Sign in to follow this  
george green

I have returned.... for now.

Posted (edited)

I suspended my portfolio from sales for a month but have now returned.

Why did I suspend my portfolio after 15 years with Shutterstock?

Two reasons:

1. Payment structure changes which. Enough has been said of this....... still fuming

In my month away I have sold 1 picture on Al*my for more than a month of Shutterstock sales would give me.

I have had numerous sales of my famous 'Cow and Gate' picture through Ad*be for over 70c a time when I was only getting 10c a time here.

Consequently I have removed both my 'Cow and Gate' shots from Shutterstock.

2. I had uploaded new images of cattle.....accepted by Ad*be and others, but THREE times they were rejected by Shutterstock for NOT ENGLISH! I brought this to the attention of reviewers but am not satisfied with their reasons and continual rejection of this photo.

So you can tell I am not a happy bunny. I am loath to completely sever my connection s with Shutterstock but may do so, but it is fair to say it is not the agency it once was and I wonder what the founder really thinks of recent developments.

Edited by george green
spelling

2 hours ago, Mike Kuhlman said:

So...with all those negatives, why have you returned...?

I ask myself the same question, Mike.¬†ūü§Ē

I returned because Shutterstock owe me money and I will stay till I reach minimum payment level which used to be a month or two at the most, now it will probably be 6 months to a year!  Also after investing 15 years building a diverse and often unique portfolio here I am loath to destroy that without giving the system a chance.

On the positive side I do get sales of more than 10c and the volume of sales has been pretty good, but as I said ,... I am not happy at the moment and my position is under review. 

39 minutes ago, george green said:

After investing 15 years building a diverse and often unique portfolio here I am loath to destroy that without giving the system a chance.

On the positive side I do get sales of more than 10c and the volume of sales has been pretty good...

That's the way I feel about it.  For me, the commission change hasn't been quite the "disaster" so many others have been moaning about.  Might as well hang in there, give the new system 6 months, see what happens before making a rash decision like disabling or deleting one's port.

After the initial "mass exodus" of contributors, we're beginning to see a gradual return of departed contributors like yourself who are hearing about the $.73 subs they've been missing out on.

I have removed my biggest seller though...a cow hung over a gate which has sold over 900 times here..... as it is so unique that 10c sales are not good enough and I don't want to undermine myself and higher value sales at Ad*be, which I must admit have grown over 40% during my period away.

Another pro for Shutterstock is the ease of uploading Editorial shots and something I want to do more of. Adobe does not accept editorials except by invitation.

I see no reason to re-enable sales until the pay structure changes.

Sure, I miss out on a few $0.73 subs but every $0.10 sale eats $0.28 out of every one of those bigger sales (because every one of those sales would have got me 38 cents before). The numbers just don't work (for me).

I've also had sales on A and P5 since shutting down here and those numbers make up for what I'm "missing" here.

I pulled from IS when they started giving out sub 10 cent commissions. I see no reason to go back there either.

If the price of entry to this market is accepting a majority of 10 cent commissions then I'm not interested in the market. 25 cents was bad enough.

Having said that, you do you. Best of luck.

1 hour ago, Studio 2 said:

I think that from his point of view the microstock model no longer makes sense. He knows the real numbers, the ones we never get to see. He knows how shutterstock has evolved recently. He has lost his confidence in the business model he co-founded.

Corona may have had a hand in that. In my view, the biggest part is mismanagement, wrong decisions and misalignments. But he may have lost interest in this business long ago.

Much more decisive than what Oringer is doing is the question of what those who took over the business from him are doing. And in my opinion, they are swimming around in the area completely disoriented. Destroying not only our livelihood, but their own livelihood as well.

I personally believe that the microstock business model will continue to exist for a long time to come, albeit under different circumstances. I personally doubt that shutterstock will survive in this business model in the medium term. But I readily admit that I can be wrong. In a year or two we will know more.

"I have had numerous sales of my famous 'Cow and Gate' picture through Ad*be for over 70c a time when I was only getting 10c a time here."

that sounds like a 7 times more reasonable rate! Lucky for you that the Adobe sales compensate for the loss at SS. Not sure if AS has a similar tier (now called level) system, but mostly I seem to get only the 33 cent sales there lately and that won't lift my spirit much either. Especially that not too many even of those. SS still wins the "volume game" hands down (for me), only at a miserable, laughable, disguasting rate. Though at AS my average is 77 cents and here around 47. Only that I get no volume at AS. So it's not a real "substitute" for me at the moment. It would be interesting to calculate the RPD of your cow photo in the last full month you posted it here (after June 1st) and over at AS. I still bet that it won't be like 10 to 70. But I am NOT trying to influence you in any way! Just curious.

9 hours ago, Blue Corner Studio said:

"I have had numerous sales of my famous 'Cow and Gate' picture through Ad*be for over 70c a time when I was only getting 10c a time here."

that sounds like a 7 times more reasonable rate! Lucky for you that the Adobe sales compensate for the loss at SS. Not sure if AS has a similar tier (now called level) system, but mostly I seem to get only the 33 cent sales there lately and that won't lift my spirit much either. Especially that not too many even of those. SS still wins the "volume game" hands down (for me), only at a miserable, laughable, disguasting rate. Though at AS my average is 77 cents and here around 47. Only that I get no volume at AS. So it's not a real "substitute" for me at the moment. It would be interesting tocalculate the RPD of your cow photo in the last full month you posted it here (after June 1st) and over at AS. I still bet that it won't be like 10 to 70. But I am NOT trying to influence you in any way! Just curious.

I'm no statistician Blue Corner, but in June my cow sold 9 times here at SS for a total of $1 .YES! YES! Lets do cartwheels and have a party!!!

In the same period it only sold twice at Ad* for a total of $1.73 ie 86.5c per download.

Sales of the shot increased at Ad* while I was away, never less than 70c per download. Hence my removal of those shots from SS 

I will do the same for other shots that repeatedly sell for less at SS.

You are right, SS wins on volume of sales, but they will no longer get my best shots. 

2 hours ago, george green said:

I'm no statistician Blue Corner, but in June my cow sold 9 times here at SS for a total of $1 .YES! YES! Lets do cartwheels and have a party!!!

In the same period it only sold twice at Ad* for a total of $1.73 ie 86.5c per download.

Sales of the shot increased at Ad* while I was away, never less than 70c per download. Hence my removal of those shots from SS 

I will do the same for other shots that repeatedly sell for less at SS.

You are right, SS wins on volume of sales, but they will no longer get my best shots. 

that's a simple enough math George, a 10 cent is a 10 cent. not very attractive no mather where you look at it from. perhaps I will do the same, i.e.: delete a few better selling images that also sell either at AS or iS. missing out on a few 10 cents is not a huge loss. tx. for the tip. food for thought. and good luck to you at AS!  

I can't help but wondering! I have one (maybe more) photo(s) that gets downloaded at several micro site and I suspect that some of those come from google search, now! I get around a Buck per download for it at AS, some 80+ cents at iS, also 95 cents at DT on average. but only around 50 cents here at SS and most of those were downloads from back in the "good old days" and obviously every new 10 cent sale brings that further down. Now, I wouldn't mind deleting it here (the 10 cents reason), but I can't decide if I am shooting myself in the foot by doing so in a manner of speaking? because it might hurt the google search side, no? I think the Google "memory" may stay in place for around a couple of weeks after deleting the target file. and if the link is broken, a thumbnail image still remains, but the buyer may get annoyed and not buy it even if he/she finds it offered at a different micro site. any thoughts on that?  

Posted (edited)

I don't know how the Google algorithm works, but I do believe that if a buyer has a specific image in mind he will buy it from either the agency his employer has a contract/subscription with whatever the cost, or from the cheapest supplier he can find if he has a quick choice available. Few buyers will spend too long searching in order to save themselves $1 or less.

The removal of photos is a risk. If a lot of buyers who use SS no longer see my portfolio  and buy other shots, which must happen, as they don't get access through my cow pic then I will have metaphorically shot myself in the foot. At the moment I am prepared to take that risk.

Edited by george green
Spelling

The removal of photos is a risk. If a lot of buyers who use SS no longer see my portfolio  and buy other shots, which must happen, as they don't get access through my cow pic then I will have metaphorically shot myself in the foot. At the moment I am prepared to take that risk.

Thx George. As they say: no pain, no gain. Maybe I will apply that philosophy here too. Besides, the sale of that photo at other sites outweigh the sale of it at SS. I am sure it will not just vanish into nothing overnight. It may even result more or better sales at these other sites!? Good bye 10 cent sales : ).