Michael Muni

Rejected for Posterization?

Can someone please explain to me why this photo I took would be rejected for "Posterization"? I just don't see it, resubmitted and again rejected for same reason.

Colorado Elk.jpg

I am getting this posterization rejection recently and I see NO issues as well. So I submitted the exact two photos two other major photo stock companies and they were accepted. It's quite frustrating and seems to be quite inconsistent.

Zoom into your photo at 100%, you can see clearly it has issues throughout, it needs to be sharp and clear even at 100%. Look in particular at the trees where they meet the sky, looks almost like a oil painting effect has been applied. And the deer in the distance clearly have a white halo like line around them. 
Watch you are not creating these problems in post. Try to avoid it it the first place, but on ones that aren't to bad you could try downsizing to hide it. 
Reviewers will be checking your images at full size, 100%, so you should always check yours at this size or bigger too.

I took these screen grabs at 100%, they've upsized on the forum so they look even worse, but you can see the issues that probably caused the rejection.

Annotation 2020-08-14 091126.jpg

Annotation 2020-08-14 091241.jpg

Annotation 2020-08-14 091334.jpg

On 8/6/2020 at 9:04 PM, Michael Muni said:

Can someone please explain to me why this photo I took would be rejected for "Posterization"? I just don't see it, resubmitted and again rejected for same reason.

Colorado Elk.jpg

Even magnified I can't see anything wrong.

On 8/14/2020 at 9:18 AM, Linda Bestwick said:

Zoom into your photo at 100%, you can see clearly it has issues throughout, it needs to be sharp and clear even at 100%. Look in particular at the trees where they meet the sky, looks almost like a oil painting effect has been applied. And the deer in the distance clearly have a white halo like line around them. 
Watch you are not creating these problems in post. Try to avoid it it the first place, but on ones that aren't to bad you could try downsizing to hide it. 
Reviewers will be checking your images at full size, 100%, so you should always check yours at this size or bigger too.

I took these screen grabs at 100%, they've upsized on the forum so they look even worse, but you can see the issues that probably caused the rejection.

Annotation 2020-08-14 091126.jpg

Annotation 2020-08-14 091241.jpg

Annotation 2020-08-14 091334.jpg

thats more than 100% Why pixel peep? a lot of cameras & lenses don't seem to be good enough for SS.

On 8/6/2020 at 2:04 PM, Michael Muni said:

Colorado Elk.jpg

Michael:

First of all, this is great photo.  Yes there is HDR, some things are embellished in post-processing, yes there are some issues in trees on pixel level, but it is still great photo. Any agency should be glad to have it in their library.

Reason it got rejected for "posterization" is because QA is done by AI, and this example illustrates best all that is wrong with "streamline the process and cut the margins" approach.   But my question to you is: Is it really worth the effort??  How much time did you spend on it already -- took a photo, post-processing, uploading, keywording -- and now frustration with machine rejections?  All this to get compensated 10 cents (maybe)?

QA is nonsense if left to AI.  I had superb pano, technically spotless on pixel level, rejected for "posterization" (AI algorithm doesn't seem to like stitching).  Then change file name and 1 or 2 keywords, re-submit, gets accepted.  (In the meantime same pano fetched extended license on AS).  This is like kids playing in the school yard.  It is not photography and it is not quality; it is ping-pong game with machine algorithms, or rather software developers that implement these algorithms.  It simply does not make sense.   I was very loyal to SS, even saw some rationale with payment restructuring, but nonsense QA is the lost drop & I am not contributing here anymore.

Best of luck.  Fantastic photo again, really like it.

15 minutes ago, Linda Bestwick said:

Because the reviewers pixel peep. 
Just trying to help, not sure why I bother any more.

I think they're wrong because pixel peeping is unhealthy can rain your eyesight & sanity. and simply makes no sense for what they pay. 

1 hour ago, Tony Dunn said:

I think they're wrong because pixel peeping is unhealthy can rain your eyesight & sanity. and simply makes no sense for what they pay. 

Well, there's an easy way out of that situation. Don't submit ;)

But yeah, pixel peeping is essential if you're selling images because when you print an image, every defect is going to show up, defects you won't notice when you look at your images at 25 percent.

Anyway, if you really want to avoid pixel peeping rejections, reduce resolution and submit. Sometimes does the trick.

12 hours ago, Tony Dunn said:

And that's why many people don't submit anymore and or closed their port. Because people are sick of jumping though hoops for peanuts.

And yeah you can't even buy a glass of lemonade with what you get not to mention a lemon its self.

As for me trying out a few other things for side income/supplemental. Might be a good idea I would think? 😉