Josh Forwood

Why are my sale figfures so low

I'm new to stock so please forgive me if this is a very beginner question, in the week that I've been on Shutterstock, I've sold 8 images and 1 video (which is more than I was expecting to have sold this early on).

However, each image is only making me $0.10 profit. Is this really the rate I should be getting? On Getty I get between $0.37 and $1.05 per image sale as my starting rate.

If this is normal then I apologise but it seems surprisingly low. Thanks everyone and I hope you're managing to stay safe.

Yes, that's the "new normal" on Shutterstock.
It's possible to get more as the prices depend on what plan a customer has with SS, but most sales will be around 0.10$.

With all the discussions and outrage online in various platforms, I'm surprised you didn't know about the recent massive pay cut to SS contributors. Some contributors have had their income reduced by 50%, sometimes more. Many people have decided to disable their portfolios and leave because of this. 

I'm getting tired of all those $0.10 photo sales and $1.00 video sales on Shutterstock these days.  I think I'll have to turn off my portfolio if this low sales continue here.  I can't undercut myself on other sites like Pond5 and AdobeStock that pay decent money for sales.  Shutterstock is becoming iStock/Getty.  Big mistake for Shutterstock.  We'll see a massive exodus of contributors soon if Shutterstock doesn't stop those cheap disrespectful sales/commission.

5 minutes ago, blvdone said:

We'll see a massive exodus of contributors soon if Shutterstock doesn't stop those cheap disrespectful sales/commission.

It's already happening and I don't think SS cares.

15 minutes ago, blvdone said:

I'm getting tired of all those $0.10 photo sales and $1.00 video sales on Shutterstock these days.  I think I'll have to turn off my portfolio if this low sales continue here.  I can't undercut myself on other sites like Pond5 and AdobeStock that pay decent money for sales.  Shutterstock is becoming iStock/Getty.  Big mistake for Shutterstock.  We'll see a massive exodus of contributors soon if Shutterstock doesn't stop those cheap disrespectful sales/commission.

I haven't uploaded to Pond5, are they any good? I'm on Getty and Adobe at the moment

1 hour ago, blvdone said:

I think you are right that there will be a huge exodus of contributors soon.Even if people don't disable portfolios it makes no sense to add new work. I presume this makes midterm financial sense for the company otherwise they wouldn't do it. I thought there was going to be a huge increase in the number of downloads but that doesn't appear to be happening either...no new customers?All very puzzling.

Well there is no reason for having new customers...

SS wanted to have income that reflects the market and also allow us to "feel the market" because they were huge discrepancy between our earnings and what SS received for it. But they also choose to cut in our earnings in the mean time. They could have decided to compensate by giving a higher % to everyone (starting at 25% and finishing at 50% and not 15%-40%), without changing anything to video (most of us will never go to level 3 in terms of video sales, so it's a huge paycut), by giving the "unsold" part of a download plan to the people that have some download on that plan (let say someone pay 750 pics but use only half of them, then the real price per pics isn't 30 cents but 60 cents, but right now we still have a % of that 30 cents), etc. 

We could have more customer if the market was a bit better (but it's not), if SS lowers the price and does a lot of offers (but then we'll have less at the end, unless it's a huge number of new customers), if our rights were really protected (and the platform where you can download content for free where forbidden), or if SS merge with some other company that will promote our work to new markets... 

1 hour ago, lonndubh said:

I thought there was going to be a huge increase in the number of downloads but that doesn't appear to be happening either...no new customers?All very puzzling.

Why would there be a huge increase in downloads?

1 hour ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Why would there be a huge increase in downloads?

I felt the drop in contributors share would allow SS to drop prices for customers and thus increase sales?? 

Just now, lonndubh said:

I felt the drop in contributors share would allow SS to drop prices for customers and thus increase sales?? 

I keep hearing that the prices that customers pay have remained the same. The only change is that SS gets richer while contributors get poorer.

33 minutes ago, lonndubh said:

They didn’t lower our share because of a price decrease to customers. If you read the thread in the announcements section, they lowered our share because they were already charging customers less than they should have to cover our previous earnings level. So rather than adjust the price up for customers, they lowered our earnings. It was their FUBAR that we get to pay for.  That’s how I interpreted the information I read anyway. 

The turning point will be their annual report - now they have sold themselves for a fortune and become a player on the stock market. If the profit goes up they will lower the contributor fees even more and if it goes down - maybe they will rethink the whole ting ..?

Well this has been eye opening, thanks for being a welcoming community and not shooting me down for a stupid question.
In light of this, I don't think I'll be continuing to upload to SS until things change. I'll focus more on iStock and Adobe.
Thanks again!

14 hours ago, Josh Forwood said:

I'm new to stock so please forgive me if this is a very beginner question, in the week that I've been on Shutterstock, I've sold 8 images and 1 video (which is more than I was expecting to have sold this early on).

However, each image is only making me $0.10 profit. Is this really the rate I should be getting? On Getty I get between $0.37 and $1.05 per image sale as my starting rate.

If this is normal then I apologise but it seems surprisingly low. Thanks everyone and I hope you're managing to stay safe.

You´re wasting time here. All I see is 10 cts, some 11 cts and some rare .58 cts. Go make some real money.

1 hour ago, Creatus said:

Contributor since 2011, level 4, nearing level 5 (taking forever with current sales volume) so will share my last 10 sales again when that next level is reached.

Last 10 sales at SS: 0.12 / 0.12 / 0.10 / 0.10 / 0.10 / 0.10 / 0.18 / 0.17 / 0.14 / 0.14 = $1.71

Last 10 sales at AS: 0.43 / 0.43 / 0.43 / 0.43 / 0.43 / 0.43 / 0.43 / 1.13 / 0.43 / 1.13 = $5.70

My video portfolio was already disabled before June 2020 since I will not accept less then 30%. Image portfolio stays online only until Jan 2021 unless some drastic changes happen which I highly doubt.

No new uploads though and I've noticed that the people I have been following since day one are doing the same. These are previously featured and successful contributors that hav been here since the beginning so not your average Joe.

Thanks for sharing, really interesting to see. 
This seems very much to be SS shooting themselves in the foot, what did they think was going to happen?

Josh, with the previous payment system, $0.25c was the standard rate for subscriptions for Level 1 and it had been that way for many years. Still pretty low but a heck of a lot better than it is now. If you made $500, you moved on to Level 2 in which you got $0.33c for each sub sale. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe with Level 3, you made $0.36c for sub sales once you had made $1000. It took me ages to get there but I had only just recently joined the $0.33c club myself and then they scrapped the whole thing and changed it to the present system so that was a kick in the guts. 

Amazing and I´m sure they would have done this with or without Covid. At this point it´s best to short on this site and bet against it, that will bring in more money than to continue uploading and supporting this direction.

On 7/16/2020 at 4:37 PM, Josh Forwood said:

We are all mostly on the same boat!! In this month alone I have sold 12 images for a princely sum of 1.2 dollars (combined)!! Go figure!!

On 7/17/2020 at 1:24 PM, Josh Forwood said:

Thanks for sharing, really interesting to see. 
This seems very much to be SS shooting themselves in the foot, what did they think was going to happen?

Some/many believe that they want to show some quick, one time large (though "fake") profit and set themselves up to be acquired. Good luck to them I say. if any potential buyer is that gullible. You have a not too large, yet impressive collection. Lucky you that you make progress at iS! I just decided that once I get my next payout ($17 short), I will close that down. It brought me 9 bucks in June : ). SS even with the new price structure brought in a few times that. what's the deal with some of your penguin shots being there 2-3 times? Not that they are bad! Just wondering how they let it thru with the new strict no similars policy. In your shoes I would concentrate only adding at AS. All the others...meah!

2 hours ago, Blue Corner Studio said:

You have a not too large, yet impressive collection. 

Thanks, yeah it's just my initial couple of batches as I only joined a week or two ago and still sorting through most of my stuff but will be starting to upload weekly (though likely not to SS).

Just wondering how they let it thru with the new strict no similars policy.

I'm not sure really, I presumed most of them would just be declined but they seemed to just get approved. 

In your shoes I would concentrate only adding at AS. All the others...meah!

As I'm so new to the game I'm testing the waters in a few, so I either have or am in the middle of setting up profiles on iStock, Alamy, Adobe, and Pond5 as well as obviously SS. I'll monitor how well they do and cull my accounts based on how I find them I think.

9 minutes ago, Josh Forwood said:

Thanks, yeah it's just my initial couple of batches as I only joined a week or two ago and still sorting through most of my stuff but will be starting to upload weekly (though likely not to SS).

I'm not sure really, I presumed most of them would just be declined but they seemed to just get approved. 

As I'm so new to the game I'm testing the waters in a few, so I either have or am in the middle of setting up profiles on iStock, Alamy, Adobe, and Pond5 as well as obviously SS. I'll monitor how well they do and cull my accounts based on how I find them I think.

Sure. Sounds like a plan! My experience though at Alamy is that the upload and review is easy, but not sure who can sell there. Certainly not me. I only uploaded there stuff that easily sells at other 3-4 sites, yet not a single sale of them at Alamy. But since you have decent luck at iS too, maybe Alamy suits you.vi am curious. Good luck!!

On 7/17/2020 at 11:29 AM, Creatus said:

Contributor since 2011, level 4, nearing level 5 (taking forever with current sales volume) so will share my last 10 sales again when that next level is reached.

Last 10 sales at SS: 0.12 / 0.12 / 0.10 / 0.10 / 0.10 / 0.10 / 0.18 / 0.17 / 0.14 / 0.14 = $1.71

Last 10 sales at AS: 0.43 / 0.43 / 0.43 / 0.43 / 0.43 / 0.43 / 0.43 / 1.13 / 0.43 / 1.13 = $5.70

My video portfolio was already disabled before June 2020 since I will not accept less then 30%. Image portfolio stays online only until Jan 2021 unless some drastic changes happen which I highly doubt.

No new uploads though and I've noticed that the people I have been following since day one are doing the same. These are previously featured and successful contributors that hav been here since the beginning so not your average Joe.

It's unfortunate for me but sales at AS may be worth more per download but the volume isn't there.

If I take my last 10 sales here and at AS:

SS:   $0.10/0.17/0.17/0.12/0.13/1.08/0.12/0.10/0.10/0.10  =  $2.19
AS:   £0.27/0.27/0.31/0.74/0.27/0.74/0.74/0.74/0.74/0.27   = £5.09

In USD equivalents I made almost 3X as much in the last 10 sales at AS. Unfortunately at AS (with essentially the same portfolio) I only have a grand total of 26 sales for the month so far which brings in £13.61.

Here I have 119 downloads for $41.00.

The only question I have, is how low does a month have to go before I turn off my port in disgust?

3 hours ago, stevemart said:

In USD equivalents I made almost 3X as much in the last 10 sales at AS. Unfortunately at AS (with essentially the same portfolio) I only have a grand total of 26 sales for the month so far which brings in £13.61.

Here I have 119 downloads for $41.00.

The only question I have, is how low does a month have to go before I turn off my port in disgust?

That is very true. AS is not exactly a "speed demon". Still better than DT and iS.