blvdone

Video subscription is undercutting myself on other sites

I hope Shutterstock will end this nonsense fire sale program.  I only get like $3 per clip when I should get over $20 per HD clip and $60 for 4k clip.  They are giving away our 4k clips for $9.95.  This is ridiculous.  I unlicensed my portfolio because of this.  They should create opt-out option for the video subscription program.  Until then, I won't license my clips here on Shutterstock.

On 7/20/2020 at 5:56 AM, blvdone said:

I hope Shutterstock will end this nonsense fire sale program.  I only get like $3 per clip when I should get over $20 per HD clip.

Since SS started the video subscription program the vast majority of my videos are licensing for 43 cents.  That's just insane and I can't see any reason to let SS have my work any longer.  In fact it's detrimental to my business and the industry as a whole to allow it.

2 hours ago, MSPhotographic said:

Since SS started the video subscription program the vast majority of my videos are licensing for 43 cents.  That's just insane and I can't see any reason to let SS have my work any longer.  In fact it's detrimental to my business and the industry as a whole to allow it.

Yes, video sub is disgusting.  I unlicensed my portfolio about a week ago.  They should create opt out option.  They are giving out our 4k clips for $9.95.

Those who'll take advantage of this subscription program are likely to be big clients who can afford yearly contract.  So, your loss will be significant.  They can buy your 4k clip for $9.95 instead of $199.99 on Adobe Stock.  I urge all video contributors to unlicense your portfolio.  Just go to "Account Settings" and click "No" on "Licensing Option".  You can license again after 30 days.  Until Shutterstock creates opt-out option for video subscription, I'm out.  It's a bad business.

Were unimportant to shutterstock. I notice lately a lot of very good video material on free sites. Those are professionals that opt to give they´re work for free in exchange for someones donation. I hear many make more money that way than in stock agencies. You all should check it out, its free and it is the result of stock agencies and they´re greed. Heres one of those sites:

https://www.pexels.com/videos/

Recently, I received my lowest return Ive ever had for a video sale on SS - $7.20. Previously, my lowest was $10 for a clip. I know that others have received much lower returns than that for videos. But for me - it's an indication that things are changing dramatically here on SS. Things are far from stable. As soon as I get my next payout next month, I'll be disabling both of my ports.

I'm disappointed because big names in stock video haven't unlicensed their video portfolio yet.  I think it's a bad business move giving out their clips for pennies to big buyers who can afford to pay normal price.

On 7/27/2020 at 5:34 PM, blvdone said:

Yes, video sub is disgusting.  I unlicensed my portfolio about a week ago.  They should create opt out option.  They are giving out our 4k clips for $9.95.

SS has made it clear since day one they couldn't care less about their contributors or the health of the industry.  So they certainly won't give us an opt out option, they know we would all select it.  But I think SS is about to learn that none of us care about SS either.  What's the point?  10 cents? 43 cents? I can't park my car long enough to open the door and stand up and push the record button for that.

On 7/27/2020 at 7:09 PM, Cappelletti_pictures said:

Were unimportant to shutterstock. I notice lately a lot of very good video material on free sites. Those are professionals that opt to give they´re work for free in exchange for someones donation. I hear many make more money that way than in stock agencies. You all should check it out, its free and it is the result of stock agencies and they´re greed. Heres one of those sites:

https://www.pexels.com/videos/

Very BAD idea.  When people can get something for nothing they aren't going to pay for it.  And it devalues the work of ALL photographers and ALL videographers when people do it.  If someone thinks their work is worth that little, they shouldn't upload it anywhere.

1 hour ago, MSPhotographic said:

Very BAD idea.  When people can get something for nothing they aren't going to pay for it.  And it devalues the work of ALL photographers and ALL videographers when people do it.  If someone thinks their work is worth that little, they shouldn't upload it anywhere.

Well I hope no one believes I applaud this but my point was that stock agencies are paying so little some are basically resorting to desperate measures such as taking anything someone is willing to give or not. The market is being driven in a direction were people end up doing it for free. That is why I work for those that pay the higher returns only and am leaving shutter for instance.

I just received $1 for a clip, seriously unbelievable. It's of something I paid to actually do to get the footage as I was getting a good amount for my clips until this change in royalties came about. I have received more for quick, unedited images snapped on my Samsung phone since the changes.

This is the first time in 4 years that I actually wont even make minumum payment!

WTH, still sold as many if not more images than before. I will be shutting down my portfolio as soon as I can get a minimum payout of whats owing to me. I've already been screwed by Getty Images who deleted my sign in and all my royalties owed have been wiped with no response. This is the worst industry to be in. 

Actually, now I'm in two minds about disabling my video port. It is the right time to do it as my earnings have just zeroed (ready for my next payout.) Though the thing is - Ive never experienced any of those insanely low video sale amounts. Like I mentioned above, my lowest was $7.20 for a clip. Although not a great return for a video, it's not super, super low as others have experienced. I guess if I leave my video port open, it's inevitable that I'll get those ultra low commissions eventually? And I certainly wouldn't be happy about that. 

Okay Ive made up my mind. I'll disable both ports as originally planned. Here's hoping that the payment will still go through. 

7 hours ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Actually, now I'm in two minds about disabling my video port. It is the right time to do it as my earnings have just zeroed (ready for my next payout.) Though the thing is - Ive never experienced any of those insanely low video sale amounts. Like I mentioned above, my lowest was $7.20 for a clip. Although not a great return for a video, it's not super, super low as others have experienced. I guess if I leave my video port open, it's inevitable that I'll get those ultra low commissions eventually? And I certainly wouldn't be happy about that. 

You only have 105 video clips.  That's why.  I have over 10,000 clips and those subscription sales were frequent.  I got like $2.99 for 4k or HD clip sale.  It's ridiculous.  I could've made 20x more per 4k clip sale on Adobe Stock or Pond5.  I bet those who take advantage of yearly subscription contract are big production/media buyers.  They don't need discount but Shutterstock give it to them disregarding contributors' pockets.

6 hours ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Okay Ive made up my mind. I'll disable both ports as originally planned. Here's hoping that the payment will still go through. 

Congratulations for unlicensing your video portfolio here.  I hope big major contributors will follow this too.  I will not turn on licensing video portfolio until Shutterstock creates opt-out option for video Subscription.  I probably will make less money overall, but my dignity as a creator/business owner is more important than giving out my clips for pennies here.  I am in charge of controlling my price by selling on Pond5 and Adobe Stock, but not on Shutterstock.

16 hours ago, blvdone said:

You only have 105 video clips.  That's why.  I have over 10,000 clips and those subscription sales were frequent.  I got like $2.99 for 4k or HD clip sale.  

Well obviously - larger ports = more sales most of the time. Then again, there are people who have hundreds of videos in their port with 0 sales. Though port size shouldn't affect how much a clip is payed for. It is the particular plan and license that the buyer has purchased that determines the price and our commission. Regardless, most of my video sales ranged from $21 - $23 generally. Never got any of those $1.50 or $0.60c video sales that people were angry about in the recent past. 

Anyhow yes, I have disabled. I also deleted most of my sold videos as well before the disabling. 

Had 3 footage sales over the last 2 days all at $0.58 even though I disabled my images and footage as soon as I had my 1st image sale for 10c,

apparently they can still keep selling for 90 days after you disable your port.

The sooner this outfit goes to the wall the better

12 hours ago, kenny1 said:

Had 3 footage sales over the last 2 days all at $0.58 even though I disabled my images and footage as soon as I had my 1st image sale for 10c,

apparently they can still keep selling for 90 days after you disable your port.

The sooner this outfit goes to the wall the better

I had a sale days after I unlicensed my portfolio too.  It was strange.  As long as it's a high price sale, I don't mind it.

On 7/20/2020 at 10:27 AM, njene said:

Hope is a wonderful thing, but SS is hopeless

Their stock is going up now.  So, they would care even less about contributors for sure.  I'll turn my photo portfolio back on, but not video portfolio till they create opt-out option for $9.95/4k clip video subscription.

I'm surprised that many big sellers are ok with giving out their 4k/HD clips for $9.95 to big buyers who buy yearly video subscription on Shutterstock.  They would pay $199.95 per 4k clip on Adobe Stock instead if you unlicense your video portfolio here on Shutterstock.  You'll make more than 20x more in commission, $70 instead of $2.99.  It's a bad business, people!!!