazy how many times I thought I capture a perfect moment, only to listen to the video and realize there was a plane flying noise in the background, or a dog barking in the distance, or the mic was picking up my breathing the whole time.  What I really need a is some sort of telescopic mic, that only picks up sound in a small region around the subject.  My Rode does pick more sound in front, then from the rear, but when set to high sensitivity, it still picks up a lot of stuff behind it. 

18 hours ago, The Jungle Explorer said:

I am shooting with a Sony A6500.  I am shooting at XAVC S 4K 30P 60M.  Should I be shooting in some other setting?  My videos look fantastic to my eyes. 

Here is a screen shot of the properties of one of my videos.

sample.jpg

Looks like the video is already compressed to H264 coming right out of that camera. But to be honest, I don't know as much about video codecs as I should. That would be a @Doug Jensen  question.

2 hours ago, Milo J said:

Looks like the video is already compressed to H264 coming right out of that camera. But to be honest, I don't know as much about video codecs as I should. That would be a @Doug Jensen  question.

Ha, ha.  I'm not going to step into this mess and just have a bunch of people pissed at me because they don't want to hear the truth.  People ask for advice, but they often don't really want to hear it when it means making changes they don't want to make. 

15 hours ago, The Jungle Explorer said:

I do have a rode pro mic and it is quite amazing, but the truth is, there is almost nowhere, in the US especially, where there is true silence in nature.  At least not when you are shooting, which with my style is almost always a random unexpected event because I mostly film true wild animals in their natural habitat.  It is crazy how many times I thought I capture a perfect moment, only to listen to the video and realize there was a plane flying noise in the background, or a dog barking in the distance, or the mic was picking up my breathing the whole time.  What I really need a is some sort of telescopic mic, that only picks up sound in a small region around the subject.  My Rode does pick more sound in front, then from the rear, but when set to high sensitivity, it still picks up a lot of stuff behind it. 

You are more specialized than I thought! :) Cool!

On 8/26/2020 at 3:45 PM, The Jungle Explorer said:

My upload speed is like .03 Mbps on average.

0.03 Mpbs for upload? Are you sure? With that upload speed it's ok compress in h.264 at this time. But worry in increase that speed to eventually compress in ProRes. Or do what Milo J says: "Here's a thought: do you have a good friend or family member living in a city with a fast connection? You could ship them a thumb drive with a bunch of files and ask them to do the upload."

Im courius, what lens do you have?

On 8/31/2020 at 9:42 AM, Jeremy Lopez Foppiani said:

0.03 Mpbs for upload? Are you sure? With that upload speed it's ok compress in h.264 at this time. But worry in increase that speed to eventually compress in ProRes. Or do what Milo J says: "Here's a thought: do you have a good friend or family member living in a city with a fast connection? You could ship them a thumb drive with a bunch of files and ask them to do the upload."

Im courius, what lens do you have?

I use one of three primary lenses.  My all around is the Sony 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS.   This is a really good lens for walking around.  When I am shooting wildlife, I use mostly use a Sigma 120-400mm f/4.5-5.6 AF APO DG HSM, which on my A6500 gives me about 600mm of reach.  This is an older model of lens, but I can get some really sharp video with it, if the light is good.  If I can get close enough or need to shoot in lower light, I use the Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM.

Here is a video I got recently.  I took me several weeks of studying this wild coyote's patterns to get into a position close enough to get this shot.  https://stock.adobe.com/stock-photo/id/374204545

Here is one with sound.  It is okay, but I would like to get much better sound than this. https://stock.adobe.com/stock-photo/id/374071701

On 8/27/2020 at 7:02 PM, Doug Jensen said:

Ha, ha.  I'm not going to step into this mess and just have a bunch of people pissed at me because they don't want to hear the truth.  People ask for advice, but they often don't really want to hear it when it means making changes they don't want to make. 

I hope you are not talking about me.  I listened to your advice.  I may not be in a financial spot to implement it right now, but that does not mean I did not hear what you said.  It like captain Jack Sparrow says.  
"The only thing that really matters is, what a man can do, and what a man can't do."