Milo J

Are the little agencies worth the time?

4 hours ago, Milleflore Images said:

Patrick, are you on NBN? Because before NBN, I couldn't upload video via Stocksubmitter either. The problem was at my end - my broadband was too slow.

Annie, I am on NBN. Previously, video uploads were always relatively quick via Stocksubmitter on NBN. Though I did notice something a bit different this time around. After the uploads reached 90%, I went away from the laptop temporarily and when I returned, it was back down to 0% and then increased again. That's never happened before. I wonder how many times it did that. 

1 hour ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Annie, I am on NBN. Previously, video uploads were always relatively quick via Stocksubmitter on NBN. Though I did notice something a bit different this time around. After the uploads reached 90%, I went away from the laptop temporarily and when I returned, it was back down to 0% and then increased again. That's never happened before. I wonder how many times it did that. 

Mmm. Sounds like its timing out. I used to get something similar before I went onto NBN, but if you're already on it, then maybe its something else? Your operating system?

What upload speeds are you getting with videos? Next time I upload some clips, I'll send you a pm and let you know what mine are so we can compare. Also, file sizes as well. Although some of mine are very large (using prores) and I don't have any problems. (Its financial year end so I am not around very much at the moment, but I will see what I can do.)

Also perhaps write to them. Dimitri is always very helpful and prompt with his responses.

Unless, Linda knows what else it could be?

3 hours ago, Milleflore Images said:

Mmm. Sounds like its timing out. I used to get something similar before I went onto NBN, but if you're already on it, then maybe its something else? Your operating system?

What upload speeds are you getting with videos? Next time I upload some clips, I'll send you a pm and let you know what mine are so we can compare. Also, file sizes as well. Although some of mine are very large (using prores) and I don't have any problems. (Its financial year end so I am not around very much at the moment, but I will see what I can do.)

Also perhaps write to them. Dimitri is always very helpful and prompt with his responses.

Unless, Linda knows what else it could be?

No, I can't think of anything that you haven't already suggested. 
I took some footage yesterday so hopefully I will edit and upload it in the next few days. I'll let you know Patrick if I'm having any problems which might help narrow down whether it is a Stocksubmitter problem or more local.

Thanks a lot for your kind words, Annie and Rudy.

I'm not entirely innocent. I guess I was a little too cynical in one of my comments. However, from my point of view, it was much less violent than many other comments that were posted in the forum in the past weeks. Anyway: It is shutterstock's forum and I have to accept their decisions.

Let's see when they release geogif back into the wild.

Annie,

your pie charts are very interesting. And they clearly show a fact: We Central Europeans were obviously very much preferred in Fotolia times. And we were aware that we had it easier as Germans, Austrians or Swiss than other - international - contributors. Perhaps simply because the majority of buyers came from this area in the earlier days. But I never thought that the differences were so great.

In my case, Fotolia/AS income amounts to 85.3% compared to shutterstock. When I look at the ratio in your pie chart, I really realize how advantaged we were. However, my figures are a bit distorted, because I've been with Fotolia/AS for 11 years and with shutterstock for only 9.5.
If my income at shutterstock develops as it has since the beginning of July, it's only a matter of time before the ratio reverses and shutterstock slides down.
My July RPD is as low as never before so far and dramatically lower than at any other agency. Without the lowered commissions reaching the buyers. It's all about money that ends up in shutterstock's pockets. So it has nothing to do with changes in the market, which we were told was the reason for the new revenue structure.

iS is 25.8% compared to shutterstock. I have been there for 7.5 years.

By the way:
At Alamy I have a good 120 images. A few of them for over 3 years. I have uploaded images there that are doing well with other agencies. I just wanted to see if there was anything for me at the Alamy.
My total income there: 1 US$. I can't calculate that in percent - I have to use per mil. Why that does not work there, I cannot explain myself.

Steven,

as far as I know, Debbie has not been suspended.

Annie, I usually use the same laptop with Stocksubmitter and there has never been any drastic slowness in the past. It's running Windows 7 with 64 bit. Not exactly sure of my upload speeds with regards to videos. Is it possible to check that with Stocksubmitter? Good point about file size. It is even more surprising that my vids were so slow to upload considering that they were HD with the h264 codec so pretty small. And oh yea I'll definitely contact them about this issue. 

Linda, I look forward to hearing how you fare with your next uploads. I really have no idea if my issues are local or if there's been some change at Stocksubmitter.

And welcome back, Wil. I didn't even realise that you were banned! Actually, I'm really surprised that you were banned. Very puzzling. Anyhow, glad it was only temporary.

There have been some other long time forum members that were banned earlier on though I have no idea if that was temporary or permanent.

11 hours ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Linda, I look forward to hearing how you fare with your next uploads. I really have no idea if my issues are local or if there's been some change at Stocksubmitter.

Sorry Patrick, I don't think it's going to happen any time soon. I spent most of the day trying to edit the footage in software that wasn't willing to play. Davinci Resolve, which is normally fantastic, but keeps quiting on me and telling me my GPU is full or something, even though my task manager is telling me I'm only using a max of 2% while using DR. So I risk chucking the PC out the window if I carry on tomorrow. It's beyond me and I've done all I can to sort it out. I'm out of ideas for now. Need to leave it be until I get a second wind to face sorting it out. So sorry, but I wont be able to run any footage through Stocksubmitter for probably quite some time :( 

On 7/7/2020 at 11:57 AM, Shirley Cronin said:

For this reason I thought I would try wirestock for submitting to the smaller agencies, especially as DT has a $100 miniumum payout.

However, 3 weeks in to submitting a test batch of 40, they are still processing the images (as they do the keywording) and so nothing yet submitted to agencies.

Also a word of warning, once you upload to DT they dont let you delete the images for 6 months, you have to retain 80% of images. I think I found a workaround and just have them all unchecked for sales, but still it's a pain

I started uploading at wirestock last November, yes they are getting slower but I think a heap of folks have been uploading there. I have about 400 images on line there with 50 sales, getting very close to first payout. The DT payout minimum is a real pain, at the moment sitting on $85 there. Lots of folks ask them to reduce the payout limit but they don't want to listen. They must be sitting on $M on unpaid earnings

Up untill recently I only up loaded to Alamy and SS. I pulled my images off SS after the announcement of the new comp structure. At that time I had sold more dollars on Alamy but had a lot more sales on SS. One sale on Alamy equals 20 to 25 on SS. I have moved to Adobe and dream, Adobe is starting to sell like i did on SS and dream sales have been slow. About 6 months before the change I had really cranked up my efforts on SS that effort is now going to Adobe. One weird thing the images I had sold on SS and Adobe never sold on Alamy. They seem to hit different markets.

2 hours ago, Linda Bestwick said:

Sorry Patrick, I don't think it's going to happen any time soon. I spent most of the day trying to edit the footage in software that wasn't willing to play. Davinci Resolve, which is normally fantastic, but keeps quiting on me and telling me my GPU is full or something, even though my task manager is telling me I'm only using a max of 2% while using DR. So I risk chucking the PC out the window if I carry on tomorrow. It's beyond me and I've done all I can to sort it out. I'm out of ideas for now. Need to leave it be until I get a second wind to face sorting it out. So sorry, but I wont be able to run any footage through Stocksubmitter for probably quite some time :( 

Linda, sorry to hear about the computer issues. I can relate. I have plenty of those kinds of issues of my own. My pc is probably over 10 years old and I'm surprised it's still going. Ive never used Resolve before. I did consider it but found out that it requires a huge amount of RAM to run (which my pc doesn't have.) Then later, someone reckoned that for my uses (stock footage clips) I wouldn't really need to utilise all that much RAM anyway. So I went ahead and downloaded it. But then discovered that there is no 32bit version available (only 64bit.) A family member has a laptop which uses 64bit - I might be able to install it on there and borrow it on occasions. 

16 hours ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Annie, I usually use the same laptop with Stocksubmitter and there has never been any drastic slowness in the past. It's running Windows 7 with 64 bit. Not exactly sure of my upload speeds with regards to videos. Is it possible to check that with Stocksubmitter? Good point about file size. It is even more surprising that my vids were so slow to upload considering that they were HD with the h264 codec so pretty small. And oh yea I'll definitely contact them about this issue. 

And welcome back, Wil. I didn't even realise that you were banned! Actually, I'm really surprised that you were banned. Very puzzling. Anyhow, glad it was only temporary.

There have been some other long time forum members that were banned earlier on though I have no idea if that was temporary or permanent.

Patrick, I think the problem is with your laptop. Not enough oomph in it. 

Yes, Stocksubmitter shows your speed when its uploading the file in Kb/s, also you can check it with other ftp uploaders such as FileZilla. 

Another way to check your speed is through Ookla.

I just checked my PC and my upload speed is currently 37.09 mbps. That's good for NBN.

Here is the site:

https://www.speedtest.net/

If you cannot upgrade your pc or go to Windows 10, then perhaps write to Stocksubmitter and tell them the problem. They MAY be able to give you some extended time for uploading videos, rather than having them time out. Not sure if they can or not - but worth a try. 

Before I went onto NBN, I used to be able to upload videos via FileZilla (although it took ages) but they always timed out with Stocksubmitter, so I am thinking they might have some restrictions on timing.

Let us know how you go!

PS. I found some videos on my harddrive that I hadn't uploaded to some sites and now running them through Stocksubmitter, and they are going through OK.

I am getting around 1mb/s for 2 agencies each running simultaneously. You won't get what the Ookla  speed test says I have found, because the further one lives away from the agency, the slower it gets. One of the disadvantages of living in South Australia. 😞 But you and I should get similar, all other things being equal. 

9 minutes ago, Milleflore Images said:

Patrick, I think the problem is with your laptop. Not enough oomph in it. 

I don't think that would be the issue. Like I mentioned before, I have used the very same laptop with Stocksubmitter many times in the past for uploading videos and it has always been relatively decent in terms of speed. Usually, it takes a few hours or several hours (sometimes less than that.) It has never taken a whole day or two days before. 

2 minutes ago, Patrick Cooper said:

I don't think that would be the issue. Like I mentioned before, I have used the very same laptop with Stocksubmitter many times in the past for uploading videos and it has always been relatively decent in terms of speed. Usually, it takes a few hours or several hours (sometimes less than that.) It has never taken a whole day or two days before. 

OK.

Well, one of the videos that I started uploading via StockSubmitter just before I wrote the above post has gone through. So no problems at this end. 

Hope you work it out. Good luck. Let us know. 🙂

Annie, that is pretty fast (for your latest video upload.)

I guess missing updates wouldn't be an issue since updates are made automatically when I start up the program. I don't bother with the automatic backups since my files are only temporarily stored on the laptop (it's a borrowed laptop.) Though I doubt that would cause speed issues.

I'll ask the team behind the program. 

Thanks again. I'll do the speed test the next time I have access to the laptop. By the way, I don't think I know Dimitri. I note when people ask about Stocksubmitter on the microstock forum, it's usually Niakris who answers. He seems to be part of the team behind the program. 

Annie, I did the internet speed test on my pc. The upload speed is 0.98Mbps. I suspect it may be a bit faster with the laptop because the modem is closer to it and considerably further away from my pc and also on another level (downstairs / upstairs.)

I should be able to check the laptop's upload speed tomorrow.

21 hours ago, Tawrat Ferdousi Branding said:

But for beginners is it worth it?

Stocksubmitter? Its about diversity and uploading all your files to multiple agencies with ease. It also keeps records of what files went where, so less confusion and mixups, and also has a very good keywording tool. You can use the free version with limited submissions (33 per month). That's how I started using it about 4 or 5 years ago. Or you can just use it for free to upload as many files as you want, and do the submissions manually yourself. Its the submissions that you are paying for when you purchase one of their packages.

I noticed that author Steve Heap wrote about it in his quarterly report. See here under Value of Diversity:

https://backyardsilver.com/quarterly-review-of-stock-photo-earnings/

I hope this helps, Tawrat 🙂

Cheers

Annie

23 hours ago, Tawrat Ferdousi Branding said:

But for beginners is it worth it?

I'm guessing the question has more to do with whether it's worth it to upload to the new agencies vs what uploader to use. It really depends IMO how commercially viable ones images are. Some people do very well on iStock. I never did. But I'm doing much better on DreamsTime than I was when I first started there. I'm starting to make payout after only 2 months there vs the 6-12 months it used to take (since they have a minimum payout of $100). I only submit to a handful of agencies and while some don't pay much, it adds up to the total bottom line IMO. Since my keywords are already embedded in the images, it's not that much work to upload so IMO, it's worth it. But you really need to decide if it's worth it for you.If you're not making payout routinely here, it's not likely you'll make payout routinely there either since they generate significantly fewer downloads. JMO of course.

1 hour ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

But I'm doing much better on DreamsTime than I was when I first started there. I'm starting to make payout after only 2 months there vs the 6-12 months it used to take (since they have a minimum payout of $100).

I also have a port on Dreamstime. Every little sale helps. Though I'm always puzzled why there are some people who choose to be exclusive to DT. An agency that is well known for very slow and irregular sales. I mean what are these people thinking?? It defies logic.

I am with SS and DT with the same small portfolio from about 10 years. My total income at SS is three time higher the at DT. The sales number at SS was ten times higher than DT. 

But now, in the first 10 days of July, I had 13 sales at SS (1.5$), and 2 sales at DT(2.7$).

Also if the sales numbers will not change the revenues surely will change. 

On 7/8/2020 at 1:34 AM, Steven Tritton said:

Yes curious now if this was voluntary withdrawal from the forum or suspension given Wilm and Geo.

She was so active that I can’t think it’s voluntary ...! 😏

17 minutes ago, Baldas1950 said:

But now, in the first 10 days of July, I had 13 sales at SS (1.5$), and 2 sales at DT(2.7$).

Yes, Shutterstock have always been an exellent marketer. Without doubt the best on microstock. But with the new fees it’s maybe not the best for contributors anymore. Many sales but small income (for most I think) so you have to have a lot of sales here now to match a few sales at some of the others. Interesting if they will follow the plunge.