Have your earnings increased, decreased, or about stayed the same since the payment cut?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've had over 150 downloads since June. Even if they were all subs, with the old rates, I would have had a payout by now. But my earnings are well below the payout limit and it looks as if I'll n

I can't recall Shutterstock claiming the new earning structure would benefit contributors. Even they did not dare to try to sell us such a lie. They said it would "create fair opportunities for all

I used to get a minimum payment every month, now it has taken me 3 months to get to the minimum. Having said that, so far I have deleted about 500 photos (mainly commercial) since June, out of 3000 so

Posted Images

The trouble is that just when you're absolutely sick and tired of seeing all those ten&teen-centers float by and your finger is hovering over the 'end-my-torture' button....this happens:

1971582399_NickPic0122020-08-2018_41_35.jpg.d0e624233ee2161aeed16ffbad381926.jpg

and you're in for another month. Had a smaller SOD earlier this month just when things were looking desperate and now my total for the month is already nearly 2X last month's total!

On 8/12/2020 at 10:58 AM, Photography by Adri said:

Have you seen a general increase, or decrease, (or neither) in your earnings?

Hard to say with much confidence.  Pro-rating August and comparing the first five months (pre change) to the last three months (pre/post):

average monthly income: 142/134 (possibly due to a disastrous July of 96 bringing down the average)

average monthly downloads: 225/197 (hard to blame us getting ripped off for slightly lower downloads)

average monthly net/download: 0.64/0.71 (so RPD is actually up)

So time will tell, but my experience with stock in general is a steady downward slope.

As of August 2020, about the same, which is to say $20-$25 a month on average (I rarely made more money than that, even before the commission change).

Downloads generally increase around the holidays, so by January 2021, we'll have a 6-month overview to compare with the latter 6 months of 2019 to determine whether this commission change has been beneficial to contributors.

I have been a member of a couple different agencies for years and have done decent enough for me.  Since I retired, I have more time to include other agencies and although my photos are not many yet, I find that the $.10 cent sales are hardly worth the time spent submitting them. Yet , I will continue to persevere for a little while longer and see it it improves.

• 4 months later...

Shockingly poor so far this month. Subs are not really the problem...even at level 4 there were many 10 centers (now even more)...but for whatever reason there is a client in NYC or thereabouts that keeps downloading one of my images as a SOD. Until December 31st I got 60 cents for that dl now from 1 Jan I get 30 cents...now in Tier 2, I still only get 30 cents and any of the few ODD's I do get are less than half what I used to get in level 4.

Best thing you can probably do is buy some SSTK stock because all the millions in contributor losses in Q1 feed directly into the SS profit for this quarter and consequently into the management bonuses and options plans! They'll be laughing all the way to the bank in Q1 (which will also be the first full year for new CEO!). Kaching, kaching!

Down 80% in total on last January and roughly the same as a 2020 average.

So its far far worse than thought.

I'm back up through enough levels that the difference is NOT the percentage decrease from those - its just all sales are for lower values.

Video is where its really hurting.

Until this month my average RPD for video was $21.  This month its $5.30.

This isn''t the levels cutting in - its whatever SS is doing, its selling video to buyers at a far far cheaper price than it was previously.  Number of downloads is consistent with last January and yearly average.

Im wondering if they've announced new year special offers or packages im unaware of.  There's a lot more going on here to royalty cuts than the level reset.

It'll be 80% down from January 2020.  This is ridiculous.  I may have to consider to disable my portfolio on Shutterstock again.  It's not worth it.  Adobe Stock and Pond5 are up from January 2020.  I think the buyers aren't buying from Shutterstock.  Shutterstock dug their own grave by being mean to us creators who supply their products.  All the management should get fired or get severe pay cut.  If Shutterstock doesn't get fresh new contents from individual contributors, their business is done.  They'll be bankrupt.  They should reverse the course and respect us contributors.  The new CEO should be fired just like Pond5 fired their ineffective CEO last year.

I've got to that stage now, for video at least.

I'm now seeing my top sellers for for $5 or even $1 a clip instead of the $20+ before this month.  For the tiny amount of money sales will now bring in, it might not be worth it at the risk of undercutting myself and sales elsewhere.

Just now, Former_Poster said:

I've got to that stage now, for video at least.

I'm now seeing my top sellers for for $5 or even $1 a clip instead of the $20+ before this month.  For the tiny amount of money sales will now bring in, it might not be worth it at the risk of undercutting myself and sales elsewhere.

Yes, it's ridiculous seeing very low sales and when I have video sales the price is like 1/10 of what I get on Pond5 or Adobe stock.  If I sell 20 of those low price video clips here, the loss is $1,000.

When many contributors already left Shutterstock and many have turned on and off their portfolio on Shutterstock, buyers see Shutterstock as unreliable stock site.  When I turned off my video portfolio for 3 months, a major TV station people contacted me via Pond5 to buy my clip because he couldn't buy it on Shutterstock.  I wonder many buyers left Shutterstock because Shutterstock don't have clips and photos other sites have due to their disrespect against contributors.

16 minutes ago, blvdone said:

Yes, it's ridiculous seeing very low sales and when I have video sales the price is like 1/10 of what I get on Pond5 or Adobe stock.  If I sell 20 of those low price video clips here, the loss is $1,000.

I've just had a clip where i got $40 commission on P5.

It sold today on SS for $1.27 commission and $2.39 last week.  Previously that clip was averaging $21+ on here.

My highest earning video sale this month was $11.85

If this is the way things are, theres little point leaving a video portfolio here, you'll earn pennies and maybe lose out elsewhere.

Its a shame as video WAS 65% of my income and amounted to hundreds, occasionally thousands a month here on average.

57 minutes ago, Former_Poster said:

I've just had a clip where i got $40 commission on P5.

It sold today on SS for $1.27 commission and $2.39 last week.  Previously that clip was averaging $21+ on here.

My highest earning video sale this month was $11.85

If this is the way things are, theres little point leaving a video portfolio here, you'll earn pennies and maybe lose out elsewhere.

Its a shame as video WAS 65% of my income and amounted to hundreds, occasionally thousands a month here on average.

I agree.  If all buyers stop buying videos on Shutterstock and buy the same videos on Pond5 and Adobe Stock instead, we'll make more money.  Having video portfolio here may be hurting our overall income.  We should definitely consider un-licensing videos on Shutterstock till they get it right.  If they don't get new timely videos Adobe Stock and Pond5 will get, their stock video business will go down.  I hope to see that.