Sign in to follow this  
JN STUDIO

Microstock business post pandemic

Impossible to tell without knowing the future and how sales will  be once the world actually reaches post-pandemic state.

My overall sales are pretty normal, we are moving into summer anyway.

In terms of downloads, my sales are holding up very well. I'm actually a little surprised as I expected the pandemic induced economic slowdown to have a substantial negative effect and especially as many of my photos are travel related.

My download numbers are holding up. But one thing I've noticed when using the keyword tool is that people are mainly using covid related keywords in their new images to 'try' to make them relevant.

Example, I had some shots from Leicester Square, London so I searched for keywords using the tool and around 90% of suggestions were things like "pandemic, covid, virus" and the photos selected had nothing to do with it covid, maybe just very few people on the street. The pandemic theme has been spammed to death (pun not intended) both in keywords and images. 

9 hours ago, Firn said:

Impossible to tell without knowing the future and how sales will  be once the world actually reaches post-pandemic state.

Yeah--we're still IN the pandemic.

My microstock business has held flat, no change, the pandemic hasn't affected it one way or the other.

Depends on pictures, as many countries facing lockdown many companies, micro or large scale companies are shut or working from home, travel transportation and travel industry/Food industry/fashion  totally ruined thus pictures related to travel or these category are less downloaded as compared to earlier. 

14 hours ago, jai7678 said:

Is it me or has the microstock business saleswise gone down post pandemic?

Post pandemic?? Over here, things are far from over, and are in fact getting worse again.

23 minutes ago, Steven Tritton said:

Where are you Milo? In the US?

Yes, California. Cases are going through the roof in the South and West.

3 hours ago, Milo J said:

Post pandemic?? Over here, things are far from over, and are in fact getting worse again.

COVID19 is just one of the mutations of coronavirus which is quite common since forever. It was often referred as "common cold". It circulates between people freely and number of infected is in most cases proportional to number of tests conducted. So, nothing is "worse" or "better" now or ever until we develop herd immunity, then the virus will mutate once again to COVID20. So tehnically this could last forever until we accept this as a normal condition and stop conducting tests. Then and only then so called pandemic will be over. 

OT:
SS - sales gone down rapidly
AS - slightly upward trend
DT - worse than before
DP - actually pretty good, i see potential there
Alamy, P5, - no change but i sell next to nothing there anyways
123RF - new there so too early to say

8 hours ago, Svarun said:

COVID19 is just one of the mutations of coronavirus which is quite common since forever. It was often referred as "common cold". It circulates between people freely and number of infected is in most cases proportional to number of tests conducted. So, nothing is "worse" or "better" now or ever until we develop herd immunity, then the virus will mutate once again to COVID20. So tehnically this could last forever until we accept this as a normal condition and stop conducting tests. Then and only then so called pandemic will be over. 

Covid19 is not the Common cold and by now it is confirmed that herd immunity will not be possible as new studies show that more than 90% of infected people showed steep declines in levels of SARS-COV-2–specific immunoglobulin G antibodies within 2 to 3 months after infection. It was even worse In the asymptomatic group tested: There 40% did not have any antibodies at all anymore after just 8 weeks.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0965-6
(By the way- Even IF you were right and it was just a form of the common cold: You do realize that there is also no herd immunity against that, right? So your theories are contradicting.)

BLEIVE IN SIENCE! NOT IN COSPIRACIES!

4 hours ago, Firn said:

Covid19 is not the Common cold and by now it is confirmed that herd immunity will not be possible as new studies show that more than 90% of infected people showed steep declines in levels of SARS-COV-2–specific immunoglobulin G antibodies within 2 to 3 months after infection. It was even worse In the asymptomatic group tested: There 40% did not have any antibodies at all anymore after just 8 weeks.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0965-6
(By the way- Even IF you were right and it was just a form of the common cold: You do realize that there is also no herd immunity against that, right? So your theories are contradicting.)

BLEIVE IN SIENCE! NOT IN COSPIRACIES!

He did not say Covid19 was the common cold he said it was a form of the corona virus and that corona viruses have been around a long long time.  The majority of corona viruses in the majority of people are indistinguishable from the common cold and people will refer to their infection as the common cold.  The way herd immunity works with them is although the antibodies do not last very long the basic template is retained and future infections fought off easily and with minimal symptoms - ie "common cold" symptoms.  SARS and MERS were also corona viruses - they have not disappeared but hardly anyone notices if they catch them these day.  Corona viruses generally mutate into milder forms - and the likelihood is that Covid19 will do the same and in a couple of years although people will still catch it - and a small number of elderly or otherwise ill people die it will not be noticed (and such deaths likely be put down to either age, a pre existing condition or flu because most deaths marked as flu are not tested for the influenza virus)

In the meantime regards "increasing numbers" it is important to try and filter out the effect of increased testing in causing those increasing numbers - Leicester in the UK has been locked down again because of increasing number when 7 out of the local 8 testing centres have only just opened since the start of this increase.  If death rates (all causes not those marked as Covid19) are at or below the average for the past 5 or 10  or however many years then this epidemic/pandemic is passing.  Again in the UK all causes mortality is now below average.  Not sure of other areas but my advice is instead of looking for headline figures about Covid19 see how many people are dying each day of everything and how many people died of everything each day in the past.

On 7/5/2020 at 12:37 PM, Starsphinx said:

He did not say Covid19 was the common cold he said it was a form of the corona virus and that corona viruses have been around a long long time.  The majority of corona viruses in the majority of people are indistinguishable from the common cold and people will refer to their infection as the common cold.  

Exactly, thank you.