Have your earnings increased, decreased, or about stayed the same since the payment cut?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've had over 150 downloads since June. Even if they were all subs, with the old rates, I would have had a payout by now. But my earnings are well below the payout limit and it looks as if I'll n

I can't recall Shutterstock claiming the new earning structure would benefit contributors. Even they did not dare to try to sell us such a lie. They said it would "create fair opportunities for all

I used to get a minimum payment every month, now it has taken me 3 months to get to the minimum. Having said that, so far I have deleted about 500 photos (mainly commercial) since June, out of 3000 so

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Photography by Adri said:

I'd love to see updates on this now that we're well into January!

Hi Adri!

Long time no see... I hope your doing okay! 

It took me a bit of time to figure out the number but basically here are my numbers month by month:

Level 3

June -27%           (increased number of sales so increase in my monthly income though)

July -10% 

August -4%          (both July and august were terrible in term of download number too)

Level 4

September +11%

October -4%

November +30%

December +15%

So it seems that you start actually to win money when you reach level 4 (for me as I was new and at the first level before). Before that it is only a loss of money so I guess it a question of when you reach this level. If it's before june it's okay but if it's after you'll be loosing money... 

Of course this month is terrible and you can really feel the reset! To add to this, I feel a decrease in download numbers and most of those are 10c subs... 

1 hour ago, Awana JF said:

Hi Adri!

Long time no see... I hope your doing okay! 

It took me a bit of time to figure out the number but basically here are my numbers month by month:

Level 3

June -27%           (increased number of sales so increase in my monthly income though)

July -10% 

August -4%          (both July and august were terrible in term of download number too)

Level 4

September +11%

October -4%

November +30%

December +15%

So it seems that you start actually to win money when you reach level 4 (for me as I was new and at the first level before). Before that it is only a loss of money so I guess it a question of when you reach this level. If it's before june it's okay but if it's after you'll be loosing money... 

Of course this month is terrible and you can really feel the reset! To add to this, I feel a decrease in download numbers and most of those are 10c subs... 

Unfortunately, I have to disagree from my personal point of view, Awana.

Level 4 or 5 has not brought an increase in revenue, but losses. And level 6 contributors have reported the same.

There were exceptional months because notable SODs came in. On average, shutterstock simply calculated well and cleverly. And certainly not to the advantage of the contributors.

2 hours ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

Unfortunately, I have to disagree from my personal point of view, Awana.

Of course I'm only speaking for me. I joined in 2019 so I was having 0.25$ for subs and 1.88$ for ODD. I didn't take SOD into account for my calculation because it's harder to evaluate, but it was 20% before and 25% as level 3 and 30% as level 4 (so that would actualy be slightly better than I reported). I didn't take video into account, for which the loss is more important (30% before vs 15% as level 1 now). I don't sell video very often, but then the loss is x2 everytime I sell one (and I'm pretty sure the SODs increase doesn't make up for it)... 

So my numbers are just a comparison of what I earned with subs and ODD vs what I would have earned before. I agree that the numbers would probably be different if I was a former tier 2 or 3...

I still think that on the long run we are loosing money! Because small contributor would never reach the level that allow them to win money, and old contributor that reach former tier 3 would need to reach higher level to actualy win money. And while we are not winning? Well we are loosing obviously...

In 2021 I should reach the 500$ and will start making my stat based on what I would have earned back then and I'm pretty sure the number are going to be quite different...

On 1/20/2021 at 6:53 PM, Creatus said:

Trick question right?

Anyway here's my graph for January on SS from start to finish because as you can imagine I am very close to pulling the plug here. I can tell you that my best January on SS was just over $1k so you do the math!

52612138_ShutterstockEarningsJan2012-2021.thumb.png.94409be5d252533da749318e411736c7.png

I would love to tell you that it's better elsewhere (AS, P5,...) and while the RPD is a lot better the sales volume just isn't there or even non existent. This market is drying up rapidly for the average contributor. Unfortunately there is still a lot of manipulation going on as well with reviews, exposure (favouring certain countries/contributors) and what not so it's a lose-lose situation for many of us. Because of this sales on new images have been non existent for the past few years for many of us.

It is what it is right, we can only continue to complain about it or adapt to the situation and halt uploads or pull the plug completely like many have already done and I probably will too in the near future.

Good luck and take care peeps!

(almost) Over and Out ;)

My personal comparison:

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-22 um 10.05.31.png

3 hours ago, Whiteaster said:

It looks like that, I have the same experience. The number of $0.10 downloads start to decrease just after level 3-4, as this table shows, (though those are not all the commission prices):

Doesn't quite tell the story though, even on L5 the majority of subs are 10c because most people who buy a lot of subs are large organisations that have those massive packages.

You get a little more yes but most of your sub sales are going to be 10c regardless of level.

1 hour ago, Former_Poster said:

You get a little more yes but most of your sub sales are going to be 10c regardless of level.

Yes, the 350 and 750 image subscription will always be 10c but this month ODD-s and SOD-s have shrunk terribly. I have an ODD for $0.55 and all of them are under $2, that never happened last year at L 4-5.

2 hours ago, RogerMechan said:

I only sell around 50 D/L per month. I was on 25c. Since the change my average pay out is around 40c per D/L. 

That's good if it's just for subs, as the 25c was just subs? ..however, if it includes OD's etc then that's not like for like?..