Sign in to follow this  
Studio 2

AI to review confirmed by SP

19 minutes ago, Studio 2 said:

No. I don't believe it. Jeff said it here on the forum that all reviews are done by humans : )! Gullible people. Some insisted here for months that no AI reviews! Any (automatic) rejection is always the fault of the contributor! No ifs and no buts! : ). 

2 hours ago, Blue Corner Studio said:

No. I don't believe it. Jeff said it here on the forum that all reviews are done by humans : )! Gullible people. Some insisted here for months that no AI reviews! Any (automatic) rejection is always the fault of the contributor! No ifs and no buts! : ). 

What Jeff said was a long time ago, with the new SEO it is different, apparently. New uploads go through instantly, both commercial and editorial ones. No human can do that.

There is no human side to any of this, is there ?  How many reviewers lost their jobs ? It’s pretty cold up there.. And in the meantime contributors are fighting ‘bots’ to get their images approved. Questioning ‘what’s wrong with my image’. 😲

I wish SS would change it’s P.R. strategy to ‘this is how we support our creatives’ - meaning ‘our contributors from all around the world’ - to make a living. Just like the ‘fair trade’ products.😁 Expand ones horizon to a different kind of ‘social awareness’ market - ‘help those in financial need because of the pandemic’.  Bring in more customers that will support that cause. Obviously raise customer prices. Just a crazy idea, and a bit too late, I’m afraid. Or as a Dutch saying : “achteraf een koe in de kont kijken”. 😂

49 minutes ago, Whiteaster said:

What Jeff said was a long time ago, with the new SEO it is different, apparently. New uploads go through instantly, both commercial and editorial ones. No human can do that.

People still kept quoting Jeff on this up until now (or recently). And that statement when Jeff said it it was a already a "stretch" of the truth in my view. The rejections within seconds of the submit made that obvious to anyone who thinks just a tiny bit. I am glad that this is cleared up once and for all. But this new development I think only pours fuel on the fire. If some were hesitant to upload new stuff (due to the 10 cents), now knowing that we are battling robots, I hope it will deter many contributors who are still on the hedge. 

Well, I still don't know how an AI distinguishes graffiti on a wall from an actual mural or artwork in a temple or a palace. Because I have seen 100 percent "Non-licensable" rejections of the former and never a rejection on the latter. It's impossible for AI (however learned) to make that choice.

22 minutes ago, balajisrinivasan said:

Well, I still don't know how an AI distinguishes graffiti on a wall from an actual mural or artwork in a temple or a palace. Because I have seen 100 percent "Non-licensable" rejections of the former and never a rejection on the latter. It's impossible for AI (however learned) to make that choice.

I've gotten the graffiti rejection on an editorial for something that looks like graffiti but is actually a company's logo. So that was either AI or a very careless reviewer. Here's a crop of the image. It was a kayak on a beach, rejected for "non-licensable content". So, yes I can believe that reviews are being made by AI. This would also explain the noise rejection for certain textures.

505073696_ScreenShot2020-07-29at11_13_43AM.thumb.png.3d4c17bce6b731329647db7f800eff62.png

28 minutes ago, balajisrinivasan said:

Keywords 

9 minutes ago, Milo J said:

I've gotten the graffiti rejection on an editorial for something that looks like graffiti but is actually a company's logo. So that was either AI or a very careless reviewer. Here's a crop of the image. It was a kayak on a beach, rejected for "non-licensable content". So, yes I can believe that reviews are being made by AI. This would also explain the noise rejection for certain textures.

That actually explains a lot of things and steers me successfully into the 'AI Review" camp.

4 hours ago, Evelyn de Waard said:

There is no human side to any of this, is there ?  How many reviewers lost their jobs ? It’s pretty cold up there..

Yes. I thought that 'using AI and automation rather than onshore and offshore manual review resources' is a great euphemism for making employed reviewers based both in the US and abroad redundant and using machines instead....

That means you put pictures on Shutterstock again? I have now put a lot of old photos and also new ones on AL and Alamy with earnings 0.33 and 0.00. That makes me a bit despondent.

I didn't quite believe Jeff when he replied that everything was controlled by people. (what would he do now?)
Are there any reviewers who have written about their work?

Started uploading to AS as well an will do the same with Alamy 😉 

Made my second sale on AS yesterday for Eur 0,99, which is really nice.

At the same time, my number of sales increased this month on SS. 

I will continu to see how this goes for a while, and might decide later to withdraw all of them off the internet. 

The A.I. review is brutal when it comes to texture as @Milo J mentioned. Especially when I use my macro lens. Visible canvas texture, sparkles in paint because of the light reflections of the metallic pigments. Or breadcrums. All recognised as grain or noise. 

They mentioned A.I. will be helpful eliminating similars ? It can recognize similars, but it has a flaw when both images have different lightning. Uploaded an image two days ago, and decided to lighten it up and uploaded the new one. In the mean time the first one got accepted before I could delete it. So now they are both in..

713CB14F-31B9-41BA-B094-9A1849009BBF.jpeg

A3241D4A-B275-49E7-8A5A-D826C4E2162B.jpeg

1 hour ago, Evelyn de Waard said:

At the same time, my number of sales increased this month on SS. 

Congratulations. Mine have gone the other way. Slightly more than half the number of downloads of last month and no ODs at all so for me uploading is not worthwhile (especially with the AI obstacle). Good luck with the other sites. 

38 minutes ago, Studio 2 said:

Congratulations. Mine have gone the other way. Slightly more than half the number of downloads of last month and no ODs at all so for me uploading is not worthwhile (especially with the AI obstacle). Good luck with the other sites. 

For me, there are also far fewer. But I mainly sell in Belgium and the Netherlands and many people have holidays there. That could be a reason. Maybe next month I'll post some pictures on SS again. I am still in doubt.

27 minutes ago, Studio 2 said:

Everything is relative 😉 My number of sales dropped to 11 from March to May and went back up in June. July - 30 downloads. 

I did upload new images as sort of a test to see if increasing the number of images in my portfolio would have any impact on my sales (read this in another thread). And for some reason, I recently sold a few images that did not sell before and are right in the back of my portfolio. As well as some new ones. And after uploading 25 images to Fine art Am., one of them immediately sold on SS 🤔 The 2 images I sold on AS were sold on SS without a location. And I sold my first image on AS on 1st June.. 

It all just feels a bit ‘fishy’ to me... Could the contributors that kept uploading have been favoured by the algorithm ? Hence, my sales went up too ? Or is this again a coincidence ? Haven’t had any OD’s this month either, but those were rare before. 😉

AS uses AI as well. However, some images accepted at SS were not accepted on AS and visa versa. 🤔

8 hours ago, Studio 2 said:

...so for me uploading is not worthwhile (especially with the AI obstacle). Good luck with the other sites. 

My guess is that for most contributors here it's not worth it to upload any more. The killer combination of the 10 cents, the AI review and knowing that their download price per image went up some 20 cents ($3.60-ish, just from memory) while they cut our share by 60%!! It ain't gonna go down well with any self respecting contributor! If they hesitated before to close their account before they find out the real numbers! Well. The real numbers are in! $3.60 to SS, 10 cents to you. Totally, totally fair!! and this "new reality" is just too fresh to really show up in the numbers yet. This pop in revenue was a one time miracle for SS. Won't (can't) last! Wait next quarter! I hope they will be hit hard for contributors' sake. 

2 hours ago, Blue Corner Studio said:

My guess is that for most contributors here it's not worth it to upload any more. The killer combination of the 10 cents, the AI review and knowing that their download price per image went up some 20 cents ($3.60-ish, just from memory)...

I think the problem for contributors is, while Shutterstock's royalty cut has brutally decreased their incomes, none of their competitors have been able to take advantage of the situation. I think all the other MS sites have missed the boat on offering lucrative exclusivity agreements for photographers, probably because they aren't doing particularly well either. So, yeah, you may be right about SS being hit hard next year but the situation for contributors doesn't really change because they still won't have anywhere left to go where they can make some money.

6 hours ago, Evelyn de Waard said:

It all just feels a bit ‘fishy’ to me... Could the contributors that kept uploading have been favoured by the algorithm ? Hence, my sales went up too ?

I thought that might be the case. It would make sense to encourage those uploading to continue..

2 hours ago, balajisrinivasan said:

I think the problem for contributors is, while Shutterstock's royalty cut has brutally decreased their incomes, none of their competitors have been able to take advantage of the situation. I think all the other MS sites have missed the boat on offering lucrative exclusivity agreements for photographers, probably because they aren't doing particularly well either. So, yeah, you may be right about SS being hit hard next year but the situation for contributors doesn't really change because they still won't have anywhere left to go where they can make some money.

No other stock site can take advantage of the situation; only the authors can take advantage of the situation. The number of downloads on SS has decreased by about 300,000-400,000 per week, but is about 900,000. Yes, the quality has fallen, but the volume is almost not.... That is, the authors continue to ship and then what do we want from SS?
With SS will be about the same as with IS\GI, my opinion.

However, many people live in hope that everything will return, that's for nothing.... nothing on the SS will change.... new authors will come, for whom $0.1 is good and will ship further. With SS will leave or stop adding to the portfolio most of those who have expenses for photos and SS will be forced to look for a solution. However, this decision will definitely not be associated with raising the amount of payments to the authors....((((