Marko Subotin

Shutterstock for life!

This maybe is not for this page, but following the recent changes in a world that are affecting all of us, including Shutterstock I've had a change of hearth.
I was angry at first. How dare Shutterstock take my earnings??? Even if I had 60 dollars per month. So they took my 30 dollars, but I've just realized that it was Shutterstock who made a lot of people in third world countries rich. Not rich as some people, but a lot of people that I know made they way into all of this with their wits, sweat are A LOT of hard work. So, it is out commitment to stay with Shutterstock during these hard times. I know that lot of you will look at this with disgust, but believe me, its all from witch prism that you are looking at this. Look at this as a man from a third world country, and you will have the motivation and gratitude on a much more scale for the Shutterstock crew! So lets stay in this together and keep this world alive! Peace out. Marko.

7 hours ago, Marko Subotin said:

This maybe is not for this page, but following the recent changes in a world that are affecting all of us, including Shutterstock I've had a change of hearth.
I was angry at first. How dare Shutterstock take my earnings??? Even if I had 60 dollars per month. So they took my 30 dollars, but I've just realized that it was Shutterstock who made a lot of people in third world countries rich. Not rich as some people, but a lot of people that I know made they way into all of this with their wits, sweat are A LOT of hard work. So, it is out commitment to stay with Shutterstock during these hard times. I know that lot of you will look at this with disgust, but believe me, its all from witch prism that you are looking at this. Look at this as a man from a third world country, and you will have the motivation and gratitude on a much more scale for the Shutterstock crew! So lets stay in this together and keep this world alive! Peace out. Marko.

Marko,

yes, shutterstock is a company that has built up a good structure so that contributors can earn money worldwide - no question about that.

However, Shutterstock did not invest the time and money back then for us to make money, but rather to make money for shutterstock.

For shutterstock to earn money with this business model, the company needs a product. We supply this product. The business model cannot exist without us. It is therefore a symbiosis - a quid pro quo.

Now, the shutterstock company has had problems recently. Too little payout to shareholders, images agencies, where contributors - for whatever reason - make their images available free of charge, too high personnel costs for permanently growing image and footage volumes and storage space requirements and much more. Then came Corona.

I think most of us would have accepted it if we had been told: "We have to temporarily improve our financial situation until the crisis is over".

But a new, permanent revenue model has been introduced in a highly anti-social way. And this will also cause massive problems for contributors from "third world" countries. Because many of them have no other source of income.

I therefore believe that your attempt at motivation will be shattered by the pitfalls of reality.

There is nothing nice to talk about here. Here, shareholders and owners of shutterstock get more money, while the contributors in the "third world" are faced with a fait accompli and can do nothing about it. Robin Hood the other way around. There's not one single reason to "keep this world alive"!!

Since both parties - shutterstock and us contributors - keep this model alive, why doesn't shutterstock go the same way they have forced us to?

All employees, board members and owners receive lower salaries - in the same percentage as our income has decreased. At the beginning of the year, they will only receive the salary they received at the time they started at shutterstock. If the figures develop positively, the salary will gradually rise back to the original level. This "adjustment" would therefore be introduced "to reflect the changes in the market for creative content."

These would be "fair opportunities for all" that keep shutterstock alive as a company in the market.

42 minutes ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

These would be "fair opportunities for all" that keep shutterstock alive as a company in the market.

Everything's "fair" in capitalism and war, especially from the point of view of the capitalist.

from a third world country it makes really scene.

every cent count as job opportunity and salary is so low.

Then comes private job in third world country, most of them  are rediculas.

Only government jobs are said to be great. But there is so much corruption.

Getting a decent amount of money in third word country is not easy and first world guys won't realise it.

There are many worlds in the third world! Some who contribute from the third world here work for giant IT companies, I used to be a professor, I quit to travel more, take rest, I have visited 32 countries till date! My husband works for a global Investment bank, there are many worlds in third world ...

And I am very sure there are many worlds in the first world too ...

So this is a request, don't treat the third world as a monolithic entity!

1 hour ago, Tawrat Ferdousi Branding said:

from a third world country it makes really scene.

every cent count as job opportunity and salary is so low.

Then comes private job in third world country, most of them  are rediculas.

Only government jobs are said to be great. But there is so much corruption.

Getting a decent amount of money in third word country is not easy and first world guys won't realise it.

precisely!

42 minutes ago, mridulablog said:

There are many worlds in the third world! Some who contribute from the third world here work for giant IT companies, I used to be a professor, I quit to travel more, take rest, I have visited 32 countries till date! My husband works for a global Investment bank, there are many worlds in third world ...

And I am very sure there are many worlds in the first world too ...

So this is a request, don't treat the third world as a monolithic entity!

That's why I wrote "third world" in quotation marks.

I have found a table that shows the average income in different countries. How reliable the table is, I don't know. But as far as Germany is concerned, the figure given is realistic as far as I know.

So if a contributor from India used to earn $175 a month through shutterstock, but now only gets $120 (at the beginning of next year maybe only $80), then "shutterstock for life" is no longer applicable.

In the end it doesn't matter in which country you live. We all get less. And the hardest hit are those who make their living from it - no matter where in the world they live.

44 minutes ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

That's why I wrote "third world" in quotation marks.

I have found a table that shows the average income in different countries. How reliable the table is, I don't know. But as far as Germany is concerned, the figure given is realistic as far as I know.

So if a contributor from India used to earn $175 a month through shutterstock, but now only gets $120 (at the beginning of next year maybe only $80), then "shutterstock for life" is no longer applicable.

In the end it doesn't matter in which country you live. We all get less. And the hardest hit are those who make their living from it - no matter where in the world they live.

Dude, believe me that the big players will get their levels up in a matter of months and will end up earning at a full potential really quickly.

33 minutes ago, Marko Subotin said:

Dude, believe me that the big players will get their levels up in a matter of months and will end up earning at a full potential really quickly.

The largest provider at shutterstock has not uploaded a single picture here since the introduction of the new pricing structure.

This provider is - like many other big ones - not an individual, but a company. Many photographers have to make a living from the images in the portfolio, models have to be paid, studio rentals and equipment have to be paid. Obviously they do not see the potential you see, otherwise they would act as you proclaim. But even they have economic constraints and can calculate.

Just like other big players I know. Vendors with seven-figure microstock sales who have shut down their portfolios here. Who have decided that their work is worth more to them than the average 40 cents per download they get here despite the high level of providers.

So, no, I do not believe you.

Ok, dont believe me. 800 dollars for the first 3 days during july for my friend, and other have actually increase their income during this period, then go and delete your portfolio with them.

1 hour ago, Marko Subotin said:

Ok, dont believe me. 800 dollars for the first 3 days during july for my friend, and other have actually increase their income during this period, then go and delete your portfolio with them.

If I understood you correctly above, you now only have 30 instead of 60 dollars - right?

I had 19% more income in June 2020 than in June 2019 and 32% more income than in June 2018.

But: According to the old compensation model, the difference would have been much higher. My loss compared to the old compensation model was 6%. The loss was only so small because I had some very good SODs and enhanced. Without them it would have been much worse. 

In July 2020 I had 7% more downloads than in July 2019, but still I made a loss of 29% compared to the old revenue model. This is definitely no reason to celebrate.

If your friend made $800 in three days, that is an impressive income. Nevertheless only one question is relevant: How much would he have made in those three days under the old revenue model? $900? $1,000? $1,200? He can always calculate his loss himself.
And that's what this is all about - nothing else. Income under the new system compared to income under the old system.

I had over 900 subs in June + July for an average of $0.22 at level 5.
I used to get $0.38.