Milo J

Are the little agencies worth the time?

I would like to hear from people who have the same number of images both here as well as DT / DP. How do sales stack up?

I can't tell, because my port at DT is tiny, so of course I'm not making any money. But it seems that my latest uploads have gone largely unnoticed, and I'm wondering if it's worth the effort to throw more assets at it.

Started both DT and SS in February 2019. Have a total of 1665 assets on SS and up until a few weeks ago had about 550 on DT which has now grown to 1021 (no videos). Lifetime earnings on DT is $20.41 whereas I just broke four figures here on SS last month. Hope this provides a little useful data.

For this reason I thought I would try wirestock for submitting to the smaller agencies, especially as DT has a $100 miniumum payout.

However, 3 weeks in to submitting a test batch of 40, they are still processing the images (as they do the keywording) and so nothing yet submitted to agencies.

Also a word of warning, once you upload to DT they dont let you delete the images for 6 months, you have to retain 80% of images. I think I found a workaround and just have them all unchecked for sales, but still it's a pain

1 hour ago, Steven Tritton said:

Lifetime earnings on DT is $20.41 whereas I just broke four figures here on SS last month. Hope this provides a little useful data.

Ouch. Yes it does.

Milo,

I started submitting to both SS & DT over 10 years.  For a number of reasons, I have approximately 1/3 less images at DT than at SS.  DT has not performed any where near as well as SS over the years but recently sales have increased substantially.  Admittedly, my images have had a number of years to move up in the Algorithm, but I think it might be worth your while to upload there.   

While you never know what the results of a law suits will be, it appears that DT suit against Goggle has a lot of merit and if won, should help their sales, IMO.      

4 hours ago, Milo J said:

I would like to hear from people who have the same number of images both here as well as DT / DP. How do sales stack up?

I can't tell, because my port at DT is tiny, so of course I'm not making any money. But it seems that my latest uploads have gone largely unnoticed, and I'm wondering if it's worth the effort to throw more assets at it.

My port at DT is larger than the one at SS (by about 20%) and has been up longer by about 6 month, yet brought in less than 20% of the SS pay. And just about 1/2 of my iS total, where I have a smaller port (say about half). That tells you something I suppose. Too bad cuz for all other reasons I like DT. Easiest and fast to get reviewed and accepted, though very slow uploading. Conclusion!? If it takes you only an extra minute to drop it in at DT (while uploading to other sites), by all means. but based on what I have seen, the "buying traffic" there is (was!) nowhere near to the SS action. But it may change now. Who knows.  

IMO the small agencies aren't worth it if you are going to upload to them directly. However if you use a submitting tool like Stocksubmitter it's a no brainer as there is almost zero extra effort. Together the little agencies bring in some welcome income, all be it a lot less than SS.

I find them worth the time.  Income is slow, but adds up over time.  Also, I have more confidence in the safety of my images, and the correctness of my royalties, with most smaller agencies. (not TOO small)

Hi Milo,

after 9.5 years at shutterstock I can tell you my personal percentages of the small agencies compared to shutterstock:

- 123rf = 17.3% (since 10 years)
- DT = 8.4% (since 10 years)
- DP = 5.4% (since 7.5 years)
- CS = 3.9% (since 7.5 years)

The size of my portfolio is nearly the same at those agencies.

- BS = 2.6% (for 9 years)
But at Bigstock I only have 800 images online and have uploaded nothing for many years. There I wait for the last payout and will delete everything there.

Thank you Wilm for these numbers. They confirmed my gut feeling.

And welcome back, btw. I couldn't believe they banned you, that was ridiculous.

6 hours ago, Linda Bestwick said:

IMO the small agencies aren't worth it if you are going to upload to them directly. However if you use a submitting tool like Stocksubmitter it's a no brainer as there is almost zero extra effort.

Thanks, Linda. I've been thinking about using Stocksubmitter for that purpose, at least to the extent of the 30 free pics a month. But so far, have not been able to get past the clunky interface of the software.

22 minutes ago, Milo J said:

Thanks, Milo.

I didn't really understand the banishment exactly.

I'm supposed to say hi to everyone at geogif, too. He doesn't know when he'll be allowed to visit the forum again.

Shutterstock beat them all for last 14 years that I started.  SS 5 figures,  DT 4 figures.  the other 8 I have tried, less than 1,000 in 8-14 years.

Not worth it with the tiny guys, unless maybe get it so it takes less than a 5 minutes of your time to upload and submit a dozen images. and don't dilly dally around.

- Dan

1 hour ago, Milo J said:

Thanks, Linda. I've been thinking about using Stocksubmitter for that purpose, at least to the extent of the 30 free pics a month. But so far, have not been able to get past the clunky interface of the software.

I haven't used Stocksubmitter in a while but when I used it just recently, it was incredibly slow. It took two days just to upload four HD videos. Something really strange is going on. 

7 hours ago, Linda Bestwick said:

However if you use a submitting tool like Stocksubmitter

Wonder how Stocksubmitter can deal with all the captions and keywords of different agencies - especially iStock/Getty ... 🤔 Programmers must be geniusses.

15 hours ago, Milo J said:

Why did you get 2 downvotes for this? Am I missing something?

As above if the keywords are already added (I don't use stock submitter - then yes, but on some you need to tweak the keywords or add another description, which can be a pain, bu they do help boost the income - especially now SS are paying so poorly.

6 hours ago, Milo J said:

Like anything it's a learning curve, but it's quite straight froward once you get the hang of it. Happy to help out if you have questions, just shout out.

5 hours ago, oleschwander said:

Wonder how Stocksubmitter can deal with all the captions and keywords of different agencies - especially iStock/Getty ... 🤔 Programmers must be geniusses.

You set them all up for each agency. So for some you flip the title for description etc. Then of course you can change things and submit to individual agencys if you want to as well.
They don't support submissions to IS/Getty, IS will only take submissions from their approved uploaders Deepmeta and the other place that I can't think of right now!

17 hours ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

Thanks, Milo.

I'm supposed to say hi to everyone at geogif, too. He doesn't know when he'll be allowed to visit the forum again.

Yes, welcome back Wilm. You're one of the nicest and most polite people on the forum. I didn't understand it either. I will miss Geo, he always has some thoughtful posts and interesting takes on what's happening.

Here are my stats - graphs below. Interestingly, my DT sales for June went right up - 42% increase compared to their average monthly sales for this year.  

I stopped uploading to SS and BS in June. If you compare June sales to total sales this calendar year, SS's % of total income has dropped considerably. It is only one month, but its worth noting to see if it continues. 

P5 was up, but AS was down. I even sold some photos on P5 as well in June. 

I agree with Linda, Stocksubmitter is the way to go. 

Since 2014, I have always put all my files up on 8 to 10 agencies. It can double your income from SS as well as its important to never rely on just one or two agencies. As we've seen in the past few years, agency managements, ownerships and policies can change dramatically, and we should never put all our eggs in one basket.

@Patrick Cooper Patrick, are you on NBN? Because before NBN, I couldn't upload video via Stocksubmitter either. The problem was at my end - my broadband was too slow.

Graphs2.jpg

8 hours ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

Can't believe they put you (YOU from all people) in time out! The world has truly gone mad! 

6 minutes ago, Steven Tritton said:

I notice Studio2 (Debbie?) has gone MIA? Anyone know?

Sorry she doesn't keep me updated about here whereabouts, but she is probably the smart one!