Sign in to follow this  
Evgeniia Ozerkina

Do you think this is a serious breakdown after dropping the camera?

Hi
I dropped my camera. Now objects are not focused in the viewfinder, there are no red dots, but a squeak is heard as focusing, but the frames are clear. The problem is I can't see what I'm photographing.
Do you think it will be cheap or expensive to fix?

By the way, tell us about your experience in fixing photo cameras, do you use official services or not?

And if someone is from Moscow, then advise a good service

14 minutes ago, Studio 2 said:

Oh dear. Sorry to hear that. I can't advise but this thread might help to a degree (different accident). Hope you can get it fixed.

Thanks for the sympathy.
I no longer have insurance. The body of the camera should be repaired for my money or sold for spare parts.

Never place your camera bag on the seat of your car. The bag fell due to very hard braking.

Evgeniia,

In the past I have had minor repairs made to my camera (cameras) and unless the repair is quite simple, I've found that the cost of repair exceeds the value of the camera.   I live in the United States which is a different market than Russia but I suspect you will find similar cost where you live.  It's hard to tell the extent of the damage based upon your description but the squeaking noise does not sound good.  See if you can get a local estimate but I suspect the labor cost will make the repair a poor "investment". 

I know we never like additional expenses but this might be an opportunity to "upgrade" your camera body.   Good luck!   

What kind of Camera? Fixed lens? If not, do you have the same problem with other lenses?  Can you (still) focus manually? 

4 hours ago, Rudy Umans said:

What kind of Camera? Fixed lens? If not, do you have the same problem with other lenses?  Can you (still) focus manually? 

canon mark 3, I have a few lenses (fixed and not). Doesn't work with any lenses. I haven't tried manual focus. I'll try tomorrow.

A lack of focus (red) squares and not focused viewfinder makes me think that the focus screen may have been bumped out of place. That would be the best case scenario. Doesn't explain focus squeaking but might be worth having a quick look at. 

Sorry to hear this, once i got a sensor problem with a Nikon D800, the replacement cost was exactly double what the camera worth at that time so i sold it , of course mentioning the sensor issue, it was usable but not for stock.

On 8/25/2020 at 9:34 PM, chris kolaczan said:

A lack of focus (red) squares and not focused viewfinder makes me think that the focus screen may have been bumped out of place. That would be the best case scenario. Doesn't explain focus squeaking but might be worth having a quick look at. 

That and the images are actually OK might be the mirror has been dislodged. But I like your focus screen idea.

I finally got to the service. The master looked at the camera, twisted the viewfinder setting and that's it. Said that the wheel of the viewfinder turned because of the impact. He took no money. I am ashamed that such an obvious thing did not occur to me.

45 minutes ago, Evgeniia Ozerkina said:

I finally got to the service. The master looked at the camera, twisted the viewfinder setting and that's it. Said that the wheel of the viewfinder turned because of the impact. He took no money. I am ashamed that such an obvious thing did not occur to me.

A mother (or father) always thinks the worse when something happens to their baby.

Don't be ashamed. It was a good thing you were worried