Sign in to follow this  
Jennifer Gottschalk

Let's see what you're working on

Got an email from SS asking what I'm working on as I have not submitted since they slashed the payout.  Guess what SS, I'm working on heaps of stuff BUT there is no way I'm uploading anything new.  Not when all I get for most downloads is 10c.

It's not worth my time.

I have been spending time working with other agencies and uploading content there.  In due course, I'll probably kill my portfolio (all 40,000 images) - which is what happens when you do not value your contributors / pay them a fair rate.

Want to avoid this and get your experienced contributors back on board?  Pay us what we're worth - which is more than 10c for most images.

Yep, exactly... I would LOVE to respond to that email with this but... not like anyone will read it or care anyway so... I can just laugh at the inevitability of their realising they messed up.

-------------

Well isn't this nice,

You know full well why no one, including me is not uploading new work... the disgraceful way you threw us all under the bus recently has not gone down well, the entire industry is supporting us, be it verbally, financially or in other ways and you lot.... you do the worst thing at the worst time.

So there is quite literally no point going to the trouble of creating new work, keywording, uploading, dealing with your insanely infuriating keyword killer and then the more insane rejections to possibly get the work accepted for the prospect of selling it for 10 cents....

You guys have .. as the saying goes, cut off your d--k to spite your wife.. or cut off your nose to spite your face... you get the idea, .... and you know it so begging for uploads to the very people whose work you deemed worthless is laughable, it is not going to help you as you have lost ALL the good faith people had, all of it, it's long gone and you will never get it back unless you do some REAL begging and fix it.

Even then, no.

You should not have promised your shareholders In January the dividends you were only able to financially back up by decimating our incomes, you should all be ashamed of yourselves.
But.. you're not so.. there we go.

Yeah, actually I am happy to say I am creating a lot of new work and it's better than ever and selling well on other agencies.Thanks for asking.

Have.. a nice day.

I was wondering if there was some selection for the receipt of the email beyond merely not uploading - but then today it arrives.

So to add to the replies people would make if they thought they would do any good at all

Dear Shutterstock, regards the "what are you working on" email.

The answer in a nutshell is "nothing".

I am a sufferer of a long term incurable health problem that prevents me from finding normal paid employment.  Since taking up photography I have found a way to start earning a small amount of money on a self employed basis with the prospect of building up portfolios that will continue to earn income when I am incapacitated.  I cannot stress the importance the role of photography has in my life.

Obviously the Corvid-19 situation has impacted people hard in various ways.  I was keeping my focus on my stock work, something I could still do, something I could still be rewarded for.   In mid May I had some more serious issues to deal with, then as I set about picking myself up and returning to focusing on work I was greeted with the email informing me of the change in rates to 10c a download.  This was a further blow but I decided to wait and see how it actually worked.  The result was my average income per download per download dropped by over 30% from my previous lowest of 25c and was well over 50% down on my total average per download.

Right now I have totally lost my motivation to put in any sort of photographic work.  I have almost stopped taking photos altogether.  I am just left with a humongous "what is the point"  Maybe to some the difference between 25c and 10c is not a lot - but it turns out for me that 15c difference is what separates being willing to take pain and exhaustion for the pride in producing good work and seeing it sell and not bothering, just accepting doing nothing because I can see no point in battling.

I will survive, I will pick myself up eventually.  I may start to produce again.  In the meantime I am afraid you will have to accept the consequences of your decisions to change contributor rates where contributors stop working because they see no point in continuing.

8 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

I was wondering if there was some selection for the receipt of the email beyond merely not uploading - but then today it arrives.

So to add to the replies people would make if they thought they would do any good at all

I am a sufferer of a long term incurable health problem that prevents me from finding normal paid employment.  Since taking up photography I have found a way to start earning a small amount of money on a self employed basis with the prospect of building up portfolios that will continue to earn income when I am incapacitated.  I cannot stress the importance the role of photography has in my life.

Obviously the Corvid-19 situation has impacted people hard in various ways.  I was keeping my focus on my stock work, something I could still do, something I could still be rewarded for.   In mid May I had some more serious issues to deal with, then as I set about picking myself up and returning to focusing on work I was greeted with the email informing me of the change in rates to 10c a download.  This was a further blow but I decided to wait and see how it actually worked.  The result was my average income per download per download dropped by over 30% from my previous lowest of 25c and was well over 50% down on my total average per download.

Right now I have totally lost my motivation to put in any sort of photographic work.  I have almost stopped taking photos altogether.  I am just left with a humongous "what is the point"  Maybe to some the difference between 25c and 10c is not a lot - but it turns out for me that 15c difference is what separates being willing to take pain and exhaustion for the pride in producing good work and seeing it sell and not bothering, just accepting doing nothing because I can see no point in battling.

I will survive, I will pick myself up eventually.  I may start to produce again.  In the meantime I am afraid you will have to accept the consequences of your decisions to change contributor rates where contributors stop working because they see no point in continuing.

Very soryu for toy. Keep making gew but quality photos and they will sell + do it for tour pleasure.

Im working on some mandalas, at this moment I have around 500 of them, too bad I dont have where to sale them...

L006_5Big.jpg

23 hours ago, Starsphinx said:

I hope you get some good news soon. Chin up.

I got the same email.  Like everyone else, I no longer upload to Shutterstock!  Not for .10, anyhow.  In addition, I got another e-mail requesting my assistance on another matter.  I chose not to respond to either one, although I wanted to tell them what I really thought, like the rest of you.

Starsphinx, I too thought about giving up photography after SS's kick in the teeth but I get too much enjoyment out of it.  Shutterstock won't take that away from me.  If you derive satisfaction from photography, keep at it, just upload somewhere else.  Who knows what will happen, some good might come out of all this. 

15 hours ago, Steve Bower said:

I got the same email.  Like everyone else, I no longer upload to Shutterstock!  Not for .10, anyhow.  In addition, I got another e-mail requesting my assistance on another matter.  I chose not to respond to either one, although I wanted to tell them what I really thought, like the rest of you.

Starsphinx, I too thought about giving up photography after SS's kick in the teeth but I get too much enjoyment out of it.  Shutterstock won't take that away from me.  If you derive satisfaction from photography, keep at it, just upload somewhere else.  Who knows what will happen, some good might come out of all this. 

It is not that I am giving photography up it is that have totally lost my mojo - and SS is only part of it - the timing was awful though.  I am having that problem where a photographer cannot "see" the scene they are looking at which of course results in flat bland output that does not satisfy.