SnapASkyline

Stock Agencies' Technical Standards Comparison

One reason I submit to stock photography agencies is to have a litmus test for the quality of my photos over time. However, the only thing that's clear right now is that different agencies seem to have different standards. So far, it seems like Shutterstock and Adobe Stock reject a few photos in every batch submission, Alamy seems to reject all or nothing, and Dreamstime and iStock rarely reject anything. Is this also the case for other people? Or do you have a different experience? I'm also curious as to whether Dreamstime's standards changed over time. When I first started doing photography around 2014/2015, Dreamstime rejected almost everything, but it's been a total 180 when I began submitting with them again earlier this year. 

Alamy does reject all or nothing, it's the way they review. 😁 One fail all fail. And DT seems a little desperate for material, which means, they accept almost anything.

AS and SS have different standards. I have images accepted here that AS has rejected. I have things on AS that SS has rejected. Most "good" images, will pass at both, but there are some artistic considerations that the AS reviewers seem to understand, and pass, while SS has some hard rules that don't take composition or concepts into consideration.

If the intake software rejects an image, before it gets to a reviewer, that's where things can get a bit difficult. For me "focus" seems to be the rejection of the month for July.

This one: "The main subject is out of focus or is not in focus due to camera shake, motion blur, overuse of noise reduction, or technical limitations of the equipment used (e.g. autofocus searching, camera sensor quality, etc),"

Or... this is a vague general list of possible reasons with no specifics, why the software says it fails.Etc. 😉

Yeah, that's been my experience, too. Most rejections come from AS and SS, and neither seem to agree on what to reject lol.

If Alamy's approach is one fail, all fail, then if a batch makes it through their quality control process, then it means all the photos match whatever their standard is, right? So it's not like they review one photo in the batch and if it's good, then all the photos pass, and if it's not, then all the photos fail?

13 hours ago, SnapASkyline said:

So it's not like they review one photo in the batch and if it's good, then all the photos pass, and if it's not, then all the photos fail?

Incorrect, they spot check each batch, not every photo. If they find cause for rejection, they fail the entire batch. Each photographer is expected to review their own photos for technical issues.

That's what I mean. They'll check they entire batch until they find a reason to reject. Which means that if a batch is accepted, then every photo in the batch was screened and had passed, right?

1 hour ago, SnapASkyline said:

That's what I mean. They'll check they entire batch until they find a reason to reject. Which means that if a batch is accepted, then every photo in the batch was screened and had passed, right?

No, they randomly check some, not all. So no, not every photo was screened.

I was just accepted at Alamy and I am in the process of uploading the majority of what I have here to their data base.  Their Keyword process has both a mandatory and optional section.  My question is:  how important are the optional questions?  I am considering not entering the optional stuff, will it's absence affect the buyers ability to locate my image? 

I've chosen to upload in batches of 20 to 30 until I find how stringent their review process is and I can imagine filling in all of the optional info will be very time consuming on 3,000 images.  If the optional stuff is just "fluff" I may forget it.  In addition, is some of the optional stuff more important than others? Does anyone have evidence (know) one way or the other?  Thanks for your input!

On 8/11/2020 at 6:18 PM, Steve Bower said:

I was just accepted at Alamy and I am in the process of uploading the majority of what I have here to their data base.  Their Keyword process has both a mandatory and optional section.  My question is:  how important are the optional questions?  I am considering not entering the optional stuff, will it's absence affect the buyers ability to locate my image? 

I've chosen to upload in batches of 20 to 30 until I find how stringent their review process is and I can imagine filling in all of the optional info will be very time consuming on 3,000 images.  If the optional stuff is just "fluff" I may forget it.  In addition, is some of the optional stuff more important than others? Does anyone have evidence (know) one way or the other?  Thanks for your input!

I've got 15,000 images on Alamy, and they all have the optional data completed.  OK, it takes some time, but it does seem to help buyers find an image, and therefore must help sales.  It certainly isn't "fluff".

On 8/11/2020 at 5:42 AM, Kelly Ermis said:

Incorrect, they spot check each batch, not every photo. If they find cause for rejection, they fail the entire batch. Each photographer is expected to review their own photos for technical issues.

Alamy are great & know their photography (they even accept film scans)  Haven't had one rejection there since dec 2019 & have the same number of photos as I have here (could submit more but had no sales on Alamy yet) but get rejections here saying out of focus when they're not even after downsizing to just over 4 mpix. I did this to try to submit 7 year old vacation pictures taken in the philippines on an old credit card sized Olympus camera but only got one accepted out of 7 although the vivid setting on the cam may have caused the problem. Because it's hard to travel (I was even supposed to be going back there) I've had to dig into my archives.