Sign in to follow this  
oleschwander

Movie made entirely from free stock footage

During a film research I stumbled across this ‘pearl’. An entire movie ‘Koyaanistocksy’ (!) made of free stock clips from Shutterstock and iStock including watermarks. This is the trailer.

If interested, you can read more about the film (a ‘satirical’ remake of an older movie) here:

https://www.archpaper.com/2016/04/anti-capitalist-film-koyaanisqatsi-remade-using-only-stock-images/

Incidentally, the director of the old movie Koyannisquatsi, Godfrey Reggio, also made a film called Anima Mundi which is composed entirely of stock footage. 

7 minutes ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Incidentally, the director of the old movie Koyannisquatsi, Godfrey Reggio, also made a film called Anima Mundi which is composed entirely of stock footage. 

Seems to be an inexpensive way to produce a film - especially today ...! 😂

Man, you got me with that headline! That would be truly the end of stock, if enough stuff was out there for free to make an entire movie from.

As it is, with the watermarks on, I couldn't think of a better advertising for stock footage.

Does anyone here upload clips to iStock? Is it worth the agony?

22 minutes ago, Milo J said:

Man, you got me with that headline! That would be truly the end of stock, if enough stuff was out there for free to make an entire movie from.

I cut an AV for a big corporate client earlier this year with footage taken entirely from Pexels and Videezy (client's choice, not mine).

It was nine minutes long and I was amazed at how we could find everything they wanted on there.

6 hours ago, Milo J said:

Does anyone here upload clips to iStock? Is it worth the agony?

I keep hearing that iStock only offers a few dollars for HD and 4k video sales. Literally peanuts. Though one person stated that they made some decent money from video sales there.