11 hours ago, MJD Graphics said:

I've followed Kirsty for quite some time ( I paint myself), but she doesn't do paintings that sell only once. She refuses to do 'commissioned' work and sells her paintings as prints on a number of art sites. She has stated in videos that the most of her income comes from tutorials on YT (ads) and courses that she sells through amongst others on Patreon. There is another person on YT that basically does the same thing as Kirsty, her name is Makoccino. But to start this kind of business at this time you probably must have something that is really unique as for most things there is just too much competition to build up the number of followers, etc that you would need to make it a high earning business.

Will have a look at Makoccino’s channel too for inspiration 😉 It’s just another hobby for me (sketching) and I find it interesting to see how artists can still make a living, eventhough it’s not from the art itself.

On 9/10/2020 at 11:38 AM, Repelsteeltje said:

I was thinking along the lines with @Doug Jensen and his courses on video, or @Alexandre Rotenberg and his guide to Microstock as examples of earning additional income with sharing knowledge.

Go for it!

Little known fact is that my book all started from a relatively short (300-word) rant blog post on Linkedin, entitled "Why I'm Frustrated with Stock Photography and There's Light at the End of the Tunnel". Wasn't really expecting much and was surprised that the post was well-received. Then I thought I would be able to expand on that with a larger more detailed post (about 1,000 words). After reaching 1,000 words I wanted to go into more detail and it eventually turned into 35,000 words, which is the book (I could have gone further but wanted to leave some room for a second edition). The original blog post sort of became a skeleton for the book.

When I published the Linkedin post, in Sept 2016, I was earning very little and my port was quite small (just over 2,000 images and no clips). Four years later, it's 5x larger and with over 1,100 clips. So it propelled me to work harder because I was so frustrated. @Steve Heap was an inspiration at the time and continues to be to this day. Others have also helped me along the way. 

So, there's no harm in starting small and testing the audiences. Quickly you'll be able to feel whether you're in the right direction.

I'm sure Doug's course started out the same humble way (it's excellent by the way and I've learned a lot).

Good luck!

@Studio 2

I've been a member of Stocksy since 2014 and recommend applying. It's definitely very difficult getting accepted at this point as they try to keep the membership numbers very low, but if you offer something unique, especially in the video realm it's not impossible. 

Now in terms of royalties it is far and away much better than any microstock website. The minimum commission you make on a sale is $7.50 and it goes up from there, all the way up to $6000 (I've never had a sale that large, but consistently get ones for $300, $1000, and even the rare $2000). 

They are also a co-op which means any changes to the operation of the site has to be voted on by the contributors ie; no surprise "hey we're lowering the prices of everything!"

On 9/12/2020 at 12:39 PM, Jeremy Pawlowski said:

I've been a member of Stocksy since 2014 and recommend applying.

As they demand exclusivity to the point of you are not even allowed to upload material from the same shoot to other agencies - do you feel that their earnings justify that?

On 9/12/2020 at 9:39 PM, Jeremy Pawlowski said:

@Studio 2

I've been a member of Stocksy since 2014 and recommend applying. It's definitely very difficult getting accepted at this point as they try to keep the membership numbers very low, but if you offer something unique, especially in the video realm it's not impossible. 

Now in terms of royalties it is far and away much better than any microstock website. The minimum commission you make on a sale is $7.50 and it goes up from there, all the way up to $6000 (I've never had a sale that large, but consistently get ones for $300, $1000, and even the rare $2000). 

They are also a co-op which means any changes to the operation of the site has to be voted on by the contributors ie; no surprise "hey we're lowering the prices of everything!"

I've tryed two times. First time they seemd interested in my Surmi portraits, but when I answered that I had no release for them, and that is not possible to have a real one (those people can't read or write at all), they didn't bore to replay anymore, not even to say "No thank you". The second time I got no answer at all. 

@Alexandre Rotenberg 

Please, tell me what are the requirements for collage from Arcangel. If you take three photos from SS and make a collage. Doesn't this collage fit Arcangel? Is it considered a non-exclusive violation? And if, as a simplified example, take the shoes from the front, top and side. If the front view is loaded onto the SS, can the same boots from the same survey be taken from the top and side and loaded onto Arcangel?

47 minutes ago, Evgeniia Ozerkina said:

@Alexandre Rotenberg 

Please, tell me what are the requirements for collage from Arcangel. If you take three photos from SS and make a collage. Doesn't this collage fit Arcangel? Is it considered a non-exclusive violation? And if, as a simplified example, take the shoes from the front, top and side. If the front view is loaded onto the SS, can the same boots from the same survey be taken from the top and side and loaded onto Arcangel?

We're talking about the lowest pricing points and loose licensing requirements vs the highest pricing points with strict specific licensing requirements.

These should not mix and the risk is too high for limited rewards. It's more about common sense of what is considered similar. I believe if it's the same object, lighting conditions, filter then it's probably similar.  

My strategy is always to upload first with Arcangel in mind and the rejected (non-similars) can go on micros, when applicable. 

Had two shots yesterday that I'd be surprised if Arcangel reject, but it's not the end of the world as they would probably do quite well on micros. I have similars but will not mix if accepted on Arcangel. 

Eh-lN7UXgAIitbY.jpg

1 hour ago, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

We're talking about the lowest pricing points and loose licensing requirements vs the highest pricing points with strict specific licensing requirements.

These should not mix and the risk is too high for limited rewards. It's more about common sense of what is considered similar. I believe if it's the same object, lighting conditions, filter then it's probably similar.  

My strategy is always to upload first with Arcangel in mind and the rejected (non-similars) can go on micros, when applicable. 

Had two shots yesterday that I'd be surprised if Arcangel reject, but it's not the end of the world as they would probably do quite well on micros. I have similars but will not mix if accepted on Arcangel. 

Eh-lN7UXgAIitbY.jpg

Thank you. Great shots and I like the haze. I suppose the SS would have rejected such shots. And you have a release for a man in a red T-shirt? Or does Arcangel require no release for people from the back? Can I use Nasa photo in Arcangel?

20 minutes ago, Evgeniia Ozerkina said:

Thank you. Great shots and I like the haze. I suppose the SS would have rejected such shots. And you have a release for a man in a red T-shirt? Or does Arcangel require no release for people from the back? Can I use Nasa photo in Arcangel?

Arcangel don't ask for releases up front. They put all responsibility on contributor to provide if he so chooses, but they'll ask if you have one should a buyer wish to license an image. 

In this case, it's my opinion that none is required as person is not clearly identifiable. 

I wouldn't recommend using NASA photos in Arcangel, perhaps as a composite it may be OK. 

9 minutes ago, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

Arcangel don't ask for releases up front. They put all responsibility on contributor to provide if he so chooses, but they'll ask if you have one should a buyer wish to license an image. 

In this case, it's my opinion that none is required as person is not clearly identifiable. 

I wouldn't recommend using NASA photos in Arcangel, perhaps as a composite it may be OK. 

Yes, part of the Nasa element is in the composition. Thanks

@Milo J

I guess that depends on how good you are at uploading across multiple agencies!

I personally only upload here and Stocksy as I find the other agencies too cumbersome to make it worth my while to spend the time uploading/keywording, so yes for me it is totally worth it (for example I have an image that has sold here 59 times and the amount I've earned from it equates to selling it 3 times at the lowest license fee possible at Stocksy).

But if you are uploading your photos across all of the non-exclusive microstock sites it might make more sense to keep doing that so you are pulling from multiple buyers.

thanks Alexandre it's good of you to post your work here. I did actually follow up on your original post and send a sample to them but they were all rejected. I did think very carefully and selected ones based on your comments and from reading your news letters. Still they did say I could do it again so perhaps in a few months I try again. Best Matylda

Following another freebie commission for a charity event I took a 14 day free trial of SmugMug so the people involved could privately view the photos; a bonus of the site is people can order prints directly from a photo printing service and you can set the level of commission you receive. I was looking forward to a modest payout only to learn I would need to take out a higher level subscription, around £20 per month, to benefit. For a pro photographer with regular such commissions, or aiming to sell prints directly, I can see this would be worthwhile but not so in my case at the present time. Shame as I rather liked how my site looked!

19 minutes ago, Matylda Laurence said:

thanks Alexandre it's good of you to post your work here. I did actually follow up on your original post and send a sample to them but they were all rejected. I did think very carefully and selected ones based on your comments and from reading your news letters. Still they did say I could do it again so perhaps in a few months I try again. Best Matylda

You're welcome, Matylda. Try again in a few weeks! I was rejected at Trevillion recently and will put together another submission soon. 

The most important advice is to try to think like a designer of a book cover...what they're looking for to illustrate their story. The popular saying of "don't judge a book by it's cover" doesn't apply here...absolutely, the book cover needs to stand out!

Most novels these days that are licensed via Arcangel feature themes around nostalgia, heartbreak, WWII, suspense / horror, crime. Use of shadows, colours, even added grain matter much more to add personality. I really like VSCOs for this purpose. 

Really need to get out of this microstock mindset of dumbed down and brightly lit trending concepts for the masses, sold for cheap.

It's about being a fine art photographer as a visual storyteller, probably the reason most of us got into this hobby/profession to begin with.

I perused your port for potentials and I'm sure you'd be able to make some good book covers around this concept of high-heels...just need to think carefully about the concepts and apply excellent technicals. Also need to clone out the brand names. 

Good luck! - Alex

europe-bedfordshire-bedford-november-2018-600w-1240125238.jpg