Thanos FLOROS

Contributor with no sales, please review

Greetings everyone. I am a new and enthusiastic contributor but I have no sales! I believe that several of my photos are very good but noone seems to care. Could you give me some advice on what I can do to promote better my portfolio and get many sales?

http://www.shutterstock.com/g/Thanos+FLOROS

On 7/3/2020 at 10:05 PM, Thanos FLOROS said:

Greetings everyone. I am a new and enthusiastic contributor but I have no sales! I believe that several of my photos are very good but noone seems to care. Could you give me some advice on what I can do to promote better my portfolio and get many sales?

http://www.shutterstock.com/g/Thanos+FLOROS

Some of your images appear very dull, dark without vibrance for marketing department for a company selling ads for Koh Samui...Think about that for second, you are trying to sell images to advertisers, marketers and professionals. Here is your competition my man, take a look - never forget that you are COMPETING with these images. And straighten your horizons, Jesus.

https://www.shutterstock.com/search/koh+samui?image_type=photo

aaathailand.jpg

in addition to all the above, you then need people to find what they are looking for by properly describing it

Beautiful beach in Ko Samui, Thailand

where is the beach?   i see green foliage, a boat, islands in gulf of Thailand, but i don't see a beach 

53 minutes ago, jean-francois me said:

in addition to all the above, you then need people to find what they are looking for by properly describing it

where is the beach?   i see green foliage, a boat, islands in gulf of Thailand, but i don't see a beach 

and it's not even Ko Samui, but Ang Thong NP...

I like this one, I think it should sell.  

Seitan Limani, magnificent beach in Chania, Greece, the island of Crete

Your keyword list does not include "Seitan Limani", "Chania", "Greece" or "Crete".  Including these words in the keyword section in addition to the title will help with your search placement and hopefully a buyer will find it.  

Yes you have to be patient and don't expect to eat more than a few cents at first. I sold my first images a short time ago but I know that I still have to considerably increase my collection!

You've got too small a portfolio, so don't expect too much, really. You have to spend more time post processing your images. They looked flat generally, some have blown out skies, etc. Before you upload, do a search of similar photos and ask yourself: Why would anyone choose yours over the others? Many people make the mistake of thinking they take good pictures (or they think they take good pictures) and so they should make money on stock sites. Nothing is further from the truth.

On 7/3/2020 at 3:05 PM, Thanos FLOROS said:

I believe that several of my photos are very good but noone seems to care

Great advice from @OceanicWanderer , @David A. Litman, @jean-francois me and all other posters in the thread. You need to work on the post processing to make the images POP. As they are, mostly underexposed or on the dull side, I do not anticipate many sales (if any at all). Look at the competition, rethink your beliefs and learn to post process for stock. Then upload many many more. Victim ("noone cares about me") mindset will get you nowhere.

On 7/7/2020 at 3:11 AM, Svarun said:

Upload 10 000 more of those.

Upload 100 000 more but with better post processing, use lightroom, create better filter and think about who will buy your photos, YOU NEED TO KNOW YOUR CUSTOMERS, there are millions of photos like yours and really better quality, good luck, its a competition, you need to improve your art

9 hours ago, David A. Litman said:

I like this one, I think it should sell.  

Your keyword list does not include "Seitan Limani", "Chania", "Greece" or "Crete".  Including these words in the keyword section in addition to the title will help with your search placement and hopefully a buyer will find it.  

Wrong title " Overhead view of an unidentified group of people bathing in the magnificent little white sandy beach with crystal clear water of Chania located in Seitan Limani in Crete "

Jose, are you an SS employee or are you just very loyal to them?

4 hours ago, Jose HERNANDEZ Camera 51 said:

Out of subject matter, don't motivate someone asking for help, reported

spam, one combined post would have made your point

1. With only 48 photos, you might sell one every few months or so.
  2. Most of your photos appear to be travel related. Not many buyers for travel photos right now. Try other subjects.
  3. You have a few good photos, buy most of them aren't visually appealing. Take a look at what is already available to compare.
  4. Your titles and keywords need work.

Once you fix the above, and upload a thousand photos, you might start making regular sales.

23 minutes ago, stockphotofan1 said:

Wrong. Made more in June than May. Don't assume.

I did too surprisingly.. but first 10 days in July.... 90% down on average for any month since I joined in October 2008... and that is crazy. 

20 hours ago, Doug McLean said:
  1. With only 48 photos, you might sell one every few months or so.
  2. Most of your photos appear to be travel related. Not many buyers for travel photos right now. Try other subjects.
  3. You have a few good photos, buy most of them aren't visually appealing. Take a look at what is already available to compare.
  4. Your titles and keywords need work.

Once you fix the above, and upload a thousand photos, you might start making regular sales.

All of the above... 

And for travel.... I have NEVER seen a travel related photo in print or online with clouds skies. Swap out the clouds for a blue sky. 

I thought this was unethical until in about 2005, I read a UK Photo magazine a with an award winning photographer... to make it short... he basically swapped out all his skies for stunning shots of sunset. I was SHOCKED!  With out the photoshopped skies, his photos were average... and so it is even more so today.

I have a lot of great sunset and cloud photos... but never thought of doing that... just seems dishonest, but it is NORMAL...and has been for 15+ years. 

1 hour ago, Keith Tarrier said:

And for travel.... I have NEVER seen a travel related photo in print or online with clouds skies. Swap out the clouds for a blue sky. 

???

https://www.google.com/search?q=travel+photos+landscapes&sxsrf=ALeKk00erS8-dBHSvguXvZr4LkfHkVchqg:1594392793999&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjVivmA-MLqAhXuy6YKHV2cDKUQ_AUoAXoECA4QAw&biw=1456&bih=902

1 hour ago, Keith Tarrier said:

I did too surprisingly.. but first 10 days in July.... 90% down on average for any month since I joined in October 2008... and that is crazy. 

All of the above... 

I thought this was unethical until in about 2005, I read a UK Photo magazine a with an award winning photographer... to make it short... he basically swapped out all his skies for stunning shots of sunset. I was SHOCKED!  With out the photoshopped skies, his photos were average... and so it is even more so today.

I have a lot of great sunset and cloud photos... but never thought of doing that... just seems dishonest, but it is NORMAL...and has been for 15+ years. 

When taking travel photos - actually any photo where the sky might feature - I pay particular attention to it. Clouds are okay depending on how they look but what you need to avoid is a featureless washed out look. This, for example, has sold well:

image.png.fdf5e7bd5e2a23ead9d9c30224ff32ad.png

Of course, you can't always control it and especially if you are in a place for a day and not going back. For me, the problem with swapping out the sky is that, very often, the lighting in the rest of the photo just feels wrong. So I have done it very rarely. If I don't like the sky I would rather play with the composition and try to minimize how much sky there is in the shot.

All of the above and remember this is a marathon and not  sprint.

Remember that the photos might be used for various things, like ads, so remember to have at least some photos that have room for copy (might be less of an issue for something that's editorial. and even a photo with  little space for copy might be useful in a calendar or something).

As mentioned above, it's a combination of numbers (maybe not 10,000 photos, but more than 48. A port of, say 600 can give a steady if small number of sale a month. How many dpends on 1) the quality of the photos and 2) what people are looking for - though other variables are important as well (keywording, etc). Another similarly sized port might give many more sales if the quality is good (and matches what people are looking for, and the descriptions and keywords are good).  A port of 6,000 or 60,000 would give proportionally more sales.

A small percentage of your port will give most of your sales (I think the numbers I've seen is that 20 % of a port will give 80% of sales), and remember that  photo might be up for a year or more before it sells. I've also seen people reporting a photo selling within 24 hours of approval as well!

An old time member (who, from what I understand is no longer here on shutterstock, or at least in the forums) would often give the advice of shoot things that are unique to where you live/visit. You might have 2 photos of something up on shutterstock, but they're less likely to be sold if they're 2 of 1,000,000 photos on the site than if they're 2 of 100 photos of the same subject.

That's true! Post photography services are also very important to make an image sell. There are plenty of free tools available for keywording; however, none of them follows any particular stock photography standards. Any suggestion on any good partner to be hired for this service or other post production services.

On 7/3/2020 at 2:05 PM, Thanos FLOROS said:

I think it should sell.