Kathy Hutchins

After Six Weeks -- What is working and not working with New Contributor Rates?

@Kate Shutterstock  Can you update us on what the analysis has been regarding the change of contributor commission rates?  Has it driven new sales substantially?  Is management going to review its policy to see where the problems lie?  I can almost understand that if my number of sales goes up by 75%, then the $0.10 commission minimum is going to be worth it overall.  However, I am not seeing substantial increases in the number of sales.  I hope that at least the January 1 reset can be addressed and based on a rolling 12 month average, or levels grandfathered in for proven contributors.  Please respond in detail.

What's working:  I've seen some $.40 and higher subscription image sales.

Strangely, $10 and higher video sales have gone up too.  Before the change, I was lucky to get 1-2 video sales per year.  Since the switch June 2020, I've been getting 1-2 per month.

What's not working:  The majority of sales are $.10s and $.11s.

Overall download quantity has remained the same for me since before the switch, in the 40s per month.

7 hours ago, Kathy Hutchins said:

Has it driven new sales substantially?  However, I am not seeing substantial increases in the number of sales.

Did you get that SS is keeping the money they don't pay us anymore?? There is no price cut to customer, so 0 reason that sales increase.

On 7/9/2020 at 1:41 AM, Kathy Hutchins said:

I can almost understand that if my number of sales goes up by 75%, then the $0.10 commission minimum is going to be worth it overall.  However, I am not seeing substantial increases in the number of sales. 

Were you expecting an increae in sales? If so, why? Shutterstock only cut our commissions drastically. They did not change anything about the prices they offer their customers. They still have to pay the same for images as before the change, so why would our cut in commissions have any positive effect on sale numbers?
All SS did with this change was to make sure that they earn a greater part of the money. More sales for contributors was not part of the plan. If the cut in our comissions had been a result of lowered prices for customers, that might have looked different, but it was just a result of SS keeping a greater part of the money from our sales for themselves.

On 7/9/2020 at 1:41 AM, Kathy Hutchins said:

Is management going to review its policy to see where the problems lie?

There is no problem on Shutterstock's end. They earn more money than before. Everything worked out fine for them. It's only a problem for us contributors.

What difference would no reset mean at Jan. 1st anyway? I am level 3 and the last 10 downloads all came in at 10 cents!! Maybe one was 13 cents. Yes, I split it up into 10 cents + 3 cents and only spent the 10, while 3 cents I deposited into a piggy bank for those "lean years"!! I would feel irresponsible spending it all! Hesus C! We are still discussing 10, 13, 15 cents of "income". The 25 before was shameful, and now this...this stomach turning, unspeakable 10 - 12 cents??? And this coming from a company listed at the stock exchange and having posh offices in the ESB?? Makes me sick. 

11 hours ago, Kathy Hutchins said:

@Kate Shutterstock  Can you update us on what the analysis has been regarding the change of contributor commission rates?  Has it driven new sales substantially?  Is management going to review its policy to see where the problems lie?  I can almost understand that if my number of sales goes up by 75%, then the $0.10 commission minimum is going to be worth it overall.  However, I am not seeing substantial increases in the number of sales.  I hope that at least the January 1 reset can be addressed and based on a rolling 12 month average, or levels grandfathered in for proven contributors.  Please respond in detail.

You will be waiting a long time for detail I'm afraid. Given the quality of your work and the huge number of files you have I hope you get the information you are looking for though I'm surprised you haven't gone already.  I would have thought you deserved better. I can tell you my earning are down almost 80% on June and the number of downloads is all but identical. Correctly, or incorrectly, I decided to give the new SS system a chance and not leave immediately but after 10 days of July it looks as if I was wrong to do so. There is no evidence that other types of sales are going to make up for the disaster of new subscription earnings. I will wait a little longer before deciding but things would want to improve fast.

33 minutes ago, lonndubh said:

You will be waiting a long time for detail I'm afraid. Given the quality of your work and the huge number of files you have I hope you get the information you are looking for though I'm surprised you haven't gone already.  I would have thought you deserved better. I can tell you my earning are down almost 80% on June and the number of downloads is all but identical. Correctly, or incorrectly, I decided to give the new SS system a chance and not leave immediately but after 10 days of July it looks as if I was wrong to do so. There is no evidence that other types of sales are going to make up for the disaster of new subscription earnings. I will wait a little longer before deciding but things would want to improve fast.

We can wait till the cows come home! It ain't gonna change nothing. SS took 60% more of our already miserable 25 and 33 and 38 cent pays and that's that. We can stay or move elsewhere. That's what it boils down to!

21 hours ago, Kathy Hutchins said:

hi.  just because i don't think the link to id worked.  @Kate Shutterstock this was addressed to you

1 hour ago, TheGlowingCarrot said:

July: 30 sales worth total 7.33$.... lvl3... funny... 

Lucky you!! That's about 24 cents average. You beat me hands down. Mine comes to 18 cents after a monsterous (!) $1.82 yesterday! Time to celebrate!? I am now so close to level 4. Just can't wait! So that I will continue to get the 10 cent sales! So much looking forward to it!

My intention was to start topic One month latter, but I got no will, I must admit I was wrong, thought situation will lest for one month untill someone see it is not ok, but no, I got no will to activate account again, I got no will to upload, got no will to work, what I was most disappointed is I was expected someone we know, Kate Shutterstock, Ana Shuttrstock to come in front of people and say ... just anything ... covid19, stock exchange, crysis, we must, we thought... but ... nothing, really stupid situation.

3 hours ago, miliusx said:

My intention was to start topic One month latter, but I got no will, I must admit I was wrong, thought situation will lest for one month untill someone see it is not ok, but no, I got no will to activate account again, I got no will to upload, got no will to work, what I was most disappointed is I was expected someone we know, Kate Shutterstock, Ana Shuttrstock to come in front of people and say ... just anything ... covid19, stock exchange, crysis, we must, we thought... but ... nothing, really stupid situation.

That is exactly what happen with COWARDS.

14 hours ago, miliusx said:

tells a lot doesn't it.....  

If you all keep your pictures on shutterstock, you are the first one who agreed with their new policy, so, why blame them. They just play their game. It's up to you to accept it or not.

July has been horrible on Shutterstock.  50% less than AdobeStock in sales.  I'm getting tired of all those $0.10 photo sales and $1.00 video sales on Shutterstock these days.  I think I'll have to turn off my portfolio if this low sales continue here.  I can't undercut myself on other sites like Pond5 and AdobeStock that pay decent money for sales.  Shutterstock is becoming iStock/Getty.  Big mistake for Shutterstock.  We'll see a massive exodus of contributors soon if Shutterstock doesn't stop those cheap disrespectful sales/commission.

The answer is, it's not working. Not only are the commissions low, but we are forced to absorb whatever discounts Shutterstock adds onto their prices. The video subscription plans result in insultingly low earnings. And even video cart sales are not right. Those should be easy enough to figure - a single HD clip sells for $79, a single SD clip for $65. How then do I get cart sales of $11.80 and 15.58 at video level 3 (25%)??

17 hours ago, blvdone said:

July has been horrible on Shutterstock.  50% less than AdobeStock in sales.  I'm getting tired of all those $0.10 photo sales and $1.00 video sales on Shutterstock these days.  I think I'll have to turn off my portfolio if this low sales continue here.  I can't undercut myself on other sites like Pond5 and AdobeStock that pay decent money for sales.  Shutterstock is becoming iStock/Getty.  Big mistake for Shutterstock.  We'll see a massive exodus of contributors soon if Shutterstock doesn't stop those cheap disrespectful sales/commission.

I fully agree. I think it was NOT really the month of June (!) that every contributor "sitting on the hedge" here waited for the results of to make a final decision. just too early. But July mixed with the usual slowness of the summer and the lack of interest for travel related photos now (Covid-19) will make many contributors realize that the 10 cents just don't add up! period. simple as that. I got 40 DLs in July in the total of 9 bucks?? I am not going to turn on my camera for that! let alone post-processing and so on. not even gonna mention the total craziness of rejections during review recently. 

One little clarification re. iStock (Getty): there are many negative opinions posted here about iStock and their awful 2 cent, 6 cent sales. And I am as much of the victim of those as others who still, or just used to upload to Getty. However!! My average pay per download there is still 40.5 cents! Here at SS it was 38 cents in June and an astonishing 22 cents in July! So you do the math! iS still pays me almost double (even with the occasional 2 cents!) of my July average here! Just to be clear. I much rather upload there (especially that they hardly ever reject any of my uploads) than here! I can't bring myself here to an upload in light of the mostly 10 cent DLs.