Photography by Adri

Have your earnings increased, decreased, or about stayed the same since the payment cut?

Shutterstock claimed that the new earnings structure would benefit contributors. I thought that was BS, and disabled my port. But it's been a while now, so I'm wondering - those of you who didn't disable your portfolios, how have your earnings changed? Have you seen a general increase, or decrease, (or neither) in your earnings?

1 minute ago, Studio 2 said:

You may have some difficulty seeing August's money 😆🙁😳

Ouch. That hurts to look at! :(
I met another photographer in the park today, turns out he is also a microstock contributor. He said that his earnings have stayed about the same, so I'm quite curious as to what the average contributor is experiencing.

I can't recall Shutterstock claiming the new earning structure would benefit contributors. Even they did not dare to try to sell us such a lie.
They said it would "create fair opportunities for all our contributors" - by "fair" meaning that everyone strats from scratch each year, so has the same chance at low commission rates -, and "reward performance with greater earnings potential", meaning, exactly what is written. You will be rewarded with the potential to earn more, not actually with a higher monthly income. It's like saying "If you play the lottery, you have the potential to become a millionaire". Sure, you can possibly earn more than what you would have earned before on individual sales if you are lucky, but these sales are so rare, that in no way they make up for the 90% of sales that earn you less money than what they would have earned you before. At least that's how it is for me. Most of my sales are 0.10-0.20$ now. From time to time I will get a ODD that is 3 or 4$, but even most ODDs are lower than what I used to get for them before.

I did the actual math for June, calculating what the same downloads would have earned previously. So, while the earnings were not terrible, I did have an overall loss of 28%.

746670589_ScreenShot2020-07-01at8_12_10AM.png.ab9ddbbcca7448bbd273887193ba48bc.png

Screenshot_20200812-214448_Contributor.jpg.26f6906dd3c9955a8a329cf695d6a871.jpg

I've had over 150 downloads since June. Even if they were all subs, with the old rates, I would have had a payout by now.

But my earnings are well below the payout limit and it looks as if I'll need many, many more sales for it to go over.

That's how terrible the new rates have been for me.

I used to get a minimum payment every month, now it has taken me 3 months to get to the minimum. Having said that, so far I have deleted about 500 photos (mainly commercial) since June, out of 3000 so far, and am accelerating the deletions as I see more and more pathetic subs coming in. I am hoping to be out of here by November at the latest. it is just awful seeing Photos being sold for 10 cents. The Good news though is that I am seeing increases in sales in the other Agencies I am submitting to which are almost covering my monthly shortfall from SS after the Payment change, with fewer numbers of photos so far uploaded to them than SS.

June on a par with Jan -May. July was around 25% down on the average of the first 6 months. August is looking to be a disaster and without a couple of generous SODs/ELs will be down 50% on the previous average...in which case I'm about to delete my port.

Really can't stand those 10-&teen-cents subs....eet reely peeses me orf.

4 minutes ago, stevemart said:

June on a par with Jan -May. July was around 25% down on the average of the first 6 months. August is looking to be a disaster and without a couple of generous SODs/ELs will be down 50% on the previous average...in which case I'm about to delete my port.

My August is very slow in terms of downloads but, in terms of dollars, I'm actually ahead of where I would have been under the old system by about 9%. Not much consolation for the lack of sales, however.

June and July I was down compared to where I would have been under the old system.

My sales are still on par with the previous year being slightly above in terms of #DL's plus $$ earned, but would definitely be higher on the video side if they didn't cut my amts by 15% from what they were previously.

919270549_ScreenShot2020-08-12at10_36_57AM.thumb.png.8226f5ccc1d2d25a03203b431b256999.png

Adri,

June was down approx. 40% from an average month.  Worst month I've had in Years.  July, however, was the best month I had in the last year thanks to 3 SOD, two of which were over $70.00.  August at the current time will be an average month if things continue as they have so far.

While this sounds encouraging, I recognize that one good month means nothing.  I quit uploading in June and I haven't changed my mind yet.

June my average per download was down to 17c.  July was 42c - which is the higher end of what I usually managed before if I do not count the odd month where I got large figure singles.  So far August not looking good but I will wait till the end of the month and see what the average is.  If I find averages are still around where they were before I will not have a problem.

I fail to see how cutting our rates to ten cents benefits contributors in any way at all. Basically, it’s been a 60% cut across the board. My earnings are much lower. I can’t imagine anyone is benefiting from this new arrangement. 

1 hour ago, stevemart said:

Someone reading this??? Just had a SOD for $32.40 which keeps me here for yet another month!

6 minutes ago, TD Dolci said:

I can’t imagine anyone is benefiting from this new arrangement. 

There was never any intention to benefit the contributors with their profiteering. Sstock is most certainly benefiting and JO is selling his shares like there is no tomorrow. 

Earnings are about the same, aided mostly by video clip sales.  For some strange reason, my video clips have actually started selling since the commission change, whereas before the change, they were not selling at all.  Makes me want to submit more video clips!

Earnings were also aided by sub sales way higher than my former $.33.  Yes, there have been some $.10 sub sales, but there have also been some $.48, $.56 and $.73 sub sales.

38 minutes ago, stevemart said:

Someone reading this??? Just had a SOD for $32.40 which keeps me here for yet another month!

That probably would have been $90.00 2 months ago

# of downloads about the same. Earnings @ 50% 

The good news is that for my 2020 taxes, I might be able to deduct SS from my taxes as a charity or as a marketing expense. Not sure yet.

4 minutes ago, Rudy Umans said:

That probably would have been $90.00 2 months ago

A couple of years ago was the last time I had a SOD of that size.

2 hours ago, TD Dolci said:

I fail to see how cutting our rates to ten cents benefits contributors in any way at all. Basically, it’s been a 60% cut across the board. My earnings are much lower. I can’t imagine anyone is benefiting from this new arrangement. 

Someone is benefitting.  It’s just not individual contributors.

No doubt in my mind that they never worried about the contributors. Whoever is is benefiting from this restructuring, it is definitely not us. Every  time I get 10c for my downloads, I feel absolutely disgusted and I'm level 4 or 5 (it's all BS).Shame on them! I'll finish this year but come January, I won't be uploading anything new.