Rupan Mallick

Anyone earning $500 per month?

Is there anyone who is earning approx $500 per month from Shutter-stock? Please comment below. I'm new here. and thinking to work full time. You can also share your average earning per day / month. I would love to visit your portfolio. 

hello Rupan that is a very interesting question...I would love to earn that amount even approximately each month but there are for me two barriers to this  1.  I don't have a very large port and mostly editorials and 2. I stopped adding to my port due to the constant rejections for silly reasons and the 10 cents payments from the original 25 cents...although occasionally I get maybe an OD etc the earnings are dire. So I have been deleting commercial images from my site that I think are worth more than a basic 10 cents and uploading to AS and DT who will also accept editorials and art based images into their data base...so there is my reason but wish you well in your hopes of achieving your goal...and the hoped for $500 a month...I am sure other contributors to the forum will add their personal thoughts too so you may get a more positive answer ...  :)

I made $500+ a month a few times since 2014.  Maybe 3-4 times in six years.  Everything pretty much changed a few years back for me when they lowered their standards to only having 1/10 photos/videos accepted instead of 7/10.  Now with the $0.10 photos sales and $0.34 footage sales minimums, you'll be lucky to make a few bucks here a month.  SS is not worth it for 99% of the contributors here now.  There are folks that will make a few hundred to a few thousand dollars a month here, but you have a better chance of winning the lottery.  As others have suggested, try other sites like AS, DT.  SS was the big one but won second place to the bottom after iS.

Rupan,

It's not my intention to be rude but I think you may have seen too many Shutterstock ads saying you can get rich by uploading the images on your hard drive.  500.00 a month is a reasonable goal for a highly qualified photographer with a very large portfolio (over 10,000) but I don't think it is something you should expect, even if you do it full time. 

It would also help if you are able to travel and or have a lot of attractive friends that are willing to model for free.  You could (and should) upload to multiple stock sites and over time you might generate 500.00 a month from all these stock sites (I use to) but I think with the new fee structure at SS and the competition in the photo market you will be very disappointed with your earnings.  Just my opinion.  

I have been here a little more than 2 years. My maximum earnings in a month have been around $ 250, just once. That was before the reduced earnings. No chance of that happening now.

$ 500 is a dream.

Selling pics and vids here is best for some extra cash every month. No way this can become a primary source of income.

Don't go for full time directly, instead do this as hobbies and learn something from it.  Since I'm also from India I don't know why people are here too hurry to make money from internet without hard work.  I know lot of people from my location all want to make good money but they don't want to post good content with quality. My suggestion for you ask this same question after you uploaded 1k pictures here. You will get the answer. 

Sorry bad English 😁

If you're new to SS and selling images, even a 100$ month is a pipe dream. You need to have a seriously good video port with high quality videos to ever stand a chance of making over 100$ consistently.

But if you're spending so much time shooting high quality videos for 100$ a month, might as well get a job in a production house because you'll make more for the same work. Stock photography is at best a side gig and should never become your primary source of income.

I've been here for 15 years - I've never made $500 a month JUST from SS. Granted I don't have a "hot" portfolio - I don't chase trends and pretty much submitted what I wanted to. I no longer submit to SS due to the profit reduction of June - not worth it.

And a note for you as a beginning submitter - you might want to be careful with the Harley Quinn concepts ... they might be considered intellectual property by DC.

22 hours ago, Matylda Laurence said:
22 hours ago, Matylda Laurence said:

hello Rupan that is a very interesting question...I would love to earn that amount even approximately each month but there are for me two barriers to this  1.  I don't have a very large port and mostly editorials and 2. I stopped adding to my port due to the constant rejections for silly reasons and the 10 cents payments from the original 25 cents...although occasionally I get maybe an OD etc the earnings are dire. So I have been deleting commercial images from my site that I think are worth more than a basic 10 cents and uploading to AS and DT who will also accept editorials and art based images into their data base...so there is my reason but wish you well in your hopes of achieving your goal...and the hoped for $500 a month...I am sure other contributors to the forum will add their personal thoughts too so you may get a more positive answer ...  :)

Thank you Matylda. I agree with you. for my case DT is good, SS has a good amount of customer base. only they can give maximum sales in short term, but in long term DT can perform well. I'm planning to continue to both sites. 

Well, I'm getting pretty much good weekly sales with a very small portfolio of 50 photos and 20 videos. Planning to increase my time to make good amount of money

15 hours ago, Steve Bower said:

Rupan,

It's not my intention to be rude but I think you may have seen too many Shutterstock ads saying you can get rich by uploading the images on your hard drive.  500.00 a month is a reasonable goal for a highly qualified photographer with a very large portfolio (over 10,000) but I don't think it is something you should expect, even if you do it full time. 

It would also help if you are able to travel and or have a lot of attractive friends that are willing to model for free.  You could (and should) upload to multiple stock sites and over time you might generate 500.00 a month from all these stock sites (I use to) but I think with the new fee structure at SS and the competition in the photo market you will be very disappointed with your earnings.  Just my opinion.  

Thank you Steve. I'm planning to work for other sites too. I think we should upload more on IS and DT. I'm little bit of confused with IS and getty

10 hours ago, RaviNepz said:

Don't go for full time directly, instead do this as hobbies and learn something from it.  Since I'm also from India I don't know why people are here too hurry to make money from internet without hard work.  I know lot of people from my location all want to make good money but they don't want to post good content with quality. My suggestion for you ask this same question after you uploaded 1k pictures here. You will get the answer. 

Sorry bad English 😁

Thank you brother, I'm from Bengal. I would love to know which part are you from! Well I'm a full time Filmmaker. I shoot some commercial videos and Films for clients too. I'm just planning to leave that part and focus on Stock videos and Film making. 

1 hour ago, Holly Kuchera said:

I've been here for 15 years - I've never made $500 a month JUST from SS. Granted I don't have a "hot" portfolio - I don't chase trends and pretty much submitted what I wanted to. I no longer submit to SS due to the profit reduction of June - not worth it.

And a note for you as a beginning submitter - you might want to be careful with the Harley Quinn concepts ... they might be considered intellectual property by DC.

Harley quinn concept was not for commercial use. That is for editorial purpose only. And I checked there are more photos like that. Should i remove this!

1 hour ago, Rupan Mallick said:

Thank you Steve. I'm planning to work for other sites too. I think we should upload more on IS and DT. I'm little bit of confused with IS and getty

All the best making 500$ on 2 cents a download on IS and 2 downloads a year on DT!

4 hours ago, Rupan Mallick said:

Harley quinn concept was not for commercial use. That is for editorial purpose only. And I checked there are more photos like that. Should i remove this!

Oops - didn't see that sorry. Hmmm.... gray area. You might be okay - I'm not in the know about how cosplay photos (for sale) are taken by the companies that own the characters. it all depends on how DC feels about it.

4 hours ago, Rupan Mallick said:

IS and getty are pretty much the same thing. I am on IS and my payments come from Getty. AS is the only other stock site I would recommend at this time. DT is okay, but not the greatest for sales. 

14 hours ago, Rupan Mallick said:

Thank you brother, I'm from Bengal. I would love to know which part are you from! Well I'm a full time Filmmaker. I shoot some commercial videos and Films for clients too. I'm just planning to leave that part and focus on Stock videos and Film making. 

Hello bro , This is Abhishek From Bengal , I am working on SS since 2017 and everything was awesome before May 2020 but suddenly everything changed in few days . Income reduced almost 60% which is not enough for me , I'm not a full time stock photographer but working here as a passion to earn some extra money but now a days with 10 cents of photo sales and 2-5 dollar video sales you can't be able to pay your room rent. So my advise will be to continue your full time job and work as a part time in stock photography.

14 hours ago, Rupan Mallick said:

Bro, nice to meet you, I'm from New Delhi.  I suggest you look for fixed salaried job. And keep this stock photography as an alternative for some extra bucks and yes as hobbies. 

13 minutes ago, PHOTO BAZAR INDIA said:

Hello bro , This is Abhishek From Bengal , I am working on SS since 2017 and everything was awesome before May 2020 but suddenly everything changed in few days . Income reduced almost 60% which is not enough for me , I'm not a full time stock photographer but working here as a passion to earn some extra money but now a days with 10 cents of photo sales and 2-5 dollar video sales you can't be able to pay your room rent. So my advise will be to continue your full time job and work as a part time in stock photography.

Abhishek, your port is amazing and you have high quality content.  

9 hours ago, PHOTO BAZAR INDIA said:

Thanks Bro. I do follow your YouTube channel. Keep posting :D 

On 8/5/2020 at 3:01 PM, Rupan Mallick said:

Is there anyone who is earning approx $500 per month from Shutter-stock? Please comment below. I'm new here. and thinking to work full time. You can also share your average earning per day / month. I would love to visit your portfolio. 

I am averaging more than $3000 per month so far this year with a portfolio of 8900 videos.  It is not difficult to create a steady income stream from stock if you want to work smart. Despite the recent changes at Shutterstock the future is bright.

13 hours ago, Doug Jensen said:

I am averaging more than $3000 per month so far this year with a portfolio of 8900 videos.  It is not difficult to create a steady income stream from stock if you want to work smart. Despite the recent changes at Shutterstock the future is bright.

Amazing port you've. Thank you for inspiring me. I thought SS is not for video. You changed my mind. 

I am actually new here and wanted to have an idea if it is at possible to make some handsome money here. Even though most people are not making much here, I'll still give it a try.

On 8/5/2020 at 10:01 PM, Rupan Mallick said:

If you shoot like me photos and videos. At the moment you only need 130,000 photos and 50,000 videos and I guarantee you that you will receive $ 500. 

5 hours ago, Tim photo-video said:

If you shoot like me photos and videos. At the moment you only need 130,000 photos and 50,000 videos and I guarantee you that you will receive $ 500. 

Thank you Tim, Your video port is amazing. Do you get often video sale in shutter stock?