Hi guys! Update on my application to Arcangel! Afraid it's a 'no' for me. 

Have attached the reply, and the images I'd sent through for their consideration! Interested parties could see what images I used for submission.

I know that my images are actually similar to what could be found on their site, so I don't quite agree with the 'not right for [their] collection' feedback. BUT, I also know that my submission lacked sorely in staged compositions, and without a prominent human subject, so I kinda expect the result; I yearned for positive outcome but wasn't confident that it'd happen. I surmised that they don't want more people submitting the same genre over and over again, so it's fair. I get that ; )

Anyhoos, this frees up my waiting to submit (non-microstock images) to FAA! 

On the positive side, I bought a spanking new Fujifilm zoom lens today with earnings from my Shutter sales! So it kinda offset my heartache there (not all, but major offset hehe)!
Maybe I'll try again next year, who knows! ;)

Screenshot 2020-09-09 at 5.14.32 PM.jpg

Screenshot 2020-09-09 at 5.27.41 PM.jpg

Regards FAA they do not sell the images for you - and only really worry about things not being upsized for printing.   It is no good just uploading there - you will then have to go out and advertise your images and create mailing lists and be your own promoter.  To think in physical terms they own a huge big warehouse market with thousands of stalls - they provide the stall you have to provide the stock and do the selling and attract visitors to the giant warehouse to come all the way in to your little stall.

3 hours ago, kandl said:

I bought a spanking new Fujifilm zoom lens today

Sorry to hear about the rejection, hope you will go through next time. Thanks for sharing you submission images. Which lens did you buy? Just curious.

31 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

Regards FAA they do not sell the images for you - and only really worry about things not being upsized for printing.   It is no good just uploading there - you will then have to go out and advertise your images and create mailing lists and be your own promoter.  To think in physical terms they own a huge big warehouse market with thousands of stalls - they provide the stall you have to provide the stock and do the selling and attract visitors to the giant warehouse to come all the way in to your little stall.

Yeah, I read about the heavy-lifting on your own part to do self-promo … but if I don't try, I won't know! : )  And I really do not want to park my "nicer images" (I could be delusional but it's my personal assessment LOL) at Shutterstock.  I didn't know I could make sales at Shutterstock until I registered for an account last Dec, and to date, achieved more than 1000 downloads. So, I guess I gotta start somewhere.

I don't mind having them sitting at FAA while I try to promote them when I am able to, and hopefully to be able to make a sale (at more than the usual 0.10!) one day. Coz really, besides uploading them to my gram, what else could my "nicer images" do? Besides residing in my hard disks, they could reside somewhere else at the same time to hopefully generate some pocket money! :D

Wish me luck on this one!

26 minutes ago, Ackab Photography said:

Sorry to hear about the rejection, hope you will go through next time. Thanks for sharing you submission images. Which lens did you buy? Just curious.

I got myself the flexible zoom lens of 18-135mm!! Was using the 16-50 all this time as I'd already invested in 2 primes prior! Am really excited about this new lens!! Excited to make new images with it!

4 hours ago, kandl said:

Hi guys! Update on my application to Arcangel! Afraid it's a 'no' for me. 

Have attached the reply, and the images I'd sent through for their consideration! Interested parties could see what images I used for submission.

I know that my images are actually similar to what could be found on their site, so I don't quite agree with the 'not right for [their] collection' feedback. BUT, I also know that my submission lacked sorely in staged compositions, and without a prominent human subject, so I kinda expect the result; I yearned for positive outcome but wasn't confident that it'd happen. I surmised that they don't want more people submitting the same genre over and over again, so it's fair. I get that ; )

Anyhoos, this frees up my waiting to submit (non-microstock images) to FAA! 

On the positive side, I bought a spanking new Fujifilm zoom lens today with earnings from my Shutter sales! So it kinda offset my heartache there (not all, but major offset hehe)!
Maybe I'll try again next year, who knows! ;)

Screenshot 2020-09-09 at 5.14.32 PM.jpg

Screenshot 2020-09-09 at 5.27.41 PM.jpg

Yes, you need more people to be taken seriously by AA. These are good but not unique enough to stand out. 

Try again in a few months!

3 hours ago, kandl said:

Yeah, I read about the heavy-lifting on your own part to do self-promo … but if I don't try, I won't know! : )  And I really do not want to park my "nicer images" (I could be delusional but it's my personal assessment LOL) at Shutterstock.  I didn't know I could make sales at Shutterstock until I registered for an account last Dec, and to date, achieved more than 1000 downloads. So, I guess I gotta start somewhere.

I don't mind having them sitting at FAA while I try to promote them when I am able to, and hopefully to be able to make a sale (at more than the usual 0.10!) one day. Coz really, besides uploading them to my gram, what else could my "nicer images" do? Besides residing in my hard disks, they could reside somewhere else at the same time to hopefully generate some pocket money! :D

Wish me luck on this one!

The problem for me is having to pay $30 a year to leave stuff sitting at FAA - and I will be closing it not renewing it.

About new opportunities...

Found a Youtube channel of a young artist - Kirsty Partridge - and she has posted amazing tutorials on (water)color sketching.

She has basically made a succesful business over the years and is now making $350k per year 🤩 

Her full tutorials can be purchased on the website Patreon.com. I was unaware of this website but I believe it could be a good opportunity for anyone with a real talent and that also has the knowledge, skills and equipment on how to make video.

I loved the message on the first page... Guess this also applies to the photography business 😉

D072C4D8-8628-46BA-B069-843E766A26BF.png

28 minutes ago, Repelsteeltje said:

Found a Youtube channel of a young artist - Kirsty Partridge - and she has posted amazing tutorials on (water)color sketching.

She has basically made a succesful business over the years and is now making $350k per year

Yes, really great tips - but she is an ‘artist’ selling her work. It’s not for stock I suppose ...

24 minutes ago, oleschwander said:

Yes, really great tips - but she is an ‘artist’ selling her work. It’s not for stock I suppose ...

She is basically selling her knowledge, and the tutorials are her ‘passive income’ as they keep selling ones uploaded. 

Her artwork is ‘active income’, but it takes time to make them, and they only sell once. So her passive income is where the money is generated. 

This could be of interest to anyone with specific knowledge, including photographers.

I was thinking along the lines with @Doug Jensen and his courses on video, or @Alexandre Rotenberg and his guide to Microstock as examples of earning additional income with sharing knowledge.

Also the graphic designers, illustrators, etc. on here - The ‘how it’s done’ in detail, is what people might still be willing to pay for. Knowledge that goes beyond Youtube video’s.

It’s just an idea 😉

If I had any specific creative talent, I would try this myself. Unfortunately, my best is not good enough, so I am staying on the buyers side for now (and forever) 😄

1 hour ago, oleschwander said:

So it’s on the tutorials she’s earning 300.000 dollars a year - and not stock ...

I am making an educated guess that most of this income is generated by the tutorials, but she also has 1.1 mln followers on Youtube and two ads in the middle of each video. No idea how much can be earned on YT with ads..🤔

On Patreon, she has subscribers - patrons - and on her page you can see that she is earning $ 20k a month on 3300 subscriptions. And in addition to the subscriptions, there are loose tutorial packages available for purchase. 

She has managed to set up a succesful online business basically. And she doesn’t hold back with sharing her knowledge on Youtube either. Unlike some others.. I am following a food blogger, but all I have learn’t from her video’s is which food photography book to buy. 🤨

In any case, I believe nowadays in the ‘making industry’ it is impossible to generate a full time income just out of the artwork. Painters should be willing to make their art available as print, or become a ‘brand’ and sell gadgets with their artwork. 

I have seen a tattoo artist do this. Promoting her Instagram page, showing off her tattoo’s, travelling the world, having many followers and selling t’shirts and all sorts of gadgets as well, via her website and in physical shops. She has promoted herself as a tattoo artist, and because of that (and her talent), she is able to ask a high fee for her tattoo work and only have a limited amount of customers a year. 

7 minutes ago, Studio 2 said:

Thank you for sharing all this interesting information @Repelsteeltje You learn something every day 😊

Your welcome 😄 

I was only looking for a video on ‘how to use watercolor pencils’..😳

And when I saw her first video, I thought ‘wow, she is really good at this’. When she mentioned her earnings per year, I nearly fell off my chair 😂 So here you go. My new hobby is drawing with color pencils.

9 hours ago, Repelsteeltje said:

Her artwork is ‘active income’, but it takes time to make them, and they only sell once.

I've followed Kirsty for quite some time ( I paint myself), but she doesn't do paintings that sell only once. She refuses to do 'commissioned' work and sells her paintings as prints on a number of art sites. She has stated in videos that the most of her income comes from tutorials on YT (ads) and courses that she sells through amongst others on Patreon. There is another person on YT that basically does the same thing as Kirsty, her name is Makoccino. But to start this kind of business at this time you probably must have something that is really unique as for most things there is just too much competition to build up the number of followers, etc that you would need to make it a high earning business.

5 hours ago, Repelsteeltje said:

Your welcome 😄 

I was only looking for a video on ‘how to use watercolor pencils’..😳

And when I saw her first video, I thought ‘wow, she is really good at this’. When she mentioned her earnings per year, I nearly fell off my chair 😂 So here you go. My new hobby is drawing with color pencils.

There is very little money to be made selling paintings through print sites unless you have something really unique, there's a lot of competition and most art sites don't promote your work, you have to do it yourself,  unless you happen to get their attention. As stated Kirsty earns her money from tutorials and ads and not from her paintings.

Also realise both Kirsty and Makaccino are both in (what I think) are in the age range of 25-30 how long will she be able to make 350k a year until she retires. So we are talking about a business that should be sustainable for the next 40 years, I don't see that happening in the fast changing times we live in.

8 hours ago, MJD Graphics said:

Also realise both Kirsty and Makaccino are both in (what I think) are in the age range of 25-30 how long will she be able to make 350k a year until she retires. So we are talking about a business that should be sustainable for the next 40 years, I don't see that happening in the fast changing times we live in.

They are both young indeed, and things do change rapidly, 

But from my perspective, $ 350,000 a year is 8x my gross annual income. 

If she is able to keep this up for the coming years and is careful with her spending, she will be able to buy a nice home and retire early.