Sign in to follow this  
Sam Nord

Am I liable for US tax if I don't live in the US?

Not sure if this topic has been discussed before on this forum. I've just noticed from the payment email that the amount to be paid out to me is a little less than the 'unpaid earnings.' Did they deduct tax? Am I liable for US tax even if I don't reside in the US?

45 minutes ago, Sam Nord said:

Not sure if this topic has been discussed before on this forum. I've just noticed from the payment email that the amount to be paid out to me is a little less than the 'unpaid earnings.' Did they deduct tax? Am I liable for US tax even if I don't reside in the US?

There is a tax center where you can fill out a form so that tax is not deducted although I believe there is some dependence on the country you live in and what agreements are in place between them and the USA.

On 8/5/2020 at 10:50 AM, Emily Veinglory said:

Fill in the tax form, if your country has a tax treaty with the US it will stop being withheld

But then you will have to pay tax in the country you are in. You might want to look and see if your country or the US has a lower tax rate.

18 minutes ago, Doug McLean said:

But then you will have to pay tax in the country you are in. You might want to look and see if your country or the US has a lower tax rate.

You want to be careful with this - just because income has already been taxed in another country does not mean it will not also be taxed in the country you live in.  Even after you have paid tax on it in the US it still counts as income in the country you live in and may therefore still be liable for tax there as well.  You end up paying 2 lots of tax - one of which (US) you do not have to pay.

5 hours ago, Starsphinx said:

You want to be careful with this - just because income has already been taxed in another country does not mean it will not also be taxed in the country you live in.  Even after you have paid tax on it in the US it still counts as income in the country you live in and may therefore still be liable for tax there as well.  You end up paying 2 lots of tax - one of which (US) you do not have to pay.

That may be true in some countries, but not here. I pay tax here because it is at a lower rate than the US, but it does depend on what sort of tax treaty your country has with the US.