1 hour ago, Lipowski Milan said:

I would avoid small stock agencies eg Arc***el. Low sales, low income. 

Looking at the numbers Alexandre kindly provided ( 1222$ from Arcangle in July, 139$ on Shutterstock) I am not sure Arcangle is the agency that should be avoided here. 😕

Arcangle is starting to become intriguing. Out of curiosity, what's the average return on photo sales?

And are images accepted there exclusive or can they be sold elsewhere at the same time? Ive got a feeling that there may be some Rights Managed deals?

1 hour ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Arcangle is starting to become intriguing. Out of curiosity, what's the average return on photo sales?

And are images accepted there exclusive or can they be sold elsewhere at the same time? Ive got a feeling that there may be some Rights Managed deals?

They do have some collections that are Royalty Free / Rights-Managed + non-exclusive but you may only duplicate those are "non-microstock agencies", such as Alamy, Trevillion (which I'm currently pending an application).

I don't think there's much merit in those collections...way too much headache avoiding conflicting licenses and having to pay off potentially massive damages. 

Their bread and butter are the exclusive Rights-Managed collection. 

4 hours ago, Lipowski Milan said:

I would avoid small stock agencies eg Arc***el. Low sales, low income. 

2 hours ago, Firn said:

Looking at the numbers Alexandre kindly provided ( 1222$ from Arcangle in July, 139$ on Shutterstock) I am not sure Arcangle is the agency that should be avoided here. 😕

Low sales certainly but not low income for quality content. 

To be honest, I'm happy you're all excited (although slightly worried that I'm creating more competition for myself lol) about them but it's not for everyone and most contributors will be rejected and even if accepted there will be at least 1 year of constant uploading with no sales, which means that those that are used to the microstock model of relatively quick returns on uploads (on average low income) will be disappointed. 

On 8/19/2020 at 8:28 PM, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

Low sales certainly but not low income for quality content. 

To be honest, I'm happy you're all excited (although slightly worried that I'm creating more competition for myself lol) about them but it's not for everyone and most contributors will be rejected and even if accepted there will be at least 1 year of constant uploading with no sales, which means that those that are used to the microstock model of relatively quick returns on uploads (on average low income) will be disappointed. 

Yes, too much advertisement can be counterproductive : ). On one hand it brings attention to the site (unfortunately in this case probably more so from the "wrong side" of the market), on the other hand people can get carried away with rosy hopes of easy money. The one year wait is not so unusual even at micro stock sites with the massive, massive competition and image offerings of all the players now before any decent money (not at SS any more!) start to come in (if ever). Unless a contributor offers some really unique material. But those are rare. 

23 minutes ago, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

Rejected by Trevillion. 

Will try again with a fresh batch in a few months. The above were speculative imo and a bit rushed. 

That's a shame. Sure you will be accepted in time. I was rejected by Stocksy but expected that. I couldn't quite figure what they want.

Creating fresh photos specifically for these sites is probably best which I didn't do. All the best if you apply again.

Feedback on these applications from contributors is very valuable. Thank you all.

3 hours ago, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

Rejected by Trevillion. 

Will try again with a fresh batch in a few months. The above were speculative imo and a bit rushed. 

perhaps worth to try to submit them at SS : ). though with the portrait orientation?? not so sure : ). it's long odds. I see 2 or 3 landscape formats there too. what's the rational? CD cover or something? 

3 hours ago, Blue Corner Studio said:

perhaps worth to try to submit them at SS : ). though with the portrait orientation?? not so sure : ). it's long odds. I see 2 or 3 landscape formats there too. what's the rational? CD cover or something? 

I've sent the batch over to Arcangel which will probably accept 20-30% as my usual average ratio. 

Most (70% aprox) will end up on micros anyway, except for similars. 

On 8/18/2020 at 8:10 AM, Shirley Cronin said:

Good luck with the submission Alex.

Thanks for the tips also, I was accepted at Arcangel, and will shoot for book covers as a mini project

My submission (might help others)...

arcangel.PNG

Congrats on your success! They are amazing!

I (perhaps) made the mistake of just sending Arcangel the link to my (curated) Instagram account, hoping to "wow" them with the variety and potential (LOL!!!). I have not uploaded many of the images that I love to my Shutter account, save for only a handful (to test the "travel market"); I was very hesitant to upload images that are special to me, and for them to just bring in low amount breaks my heart. 

I have, however, been slowly shortlisting potentials on the side that I think would fit FAA and AA, although, due to insufficient knowledge on the "exclusivity" of where they could be sold, I refrained from sending them to AA, until I have clarity on how to better strategise with my photos. Also, am not sure if the port I send to AA, are images that would be submission-ready or just for their perusal … too many questions

Now feeling slightly down now, coz waiting it out is nerve-wrecking! Well at least I have a batch ready to be sent to them when they send me the dreaded rejection!

Also, much thanks to @Studio 2 for creating this post! Have learnt a great deal from the wonderful contributors here! Thanks all! Much love!!!

And thanks very much again to @Alexandre Rotenberg for your wonderful blog! 

1 hour ago, kandl said:

I (perhaps) made the mistake of just sending Arcangel the link to my (curated) Instagram account, hoping to "wow" them with the variety and potential (LOL!!!). I have not uploaded many of the images that I love to my Shutter account, save for only a handful (to test the "travel market"); I was very hesitant to upload images that are special to me, and for them to just bring in low amount breaks my heart. 

I have, however, been slowly shortlisting potentials on the side that I think would fit FAA and AA, although, due to insufficient knowledge on the "exclusivity" of where they could be sold, I refrained from sending them to AA, until I have clarity on how to better strategise with my photos. Also, am not sure if the port I send to AA, are images that would be submission-ready or just for their perusal … too many questions

Thanks you.

FYI of those images above, only 5 of them were actually able to be submitted (either too small, no model release, for sale elsewhere etc) so images don't have to be submission ready at all. Also, of those submitted, only 2 have been accepted, and 3 of the above were rejected!

Good luck 🙂

10 minutes ago, Ackab Photography said:

@Alexandre Rotenberg mind elaborating on this. Why shouldn't we do that?

There's some room for interpretation on what constitutes a "similar / sister image".

But generally, it's best to avoid duplication because the risk is too great. Supposing a designer purchases a license at Arcangel for 200,000 physical copies to be distributed in the UK, for instance. A similar image is on micros and some trashy blog that runs a fake news story uses it, which then goes viral. The Licensee at Arcangel could make a claim.

Risk is small but there's really no upside in risking, for what average of 38 cents/download (source: August 2020 earnings at SS).

1 minute ago, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

There's some room for interpretation on what constitutes a "similar / sister image".

But generally, it's best to avoid duplication because the risk is too great. Supposing a design purchases a license at Arcangel for 200,000 physical copies to be distributed in the UK, for instance. A similar image is on micros and some trashy blog that runs a fake news story uses it, which then goes viral. The Licensee at Arcangel could make a claim.

Risk is small but there's really no upside in risking, for what average of 38 cents/download (source: August 2020 earnings at SS).

Fair enough, thanks for the quick reply.