AS replaces good keywords with spam

I don't know how can this happen but sometimes AS doesn't read the keywords on file but it replaces them with totally useless keywords (probably suggestions).
I just uploaded some images and I only noticed this after I pushed the submit button and now I am stuck with this garbage until after review.
It is not the first time it happens but it is very time consuming to check whether AS retrieves the right keywords each time.

Anyone else noticed this?

1 hour ago, Whiteaster said:

I don't know how can this happen but sometimes AS doesn't read the keywords on file but it replaces them with totally useless keywords (probably suggestions).
I just uploaded some images and I only noticed this after I pushed the submit button and now I am stuck with this garbage until after review.
It is not the first time it happens but it is very time consuming to check whether AS retrieves the right keywords each time.

Anyone else noticed this?

You must pay attention to the language setting. If you keyword english, the language setting must also be set to "english" - otherwise you'll really only get garbage.

1 hour ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

You must pay attention to the language setting. If you keyword english, the language setting must also be set to "english" - otherwise you'll really only get garbage.

I know that, I am with them since FT times. For some reason the AI didn't read my keywords on this one image and the auto-keyword tool stepped in.

That has happened to me several times in the past.  I haven't seen that for a long time now.  It may be easier to delete and resubmit.  I am now using the post approval editing "feature" for keywords to re-order keywords in thousands of past images.  It is excruciating work.

25 minutes ago, Reimar said:

That has happened to me several times in the past.  I haven't seen that for a long time now.  It may be easier to delete and resubmit.  I am now using the post approval editing "feature" for keywords to re-order keywords in thousands of past images.  It is excruciating work.

So, I am not stupid after all. It happened before but I forgot that I have to double-check and honestly, the sales in the last time are not worth to spend so much time with it.

FT was working like a Swiss watch, without any bugs ever. You could see everything on your desktop, in one place, without so many useless clicks. After being used to that, AS is a big disappointment, both in sales and functionality, very slow and featureless.

33 minutes ago, Reimar said:

Wow! Congrats that you have the stamina to do that. I only have about 2500-is photos on Shutterstock and my early uploads (about a 1/3) really lack in proper key-wording, but I just can't bring myself to go through and edit those and the description section. Though it might be useful from sales point of view, but considering the 10 to 12 cents?? No way : ). 

14 minutes ago, Whiteaster said:

So, I am not stupid after all. It happened before but I forgot that I have to double-check and honestly, the sales in the last time are not worth to spend so much time with it.

FT was working like a Swiss watch, without any bugs ever. You could see everything on your desktop, in one place, without so many useless clicks. After being used to that, AS is a big disappointment, both in sales and functionality, very slow and featureless.

I am wondering! If any of you had some thoughts on this? The keywords provided by default by AS are O.K. about 60-70% of the time. Sometimes they really give the craziest suggestions though. My dilemma is this: the way I understand at AS the order of the first 10 keywords are really important, and perhaps the second 10 also important, but not as much. Now! Do the AI suggested keywords follow this principle? i.e.: they put the most frequently words sought by users first, then the second most popular, etc? I usually never agree with their sequencing and re shuffle them considerably. How about you?

5 minutes ago, Blue Corner Studio said:

I am wondering! If any of you had some thoughts on this? The keywords provided by default by AS are O.K. about 60-70% of the time. Sometimes they really give the craziest suggestions though. My dilemma is this: the way I understand at AS the order of the first 10 keywords are really important, and perhaps the second 10 also important, but not as much. Now! Do the AI suggested keywords follow this principle? i.e.: they put the most frequently words sought by users first, then the second most popular, etc? I usually never agree with their sequencing and re shuffle them considerably. How about you?

I always write my keyword on file before uploading, prioritizing the first 8-10 for AS and some other agencies. I only saw the default keywording by mistake, so I couldn't say what % is accurate. In my case here, the keywords were totally off, though still in the same category (excuse for the AI). I had some "cordon bleu" which has no other name in any other language and I got keywords like fish, steak.....so still food but irrelevant to the image. None of my main keywords (first 10) were guessed by the AI.

It is much more time consuming to check the auto-keywords than to write them from scratch.

2 hours ago, Whiteaster said:

I always write my keyword on file before uploading, prioritizing the first 8-10 for AS and some other agencies. I only saw the default keywording by mistake, so I couldn't say what % is accurate. In my case here, the keywords were totally off, though still in the same category (excuse for the AI). I had some "cordon bleu" which has no other name in any other language and I got keywords like fish, steak.....so still food but irrelevant to the image. None of my main keywords (first 10) were guessed by the AI.

It is much more time consuming to check the auto-keywords than to write them from scratch.

Sometimes the system makes an error and adds the keyword suggestions. I haven't had that problem so I can't say more, but other people have. It's not just you, and sometimes the software for your uploads, misses the IPTC data, so you get the suggestions from AI. In other words, it's not you, and the problem seems to be intermittent.

42 minutes ago, HodagMedia said:

Sometimes the system makes an error and adds the keyword suggestions. I haven't had that problem so I can't say more, but other people have. It's not just you, and sometimes the software for your uploads, misses the IPTC data, so you get the suggestions from AI. In other words, it's not you, and the problem seems to be intermittent.

True. For me it only happens with AS. Before this upload, I uploaded these same images to 5 other agencies without any problems.

5 hours ago, Whiteaster said:

that is so true! and I always fall into that trap, that I compile my let's say SS keywords (I am slowly transferring my images over to AS) over top of the default ones that AS gives me. and it takes a long time to remove the duplicates and rearrange them in some more relevant sequence. I should just scrap all the defaults and paste the SS ones. but after that unfortunately comes the rearranging in proper order, because SS arranges them in alphabetical order. I hate the whole process : ). end it is a really excruciating process for me. but iS is even worse!

I have noticed this when I try to batch-submit images at AS. If I give several pictures the same keywords and hit submit, the AI suggested keywords will override. You have to click on each image and copy and paste YOUR keywords in order to get rid of the automatically generated ones. Which sometimes can be ok, but sometimes are utter garbage.

12 hours ago, Blue Corner Studio said:

that is so true! and I always fall into that trap, that I compile my let's say SS keywords (I am slowly transferring my images over to AS) over top of the default ones that AS gives me. and it takes a long time to remove the duplicates and rearrange them in some more relevant sequence. I should just scrap all the defaults and paste the SS ones. but after that unfortunately comes the rearranging in proper order, because SS arranges them in alphabetical order. I hate the whole process : ). end it is a really excruciating process for me. but iS is even worse!

That seems to be a tedious process.

I upload small batches, always adding all metadata beforehand. It is boring and needs some discipline but I got used to it.

I just got two good(ish) custom downloads, so today I am more patient.

Instead of uploading first to SS, you could use SS's keywording tool to find the right keywords, then copy them to text editor like Editpad lite and rearrange them. This is a small program (free) similar to notepad but it lets you drag and drop selected text (rearrange).

After that you just have to copy the keywords into your image and you are ready to upload to all agencies, one after the other.
Another advantage of this is that you don't lose your keywords when an image is rejected.

11 hours ago, Milo J said:

I have noticed this when I try to batch-submit images at AS. If I give several pictures the same keywords and hit submit, the AI suggested keywords will override. You have to click on each image and copy and paste YOUR keywords in order to get rid of the automatically generated ones. Which sometimes can be ok, but sometimes are utter garbage.

The strange thing is that it only happened with one image from the batch.

I click on every image one after the other  to check the keywords and click on the yes/no property button. Once I am done with an image and go the the next one, the little red dot should change to green for the previous image. Sometimes it changes, other times not but when I click on the red "Save work" button, just then they all change to green and are good to submit. At least that is what I learned over time, I couldn't find any explanation in support regarding the small red dot's behavior.

I've noticed that, find myself constantly going in and replacing their spammy keywords with good keywords, or just deleting their keywords altogether and simply copy/pasting SS keywords into AS' keyword field. 

The downside of this is SS groups keywords in alphabetical order, while, as some of you mentioned, AS groups keywords in order of relevance.  Thus, I have to click and drag the most relevant keywords that I copy/pasted from SS that ended up farther down in AS keyword fields up to AS' top 10 keyword fields.  It's a major PITA.

12 hours ago, Whiteaster said:

That seems to be a tedious process.

I upload small batches, always adding all metadata beforehand. It is boring and needs some discipline but I got used to it.

I just got two good(ish) custom downloads, so today I am more patient.

After that you just have to copy the keywords into your image and you are ready to upload to all agencies, one after the other.
Another advantage of this is that you don't lose your keywords when an image is rejected.

Thanks for the tip! And congrats to the 2 downloads! I didn't know about editpad! Nice suggestion! I don't upload to SS any more (or once in a blue moon). What I am doing is that if some of my old photos sell (the first time) at SS, I figure it may (or may not) have a chance at AS too. so I upload that file to AS. Say 2-3 a day. Grab the keywords from SS and it's "only" rearranging the order. I do keep maybe 2-3 default words provided by AS (I am hoping they suggest based on some "smart" statistics!?). And plug in the rest. I don't use Lightroom, so I don't plug keywords into the photo. As much as that would be the logical route. But since I don't upload any more to iS or Alamy either, this manual plug in is the necessary evil for me I have to face. Tx again!

I much like your food photos. They are really professional! If I did food, I would definitely try to mimic some : ).  

4 hours ago, Mike Kuhlman said:

Thus, I have to click and drag the most relevant keywords that I copy/pasted from SS that ended up farther down in AS keyword fields up to AS' top 10 keyword fields.  It's a major PITA.

Mike - it is a drag - but easier imo if you slide this button and get the keywords collected insted of using the 'arrows'. 

Skærmbillede 2020-08-06 kl. 22.48.49.png

13 hours ago, Blue Corner Studio said:

Thanks for the tip! And congrats to the 2 downloads! I didn't know about editpad! Nice suggestion! I don't upload to SS any more (or once in a blue moon). What I am doing is that if some of my old photos sell (the first time) at SS, I figure it may (or may not) have a chance at AS too. so I upload that file to AS. Say 2-3 a day. Grab the keywords from SS and it's "only" rearranging the order. I do keep maybe 2-3 default words provided by AS (I am hoping they suggest based on some "smart" statistics!?). And plug in the rest. I don't use Lightroom, so I don't plug keywords into the photo. As much as that would be the logical route. But since I don't upload any more to iS or Alamy either, this manual plug in is the necessary evil for me I have to face. Tx again!

I much like your food photos. They are really professional! If I did food, I would definitely try to mimic some : ).  

Yes, of course each of us has his/her own workflow and goals.

What I wanted yet to say is that in my experience, buyers on each agency have different needs and tastes, meaning that what sells at one agency may not sell on the other.
I have an image with over 400 dls on AS and it was never sold on SS, not once. This is the reason that I still upload to some low earners, not for the money but it is pleasing to see that my other images are needed too, the ones that have been buried by SS.

Thanks for the kind words about my food.

6 hours ago, Whiteaster said:

Yes, of course each of us has his/her own workflow and goals.

What I wanted yet to say is that in my experience, buyers on each agency have different needs and tastes, meaning that what sells at one agency may not sell on the other.
I have an image with over 400 dls on AS and it was never sold on SS, not once. This is the reason that I still upload to some low earners, not for the money but it is pleasing to see that my other images are needed too, the ones that have been buried by SS.

Thanks for the kind words about my food.

yes, yes. of course. I have similar experience (what sells well at one site (50+), doesn't sell at all on the other!). go figure. what's even stranger, i have two versions of one subject. both uploaded at SS and iS. one sells really well at SS and doesn't sell at iS. the other version sells well at iS, but only a couple of times at SS : ). really beats me. stock sites and customers are strange!  

1 hour ago, Blue Corner Studio said:

i have two versions of one subject. both uploaded at SS and iS. one sells really well at SS and doesn't sell at iS. the other version sells well at iS, but only a couple of times at SS : ). really beats me. stock sites and customers are strange!  

Ha ha, that is really strange.