Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Rudy Umans

Urgent!! My account was Hacked. Thanks Shutterstock!

Recommended Posts

Like slicing the royalties by a lot wasn't enough yet,  my shutterstock account was hacked this morning and my PayPal email was changed. I changed it back and changed my password.

In the process they also got access to my email with the result I got over 500 junk emails mainly with subscription based crap, which should keep me busy unsubscribing for a while.  So, I changed that password as well.  

I also changed my PayPal password to be on the safe side

Better check yours

Thanks again Shutterstock &^%$*@

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One step you can do to prevent the hackers "hiding" the SS account change notification in your mail:

Set up a filter for your incoming mail so your Shutterstock (or other stock site's) emails go in their own separate folders, and it's easy and quick to see if there is new mail in that/those important folders.

When they spam you with 500 trash mails, their attempt is to make it hard for you to find that ONE important email in the sea of trash email in your general incoming folder.

So, get around it with the separate folder(s), you should be able to do that with most email accounts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rudy, same thing happened to me almost a year back. I caught it in time and immediately notified SS. Have changed my pwd since then but it almost took a year to clean out my email, I still end up getting some junk emails... Glad you caught it as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Ami Parikh said:

Rudy, same thing happened to me almost a year back. I caught it in time and immediately notified SS. Have changed my pwd since then but it almost took a year to clean out my email, I still end up getting some junk emails... Glad you caught it as well.

Yep. Most of them are subscriptions I will have to unsubscribe to

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sari ONeal said:

One step you can do to prevent the hackers "hiding" the SS account change notification in your mail:

Set up a filter for your incoming mail so your Shutterstock (or other stock site's) emails go in their own separate folders, and it's easy and quick to see if there is new mail in that/those important folders.

When they spam you with 500 trash mails, their attempt is to make it hard for you to find that ONE important email in the sea of trash email in your general incoming folder.

So, get around it with the separate folder(s), you should be able to do that with most email accounts.

I had to delete all those emails pretty much one by one since there were also legit emails mixed in and a notification from SS was one of them

I have all kinds of accounts that potentially can be hacked. My computers and my network are protected as good as I can, but I have obviously no control over somebody else's server. 

I have yahoo email and it sucks , but gmail is even worse. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rudy the advice was not directed at you, unless you see where that could be beneficial.

 

The point is - they flood your email so you can't see the email from SS in that sea of emails. IF you setup a separate folder for your SS emails and direct them there automatically, they're always in a place that's NOT flooded with spam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, chris kolaczan said:

Hacked accounts seem to be an end of the month tradition around here.

 

If only Shutterstock could implement something like two-factor authentication or something to reduce the occurrence of this sort of thing.

Its almost like they don't care.

The irony is that Jon started in the tech business with a successful computer security software program.  I guess he is pre-occupied now by other things

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Rudy Umans said:

Like slicing the royalties by a lot wasn't enough yet,  my shutterstock account was hacked this morning and my PayPal email was changed. I changed it back and changed my password.

In the process they also got access to my email with the result I got over 500 junk emails mainly with subscription based crap, which should keep me busy unsubscribing for a while.  So, I changed that password as well.  

I also changed my PayPal password to be on the safe side

Better check yours

Thanks again Shutterstock &^%$*@

Probably not Shutterstock's fault at all. Usually when an account gets hacked it is because the user did something really stupid, like using the same password on more than one web site, or using too simple a password.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Doug McLean said:

Probably not Shutterstock's fault at all. Usually when an account gets hacked it is because the user did something really stupid, like using the same password on more than one web site, or using too simple a password.

Totally agree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Doug McLean said:

Probably not Shutterstock's fault at all. Usually when an account gets hacked it is because the user did something really stupid, like using the same password on more than one web site, or using too simple a password.

BS

Easy to blame the user and the "user" would be me in this case and I don't think so. I have been around.  This is the first time in 25 years or so that one of my accounts was hacked and there is a reason for that. This is not user  error I am afraid.  Even if the "user" did something really stupid as you put it,  SS's website security is still not the user's responsibility. (We pay SS handsomely for that responsibility) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Doug McLean said:

Probably not Shutterstock's fault at all. Usually when an account gets hacked it is because the user did something really stupid, like using the same password on more than one web site, or using too simple a password.

 

14 hours ago, Rudy Umans said:

BS

Easy to blame the user and the "user" would be me in this case and I don't think so. I have been around.  This is the first time in 25 years or so that one of my accounts was hacked and there is a reason for that. This is not user  error I am afraid.  Even if the "user" did something really stupid as you put it,  SS's website security is still not the user's responsibility. (We pay SS handsomely for that responsibility) 

Agree with Rudy. A year ago I discovered something (a link to a website) in the legal section - list of restrictions regarding Property- of SS and reported this. It was handled correctly but it did make me think how the link got there in the first place and why I spotted it instead of those involved with the websites security 😉

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A simple two-factor authentication on something as important as changing the payment address would be sufficient. Text or email a code, how hard is that? Anyone uploading here has access to at least a cell phone.

@Rudy Umans - glad you got it sorted out so fast! Some folks have lost their earnings. I have made it a habit to obsessively check my account details at the end of each month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2020 at 4:13 PM, Rudy Umans said:

BS

Easy to blame the user and the "user" would be me in this case and I don't think so. I have been around.  This is the first time in 25 years or so that one of my accounts was hacked and there is a reason for that. This is not user  error I am afraid.  Even if the "user" did something really stupid as you put it,  SS's website security is still not the user's responsibility. (We pay SS handsomely for that responsibility) 

How do you know for sure it was Shutterstock? Just wondering?

On 7/31/2020 at 11:28 AM, chris kolaczan said:

Hacked accounts seem to be an end of the month tradition around here.

 

If only Shutterstock could implement something like two-factor authentication or something to reduce the occurrence of this sort of thing.

 

 

Yes, I'd agree that two factor would be a big solution, now wait for the people to ponce on that, that they don't have a cell phone. 😉 Or it's too expensive to have one.

End of the month, like they think, they will get paid in a day. I guess, the plan is, maybe find someone who's not as attentive or smart as Rudy and hope the payment comes through. I suppose there are accounts that are pretty dormant and those people don't check every month. That and the spam attack, maybe the hackers make some money some days?

I just went through, in January, and changed any password, that has to do with finances, into something that's one use, one site, no duplicates. I mean long strings of numbers and words, which without my note book, I'd never remember. 😁 Nothing beats a steno notebook and then by hand writing down my passwords.

On 7/31/2020 at 11:59 AM, Sari ONeal said:

Rudy the advice was not directed at you, unless you see where that could be beneficial.

 

The point is - they flood your email so you can't see the email from SS in that sea of emails. IF you setup a separate folder for your SS emails and direct them there automatically, they're always in a place that's NOT flooded with spam.

Interesting, I hadn't thought of that. I do have a separate email for Photo and family, one for my business and another for personal, but the idea of anything from Shutterstock would be useful. How do I do that when they send from assorted addresses. Anything from shutterstock.com? Boy I'd hate to have my personal email spammed, that's why I have many different emails for different purposes.

I need to look into that option. Thanks

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It happened to me maybe one year ago. They spammed me with thousand emails and I wasn't fast enough to understand what was going on. Luckily SS refunded me for the lost payment. They admitted in some ways that the security of our account is their business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2020 at 8:16 AM, HodagMedia said:

How do you know for sure it was Shutterstock? Just wondering?

I got a warning email from SS for "unusual activity"

22 hours ago, Luisa Puccini said:

It happened to me maybe one year ago. They spammed me with thousand emails and I wasn't fast enough to understand what was going on. Luckily SS refunded me for the lost payment. They admitted in some ways that the security of our account is their business.

That's their tactics. They try to hide SS's warning email by spamming your inbox with as many spam emails as they can get in hoping that you miss that one important email.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...