Sign in to follow this  
Stock Ninja Studio

Share Your June RPD

I worked out my RPD this morning for SS. I wanted to compare June this year against June last year, and also against the rest of this year. For me it is about seeing how well or badly earnings have changed at SS, not across the board. 
So for me:
June 2020 = $0.78
June 2019 = $0.47
Jan to May 2020 = $0.65

I am getting lots of $0.10 sales like everyone else, I'm on level 5, but the over all picture for me is an improvement, not a decline. Of course it is still early days. One month in, no real conclusions can be drawn imo. 

For any newbies who are wondering about RPD this is the average amount earned per image that is downloaded. It doesn't depend on how many downloads you have had, so if sales drop that wont interfere with this stat. To work it out, look on your earnings page for the amount of money you earned for June (or whatever period of time you want to calculate) and divide that by the amount of downloads you had over the same period of time. This gives you the average amount you earned for each image.

I quickly checked my RPD for AS in June and it's $1.14, which is better than SS but I still have more money in my pocket from SS at the end of the month. 

Sorry if i come across condescending or obnoxious... which i absolutely has no such intention. But I am rather keen to know the point/s of sharing RPD with others...?

To me, personally, RPD is for evalution on one's own portfolio development.

I believe sharing the RPD is no harm, but it also means it could just be as useful as sharing BME with others. It won't be a clear indication on how well we do collectively. Some contributors got BME every other month when their sales jump from $10 to $12 to $15. Not to say it's not an achievement for oneself to keep seeing his/her own portfolio grow and gain momentum...

Just can't see the point of sharing but to each his own.

1 hour ago, chyworks said:

I agree,

RPD on its own doesn't tell much about performance, I can't buy anything with RPD. Besides, you can have a high RPD from just one image sale (Alamy).

Also, calculating RPD image + video makes no sense.

As the great majority of my sales are subs, my revenue per sub has halved ($0.19) in June compared to before (Level 4 now and $0.38/sub before). ODDs are on a par with the old $2.85. I'm dependent on SODs and ELs to make up the loss in subs and therein lies the problem; they can vary enormously from month to month. This month (June) I got lucky with an EL and SOD but it's now a game of chance rather than a business more than ever before.

2 hours ago, chyworks said:

Sorry if i come across condescending or obnoxious... which i absolutely has no such intention. But I am rather keen to know the point/s of sharing RPD with others...?

To me, personally, RPD is for evalution on one's own portfolio development.

I believe sharing the RPD is no harm, but it also means it could just be as useful as sharing BME with others. It won't be a clear indication on how well we do collectively. Some contributors got BME every other month when their sales jump from $10 to $12 to $15. Not to say it's not an achievement for oneself to keep seeing his/her own portfolio grow and gain momentum...

I agree there is no point in comparing RPD as some sort of marker for success between different contributors. And just sharing Junes RPD is meaningless (imo) for anyone. But I do think it is indicative of how impactful the new earnings structure is really having on us if we compare June's RPD with previous months.  As individuals we can all see whether our RPD has gone up, down or stayed the same. Sharing that info could show any bias towards one or the other. I have seen things improve, that doesn't mean it's the normal trend, and doesn't mean it will stay that way for me. But I find it interesting that my RPD has gone up even though I have been getting many 10c subs.
I don't think the amount of the RPD is important in this instance, I think what is important is whether the RPD has gone up or down from previous months. If the majority of contributors see a rise that would show this earnings change is not as bad as we thought. If there's a decline then it shows it to be the disaster predicted.
Just the way I see it. But as I say I agree the figures are meaningless, it's just the outcome of whether the RPD has gone up, down or stayed the same that is helpful as I see it.

2 hours ago, Whiteaster said:

I agree,

RPD on its own doesn't tell much about performance, I can't buy anything with RPD. Besides, you can have a high RPD from just one image sale (Alamy).

Also, calculating RPD image + video makes no sense.

Agree the figures on their own are pointless. It's whether they have changed from previous months that is useful. Over time, more months, and especially some time after the reset, a clearer picture will emerge. My RPD was up this month, not what I was expecting when the changes first took place. I will check again monthly until at least spring 2021 to see the bigger picture. 
Personally I see little point in comparing RPD across the different agencies as regards the earning structure change here at SS. I want to see how the new system is effecting my earnings. I don't really care how they compare against each other. It's the money in my pocket that counts at the end of the day :) 

9 minutes ago, Linda Bestwick said:

it is indicative of how impactful the new earnings structure is really having on us if we compare June's RPD with previous months

Agree!

January 0.31

February 0.41

March 0.37

April 0.41

May 0.31

June 0.34... 

So RPD is more or less similar as before. As I had more download, I had more money... 

Still comparing the RPD for other agencies is kind pointless as we don't have the same number of images nor downloads. 

2 hours ago, stevemart said:

As the great majority of my sales are subs, my revenue per sub has halved ($0.19) in June compared to before (Level 4 now and $0.38/sub before). ODDs are on a par with the old $2.85. I'm dependent on SODs and ELs to make up the loss in subs and therein lies the problem; they can vary enormously from month to month. This month (June) I got lucky with an EL and SOD but it's now a game of chance rather than a business more than ever before.

I've always felt the microstock is akin to gambling, it's hoping to hit the jackpot that keeps me feeding the beast and taking the pennies while waiting to get lucky lol!

6 minutes ago, Linda Bestwick said:

I agree there is no point in comparing RPD as some sort of marker for success between different contributors. And just sharing Junes RPD is meaningless (imo) for anyone. But I do think it is indicative of how impactful the new earnings structure is really having on us if we compare June's RPD with previous months.  As individuals we can all see whether our RPD has gone up, down or stayed the same. Sharing that info could show any bias towards one or the other. I have seen things improve, that doesn't mean it's the normal trend, and doesn't mean it will stay that way for me. But I find it interesting that my RPD has gone up even though I have been getting many 10c subs.
I don't think the amount of the RPD is important in this instance, I think what is important is whether the RPD has gone up or down from previous months. If the majority of contributors see a rise that would show this earnings change is not as bad as we thought. If there's a decline then it shows it to be the disaster predicted.
Just the way I see it. But as I say I agree the figures are meaningless, it's just the outcome of whether the RPD has gone up, down or stayed the same that is helpful as I see it.

Thanks Linda, appreciate your point of view. To be able to see the impact, we will keep looking at it for a longer period of time and i really hope to be proven wrong or overly pessimistic upon the new earning system.

4 minutes ago, chyworks said:

Thanks Linda, appreciate your point of view. To be able to see the impact, we will keep looking at it for a longer period of time and i really hope to be proven wrong or overly pessimistic upon the new earning system.

Yeh, it's going to be a waiting game, I'm OK so far, but I have a horrid feeling that may change any second. I'm cautiously hopeful, but not holding my breath either!

32 minutes ago, Linda Bestwick said:

Personally I see little point in comparing RPD across the different agencies as regards the earning structure change here at SS. I want to see how the new system is effecting my earnings. I don't really care how they compare against each other. It's the money in my pocket that counts at the end of the day :) 

Same goes for me. Earning at SS is much like lottery now. Though you can reach a higher level much faster than with the old system, it's worth nothing money-wise. I have almost the same RPD as you, some even higher,  but still at level 4.

June 2020 = 0.70
June 2019 = 0.50 (0.4957)
Jan to May 2020 = 0.63
At AS in June = 1.37 but only 28% of SS earnings, that is why I said that RPD doesn't bring much happiness.

Even in January, earnings will depend just on luck. In two month I should get back to my present level but that is no guaranty for the same earnings.

I need more time and more data to decide for the future but for now I have no reason to complain, June sales are up a bit.

Short of giving out are actual numbers (downloads and earnings) I personally think RPD is a very helpful measurement in this situation, as it shows how the new pricing structure has impacted our average earnings per download.  I could be wrong but other than my actual decline in earnings, this calculation, will best help me determine whether it is worthwhile to continue uploading to Shutterstock.  Just another opinion.  This is just one month which is not that statistically important, so addition monthly figures are needed to show the real impact of the new pricing structure.  

June 2020  RPD .56

June 2019  RPD .99

AVG 2020 RPD through May 2020  .98

AVG RPD at AS for 2020 is 1.04

June 2020 earnings at AS was slightly less than SS earnings for June, however, I have approx. one-half the number of images there. 

RPD, or comparing this June to last June, or to anything else, is meaningless as a measure of impact. If you truly want to know, you have to sit down and do the math and look at June 2020 on its own merit.

This is what my stats look like comparing June to overall earnings. June doesn't seem too bad, right?

1241424791_ScreenShot2020-07-01at7_36_13AM.png.34d003c9c071b2733b0ae707a54e5248.png

Well, this is what it looks like after doing the math:

328094060_ScreenShot2020-07-01at8_12_10AM.png.97ef3afe03f0385db6abe6b2d36e13c8.png

29.3% earnings loss.

Milo,

Your, way is better, I'll admit, but that calculation, is a bit arduous, is it not.  In my situation, I received multiple payments from all possible categories Subs, ODs, ELs, and SOs and knowing what I "should have paid" seems to be way above my "pay grade".    I did however, do a calculation of the decline in the earnings from my subscription sales and those amounted to a decline of 45% in earnings.

Admittedly, my long term RPD average has been quite consistent so for me a decline from an avg, RPD of .98 to .56  (a 43% decline) seems to be meaningful.  Obviously, a calculation for one month proves very little but it seems an avg of your ongoing RPD for the next six months (or more) compared to your previous years RPD (or avg lifetime RPD) would have some value.  It's obvious that each portfolio is different (your portfolio is an excellent example) but I'm not convinced an RPD comparison (as stated above) is "meaningless".   Again, just another opinion.