Brian Kapp

Help on rejection of this one...

If anyone would care to evaluate this.

First submission rejection: Editorial Designation: This content can only be accepted for editorial use. Please select the "Editorial" button before submitting.

The people have their back to the camera? What else is required? (Not that it would be some blockbuster image as Commercial. I just need to understand.)

Second submission, as Editorial, rejection reasons:

Noise / Artifacts: Content contains noise, film grain, compression artifacts, pixelation, and/or posterization that detracts from the main subject.

Focus: The main subject is out of focus or is not in focus due to camera shake, motion blur, overuse of noise reduction, or technical limitations of the equipment used (e.g. autofocus searching, camera sensor quality, etc).

If it matters, shot at 1/1000, F 2.8, ISO 100.  Except for cropping the original, no post processing.

No problem saying I have a lot to learn. Do you see those issues with the image?

Thank you.

DSC_3602S.jpg

Editorial because of the Nike shoes.

The noise isn't that bad (seen worse) but it is there. Focus is more of an issue imo, the whole image is soft when viewed at full size. I also see chromatic aberation especially noticeable in the leaves on the right hand side, and your sky is blown out.

Not sure that's what you want to hear, but as you asked ;)

If you fixed the CA and downsided it you might squeeze it though, but especially as editorial but I'm not sure it's worth the effort. A good image of an older couple like this could have commercial value so might be worth shooting again with the issues sorted out. 

2 hours ago, Brian Kapp said:

shot at 1/1000, F 2.8, ISO 100.

That's your problem right there as far as the focus goes. f/2.8 will give you a very shallow depth of field, and it is not called for in this situation. You don't need a Shutter speed of 1/1000 to capture two people sitting on a bench (1/200 or even 1/100 would be plenty), so close down your aperture to 5.6 or 8 and a lot more of the frame will be in focus..

Thre are some problems as mentioned before. But I also think SS is using some kind if AI in the initial process which often mean problems with water, grass and foliage. And you have all three of them here ...! 😵

Another reason that the photo might have been considered editorial rather than commercial is that the people are potentially identifiable even though we don’t see their faces. You don’t mention anything about having a model release.

I addressed everything mentioned, adjusting sharpness, chromatic aberration, removing what was on the back of the lady's shirt, and submitted again as Editorial as I do not have a release.

It was accepted, thank you all again!