Hi everybody,

I’m happy to let you know that you can now upload your videos and images using FTPS rather than FTP! FTPS is a more secure option that still allows efficient upload speeds. 

If you’re already familiar with uploading images and videos using FTP, you’ll find FTPS is very similar. Most of the same applications will work, but logging in is a bit different. We’ve outlined how to log in to FTPS in this updated post.

Though our old FTP is still available, I encourage you to make the switch to FTPS now. In the coming months, we will email out a notice and take down the FTP, leaving only FTPS for video and bulk image upload. 

Thanks,

Kate

On 7/28/2020 at 6:53 PM, Kate Shutterstock said:

Hi everybody,

I’m happy to let you know that you can now upload your videos and images using FTPS rather than FTP! FTPS is a more secure option that still allows efficient upload speeds. 

If you’re already familiar with uploading images and videos using FTP, you’ll find FTPS is very similar. Most of the same applications will work, but logging in is a bit different. We’ve outlined how to log in to FTPS in this updated post.

Though our old FTP is still available, I encourage you to make the switch to FTPS now. In the coming months, we will email out a notice and take down the FTP, leaving only FTPS for video and bulk image upload. 

Thanks,

Kate

what are the advantages of this Protocol over the old one?

13 hours ago, Evgeny Drablenkov said:

what are the advantages of this Protocol over the old one?

It's security. When you upload via FTP, your username and password are transferred via plan text through the internet. This is crazy nowadays as anybody who can see them if they are in the same network as you (e.g. if you connected to free WiFi anywhere). I wrote about that long time ago.

Resolutions to this security hole could be: using SFTP (less advanced than FTPS), using FTPS (like Shutterstock) or using separate credentials for FTP upload (as Adobe stock / Fotolia does). So it's a rather good change.

I have no idea why so many people are downvoting this announcement. It's a good thing, and something we've been asking for for a long time.

If you don't want to upload anymore, then don't upload anymore. Easy as that.

@Kate Shutterstock, is your FTP upload down now? I uploaded a video with MicrostockPlus on Friday and it's still not showing up on your end. They have confirmed the transmission showed no errors on their end.
Then today I attempted to reupload it myself, however I'm unable to connect to your FTP host. Below are the messages I'm seeing in FileZilla:
ftps.shutterstock.com
Error:            Connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity
Error:            Could not connect to server
Error:            Connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity
Error:            Could not connect to server

I've tried connecting both with my username and my email address, to no avail.