Sign in to follow this  
Tawrat Ferdousi Branding

Adobe Contributor Experience

7 minutes ago, Charles Lewis said:

From a buyer perspective do they see any price differential? The payment system for contributors has changed but not the purchase system for customers. If there is no change for customers then you haven't 'undercut' yourself.

The prices you see is not what the buyers will be offered to return to Shutterstock, that's why they have put in a 10 cent floor so they don't lose contributors. Istock have a 2 cent floor so obviously when it come to competing with them they will have to absorb some of the difference, which they can because we are now on a percentage.

3 hours ago, Mike Kuhlman said:

Yeah--I've been doing that, thanks.  So WE determine what keywords are most relevant? 

Using AS' supplied keywords, relevance sorting has already been determined by AS automatically, but then we have to keep looking at AS' sorted according to relevance keywords vs. SS' alphabetized keywords, to make sure none are repeated, and make sure to not go over 50 keywords, rather complicated, a major PITA.

I was wondering if there's a better way to automate this.

Add the keywords, title and description to the metadata. Keywords in the order of your preference, it make no difference to Shutterstock, but Adobe will keep your preferences.

1 hour ago, paulomachado_9 said:

My adobe stock experience is not being very good, it takes a long time to review the photos, is this normal? I have photos taking 16 to 22 days for the reviewer to see, is it the same with you? best regards

It is the same here. But I have been only uploading for about 1/2 year. Sometimes it takes 3 weeks to get reviewed. And it may very well be a "sudden" reject. Although 3 other sites (even SS) accepted the same. Pretty unpredictable. That's why I tend to "test" the photo at SS first. If it goes thru, there is a 80-90% chance that AS accepts it. Otherwise the 3 weeks wait may just be for nothing. 

My sales on AS went up since the pandemic.

No complaints about AS from me. Perhaps OP's images are not a right fight for customers who buy from AS.

13 hours ago, Firn said:

My experience is a different one.
Adobe has done fairly well for me all year with an average price of 1$ per image, used to be either close to my SS earnings or above.
This month I made about more than double as much on Adobe as on SS. No complains from me about Adobe.

+1

13 hours ago, Objowl's Fractal Art said:

I'm no suggesting having the same images at both, just taking the buyers to the better paying one.

Unfortunately it just does not work like that - a significant amount of buyers are large organisations that negotiate their own terms with suppliers, limiting there designers to the use of one agency, at which they pay something completely different from front end advertised prices.  While you may be able to persuade the designer that SS have pulled a nasty and they should change to AS, the designer has no influence over the financial team who are only interested in their bespoke deal and will stay with SS.

Further more as I have said the evidence is different buyers with different needs tend to congregate at different agencies - the fact that totally different pictures from the same port sell at different agencies suggests the reason buyer A is a SS not AS is because AS does not have enough of the precise images they want.  Sure some of the images they want are available at both places, but plenty of them are not, so they stick to the place they are available.

You may not be suggesing having the same images at both but general advice from experienced photographers are that is the way to go - although counter intuitive you do not undercut yourself and stand a much higher chances of the images that do not sell in one place selling in another so overall you get a much higher number of unique images actually selling than if you stick with one agency.

47 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

Unfortunately it just does not work like that - a significant amount of buyers are large organisations that negotiate their own terms with suppliers, limiting there designers to the use of one agency, at which they pay something completely different from front end advertised prices.  While you may be able to persuade the designer that SS have pulled a nasty and they should change to AS, the designer has no influence over the financial team who are only interested in their bespoke deal and will stay with SS.

Further more as I have said the evidence is different buyers with different needs tend to congregate at different agencies - the fact that totally different pictures from the same port sell at different agencies suggests the reason buyer A is a SS not AS is because AS does not have enough of the precise images they want.  Sure some of the images they want are available at both places, but plenty of them are not, so they stick to the place they are available.

You may not be suggesing having the same images at both but general advice from experienced photographers are that is the way to go - although counter intuitive you do not undercut yourself and stand a much higher chances of the images that do not sell in one place selling in another so overall you get a much higher number of unique images actually selling than if you stick with one agency.

I have images at several sites, but none that pay 10cents or less, that's how you keep your returns up.

I have had the very same experience - a huge drop in sales in Adobe. I think it's because buyers have flocked to SS because many of the same images are so cheap. With all the other depressing factors and loss of income associated with COVID, .10 sales are just adding to that. Think I will delete my account July 1 -- was hanging on through June to see how it went.

38 minutes ago, Linda Hughes Photography said:

I have had the very same experience - a huge drop in sales in Adobe. I think it's because buyers have flocked to SS because many of the same images are so cheap. With all the other depressing factors and loss of income associated with COVID, .10 sales are just adding to that. Think I will delete my account July 1 -- was hanging on through June to see how it went.

Have prices to customers changed at SS?

12 hours ago, paulomachado_9 said:

My adobe stock experience is not being very good, it takes a long time to review the photos, is this normal? I have photos taking 16 to 22 days for the reviewer to see, is it the same with you? best regards

Not for me... but I have been with Adobe (Folio before that) since 2008. My I don't upload much in the past year, but my uploads only take a day or two to get approved. 

Perhaps they are giving preference to the people who have been with them a long time. They most probably are getting swamped with new people uploading thousands at a time this past month. 

My AS sales have gone up in leaps and bounds the past 1-2 years, with only half the port here.

25 minutes ago, Keith Tarrier said:

Perhaps they are giving preference to the people who have been with them a long time

I am with them since 2012 and reviews these last weeks (month) take about 12 days. The dashboard is miserable though they got everything ready from FT, they just don't care. Today the contributor site is down, all together, I wanted to check my pending images but the site is down.

My sales there are 30% of that of SS, on a good month but that is probably different for everyone.

4 hours ago, Charles Lewis said:

Have prices to customers changed at SS?

Not as far as I am aware. Just because we get paid less does not equate to customers paying less

Something strange just happened to me. A moment ago this was sold on SS:

DK1ss.jpg.3b3eeec5e3d8f7d36119cdcd7bac1b88.jpg
and a few moments after that, this sale appeared on AS:

DK1as.jpg.4cbae62aec6f8d121ed89a54317a06c5.jpg
Uploaded on SS in May 2018(on AS in August 2019) and has never been sold before(this is the first sale of this shot). What is the chance that the same photo, which has never been sold before, will be sold at almost the same time on two different agencies?

54 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

Not as far as I am aware. Just because we get paid less does not equate to customers paying less

Which was the point I was making. Some posters seem to think that because contributor payments are lower then customer prices are lower.

1 hour ago, Charles Lewis said:

Which was the point I was making. Some posters seem to think that because contributor payments are lower then customer prices are lower.

I think a lot of customers are going to be oblivious to the cuts to contributors - and some are more likely to ask SS for a cut to what they pay as a result rather than a demand for contributors to be paid more.

What I heard in regards to review times on adobe is that they are delayed due to the sudden increase in volume of submissions. I’m guessing many jumped from SS to Adobe and they were not prepared for the volume. The turn around time there for me is averaging about 10 days for commercial. Only 24 hours or so for the illustrative editorials 

39 minutes ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

they are delayed due to the sudden increase in volume of submissions. I’m guessing many jumped from SS to Adobe and they were not prepared for the volume.

There were complaints on MSG for the long delay in review before the SS change, so mid May but the additional volume sure added to the problem.

They have a strange review, they don't review all pending files, just approve a few files and leave the rest for next time. Video review is much faster though.

20 minutes ago, Whiteaster said:

There were complaints on MSG for the long delay in review before the SS change, so mid May but the additional volume sure added to the problem.

They have a strange review, they don't review all pending files, just approve a few files and leave the rest for next time. Video review is much faster though.

Yes, I noticed the video gets reviewed faster too. Probably not as many people flooding that channel. I've been watching the last part of the webinars that Mat was hosting and then joined the discord channel so Mat had addressed the review lag times on there. They're getting a bit better, but yeah. It is a bit disconcerting when they review a few files but leave the rest. It doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason to it, but my rejection rate is pretty low there so I don't stress over it. My sales there are picking up on Adobe but still better on SS despite the changes (with SS sales better by about 50%). Used to be my sales at Adobe were about 25 - 30% of what I made on SS so it's definitely an improvement on Adobe. 

21 hours ago, paulomachado_9 said:

Usually 10-12 days for me. Used to be around 3 days; I've figured the delay has to do with COVID19 and/or increased volume from contributors migrating from SS.

13 hours ago, Keith Tarrier said:

Perhaps they are giving preference to the people who have been with them a long time.

Seems like it. I uploaded several images last night and they were approved by lunch time today. Same thing happened last week too, and the month before that.

Usually it takes 3-4 days for me. Been with FT/AS since 2015.

On 6/29/2020 at 8:04 PM, Tawrat Ferdousi Branding said:

Do you think constant .10 c sells are depressing?

Than look at this.

On Adobe Stock I haven't had a single sell since 13 June.

---

You have to admit other microstock sites are shit

and that's why Shutterstock got the power to take this dicition.

--

After the BycottShutterstock trend I only given content to Adobe Stock 

and this is the result I have got.

And at the meantime with no new content and 0.10 c sell Shutterstock out performed..

--

Currently I have AVAILABLE EARNINGS $20.36 on Adobe Stock and on Shutterstock I have $24.56.

and I am getting constant sells on shutterstock on one single vector image.

--

Don't get me wrong. I am not supporting shutterstock's huge 0.10c sell

But you have to admit other sites are Shit as well.

Hash truth or realty you say.

--

Thanks. 

I am open to any kind of comment on this.

image.png.e7131a532c7abff866231fe94c423a94.png

Not agreeing with you, my June stats is

SS- 359 download with one footage and some ODs - 68.71 $

AS- 38 downloads with much much smaller and new portfolio- 49.14$

AS is the future, SS days are gone

17 hours ago, Andi GreyScale said:

Seems like it. I uploaded several images last night and they were approved by lunch time today. Same thing happened last week too, and the month before that.

Usually it takes 3-4 days for me. Been with FT/AS since 2015.

But you're submitting illustrations aren't you? That's a different queue than photos. The one illustration I submitted there this week was reviewed within 24 hours as well.