When you shoot in collaboration with other people, for example. I just shot some images in a beauty studio. the deal is, they get the images, I get their studio to shoot in. In my experience, there a lot of different people. Some of them are impatient and are calling me every day when I will send them images, and I have like 5 shoots to edit and just don't have enough time to send them all their images at once. What do you do? Do you send them unedited images and keep it like that, or you deal with them once at a time. I get that some of you that are making a lot of bucks here can pay for the venue where you shoot, but I am still not that guy. Also, do you send them full resolution jpgs or web resolution?

If they didn't pay for the images, this was a barter arrangement, tell them to please be patient, that you're working on getting their images to them. 

I wouldn't do any editing, just slap the images on CD, DVD and give to them, or upload all the images to Dropbox, e-mail them the url and say "there ya go".

Yeah, give them the full-resolution images.

Give ONE point of contact person ALL the images on CD or DVD.  Then, if other people want just one or two images from those, they can contact that one person. 

Or tell them the Dropbox website url, where all the images are, where they can then pick and choose which image(s) they want and download.

I never pay for location. As Mike say i work Barter arrangement, but i make sure they know beforehand they will get the content 7 days AFTER the shoot. Establish a date of delivery beforehand. Also a number of images. Try to have everything talked and agreed upon starting pre production, and make them sign and agreement.  I ALWAYS edit the best images and give them the priority to receive their content before i start  uploading my stuff. 1st) because they will be very happy to see great work and you will always have an open door for a free location. 2nd) after you have done that you can focus on yourself without interruptions! 

Another piece of advice, make them sign a property release for the location BEFORE the shoot too. all of this is my recipe for a conflict free environmet that is sustainable for a long time!

19 hours ago, Marko Subotin said:

We sign the release during or just after the shoot. What do you emphasize to do it before the shoot? never had problems with that.

Doing so has many advantages. Having all the agreements clear and legal stuff out, gives you a change to focus on "creating" or "producing". 2nd, sometimes people forget, after a long shoot we have to pack lights, gear, check we are not leaving behing anything. Sometimes some models have to leave early, etc.

So yeah, if your portfolio is good it will make "half of the sale" while negotiation for the location, and if you are transparent and have good referencens people will have no problem doing it this way. It sure helps not having issues down the road

As i said, its the way i work, not the only way. 

cheers,

Have you guys found this sort of barter deal worth your while? I've only done it once, and so far the returns have been underwhelming.

1 minute ago, Milo J said:

Have you guys found this sort of barter deal worth your while? I've only done it once, and so far the returns have been underwhelming.

How underwhelming?

At this point, it has covered my gas getting there, and parking fees at the location. And maybe a Starbucks coffee.

Actually, now that I'm taking a closer look, I made around 50 bucks off the shoot so far. Forgot that one of the clips finally started to sell. So, I guess it still has the potential to eventually earn me my regular half day rate for the location shoot sometime in the next decade.

On 7/18/2020 at 3:14 PM, engagestock said:

At the end, at least shooting with models seems to be still worth the try. Shooting everything else, like editorial, food, travel, or still life seems like more of a high volume or luck theme.

I would invest more of my time and money into arranging model shoots if the market wasn't already so saturated. Every time I think I have a great idea for something, I look it up on Shutterstock and sure enough, it has already been done. Not just done, but done way better than I could even do it. So, that is a tad demotivating. I could be wrong, maybe the demand for such footage vastly outstrips supply, and there is always room for more. I would be curious to hear how long it takes you to recoup the $400 for your day's shoot in clip and image sales.

For me, the beauty of shooting editorial is that there is usually much less competition for a given subject. Plus, there are no expenses.