Sign in to follow this  
balajisrinivasan

Microsoft Advertising

So what does this actually mean for contributors? Because when you say "The integration allows Microsoft advertisers to access millions of free, ready-to-use images", you make it sound as if the entire database is being given away for free. Do contributors get paid when Microsoft Ad users use their images in their commercials?

https://www.shutterstock.com/blog/shutterstock-microsoft-integration?fbclid=IwAR2iKsSjYte4BcGEzMm9Ft9fl2lPWE7EIaMNVIQTUIL63RWnsLyPg7W8L8I

It sounds exactly like the Projector thing, except for the word "free". Nobody from Shutterstock has ever really explained how this works and what we get paid for these. My (very limited) understanding with the Projector platform was that this is a streaming license only, but it's not very clear.

@Kate Shutterstock could you please enlighten us what is and is not allowed and how we get paid.

Hi! 

Great questions. Thanks for posting.

While the images are free to use for Microsoft advertisers, Microsoft is covering the license fees on behalf of its advertisers. While we don't disclose the specifics of API deals, I can share that the Microsoft partnership does not result in the lowest possible royalty paid to contributors.

8 minutes ago, Kate Shutterstock said:

Hi! 

While the images are free to use for Microsoft advertisers, Microsoft is covering the license fees on behalf of its advertisers. While we don't disclose the specifics of API deals, I can share that the Microsoft partnership does not result in the lowest possible royalty paid to contributors.

It's comforting to know that Shutterstock's complete lack of transparency won't result in us getting a dime - but at least .11.

24 minutes ago, Kate Shutterstock said:

Hi! 

Ya, not the lowest amount possible, but low enough to be embarrassing and insulting not to post it.

2 hours ago, Kate Shutterstock said:

Hi! 

Oh,

at least now I have half an answer. The shutterstock support could not answer the question if we are paid and in which amount, but they wanted me to evaluate the support today.

Personally this makes me sad. I am disappointed. I am angry. I am unmotivated. And I feel cheated by shutterstock and degraded to a fifth class "slave".

Bill Gates, founder of Microsoft, has made billions with the company. Today, he has the largest private foundation in the world with a philanthropic focus, one of whose aims is to fight poverty.

Shutterstock is now helping his successors to continue the company's success story, so that at some point they will have enough money to set up a foundation to fight poverty.

I am very sure that hundreds of thousands of shutterstock contributors - especially in the Corona crisis - would be thrilled if Microsoft already had a heart, and would pay appropriately for the images for the ads. Which obviously is not the case - otherwise the remuneration would be proudly announced here.

What an incredible anachronism! Capitalism shows its ugly face. I find the whole development at shutterstock simply incredible. Is the water standing so high up to your neck? I'm sure that many of us providers are also up to our necks in water - you should consider that in all your actions!

But it's the same as always and at the moment all over the world: Those who have the most will be given even more. And those who don't know how to find food for their children next week are being deprived of even more. What an antisocial society!!!

Corporate kleptocracy as a result of the capitalist system turning from relatively benign to increasingly malignant.

On 7/22/2020 at 3:17 AM, Milo J said:

It sounds exactly like the Projector thing, except for the word "free". Nobody from Shutterstock has ever really explained how this works and what we get paid for these. My (very limited) understanding with the Projector platform was that this is a streaming license only, but it's not very clear.

@Kate Shutterstock could you please enlighten us what is and is not allowed and how we get paid.

Projector is also free.