Sign in to follow this  
Steven Tritton

I seriously cannot believe my eyes

21 hours ago, Doug Jensen said:

The reality is . . .

Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 5.33.01 PM.png

Curious, did you somehow escape the flurry of < $1 sales? And if you didn't, did it seem like it was many of the same clips being sold, as if this is some sort of streaming license, where people pay every time someone plays the video?

I have very limited data, but out of my 5 sales of this sort, it's been 2 clips selling 3 x and 2 x respectively. Which is strange, because neither of these clips had ever sold before, so the sudden popularity makes no sense.

One of the biggest problems with Shutterstock is a lack of data reporting, so it is difficult to quickly crunch numbers to discover trends, problems, etc.

For the most part, June was an ordinary month.  I earned $3385 from 106 downloads making my average $31.93. 
June 2019 was $2967 from 82 downloads, making my average $36.18.
So the average commission was down 13%, but my overall earnings were up +16%.  However, I have more clips in my portfolio now than I did a year ago, so it is tempting to call it a decrease in sales.  it all depends on how you want to look at it.  But ultimately, I've got $3385 more in my pocket on June 30 than I had on June 1.

In fact, I earned almost $400 in June just from clips that I uploaded in June. I've never seen clips sell that fast before.

There was some strange stuff once or twice during the month. I normally average 2-4 sales per day.  One day I had 24.  I've never had more than 10 in my entire time at SS.  Fortunately there were a couple of $170 ones mixed in so it added up to $400, but most of them were in the $1.50 - $3.00 range with no location shown.  It was as if someone came in with a subscription plan and was grabbing some of my best clips.  The subject matter was all over the place, so clearly it was a single buyer just grabbing a bunch of my best clips.  Another day there was a flurry of sales between $3 - $4.  That kind of stuff bothers me, but whatcha gonna do?  As long as the average commission stays high, I'll take the good with the bad.

As I have said before, I can't predict what will happen in the future and I won't make any changes based on other people's predictions of disaster. I have planted my seeds, now I just have to see what the harvest brings.

Here's the way I crunch the numbers:

I have $158,000 in lifetime earnings.
I have 8900 clips in my portfolio.
That means each clip has earned an average of $17.50, including the thousands of clips that have never sold even once.
I can edit, grade, render, and create all the keywords and descriptions for 12 clips per hour.
12 clips x $17.50 = $210 per hour.

And those 8900 clips will continue to earn for many years to come, even if I stopped uploading today, so my hourly income from those clips will keep right on rising.  This is a great racket.  Maybe not as good as it once was, but it still pays pretty well.

23 minutes ago, Doug Jensen said:

One of the biggest problems with Shutterstock is a lack of data reporting, so it is difficult to quickly crunch numbers to discover trends, problems, etc.

For the most part, June was an ordinary month.  I earned $3385 from 106 downloads making my average $31.93. 
June 2019 was $2967 from 82 downloads, making my average $36.18.
So the average commission was down 13%, but my overall earnings were up +16%.  However, I have more clips in my portfolio now than I did a year ago, so it is tempting to call it a decrease in sales.  it all depends on how you want to look at it.  But ultimately, I've got $3385 more in my pocket on June 30 than I had on June 1.

In fact, I earned almost $400 in June just from clips that I uploaded in June. I've never seen clips sell that fast before.

There was some strange stuff once or twice during the month. I normally average 2-4 sales per day.  One day I had 24.  I've never had more than 10 in my entire time at SS.  Fortunately there were a couple of $170 ones mixed in so it added up to $400, but most of them were in the $1.50 - $3.00 range with no location shown.  It was as if someone came in with a subscription plan and was grabbing some of my best clips.  The subject matter was all over the place, so clearly it was a single buyer just grabbing a bunch of my best clips.  Another day there was a flurry of sales between $3 - $4.  That kind of stuff bothers me, but whatcha gonna do?  As long as the average commission stays high, I'll take the good with the bad.

As I have said before, I can't predict what will happen in the future and I won't make any changes based on other people's predictions of disaster. I have planted my seeds, now I just have to see what the harvest brings.

Here's the way I crunch the numbers:

I have $158,000 in lifetime earnings.
I have 8900 clips in my portfolio.
That means each clip has earned an average of $17.50, including the thousands of clips that have never sold even once.
I can edit, grade, render, and create all the keywords and descriptions for 12 clips per hour.
12 clips x $17.50 = $210 per hour.

And those 8900 clips will continue to earn for many years to come, even if I stopped uploading today, so my hourly income from those clips will keep right on rising.  This is a great racket.  Maybe not as good as it once was, but it still pays pretty well.

Doug, be sure that you're 1 in 30.000 contributors that earn so much. Telling how much you earn doesn't make anybody feel better except you and some administrator of SS.

The reality is that most people have not done what it takes to earn an income that they would be satisfied with. I HAVE EARNED EVERY CENT OF MY INCOME. If it makes you feel bad that others are more successful, try working harder and smarter and maybe you can be successful too.

2 hours ago, TheGlowingCarrot said:

The reality is that 99% of contributors are making .10c per image. I made .20c last 3 days.

How can you know that? Certainly not the case for me.

On 7/2/2020 at 1:00 AM, Doug Jensen said:

The reality is that most people have not done what it takes to earn an income that they would be satisfied with. I HAVE EARNED EVERY CENT OF MY INCOME. If it makes you feel bad that others are more successful, try working harder and smarter and maybe you can be successful too.

Your NASA launch pad clips are probably a big part of your sales, would you say that the same can be replicated without access to such location? I have a good opportunity to shoot Prague but you know it's not exactly news worthy content... I imagine it would work for lifestyle shoots with models though, there's my next year's resolution haha. :)

On 7/2/2020 at 2:00 AM, Doug Jensen said:

It's not about smarter and harder. MOST of people here work very hard and they are every smart, somebody smarter than you and me together. It's about place were you live, posibilities, circumstances, acces to different locations etc.

Not necessary smart people earn money these days. A lot of smart people die of hunger in different countries.

On 7/2/2020 at 2:00 AM, Doug Jensen said:

Btw i'm successful in my illusttarion business, well known in my town. But we messure succes in differet ways, it's not always about money. Regards.different ways, it's not always about money. Regards.

1 hour ago, TheGlowingCarrot said:

about place were you live, posibilities, circumstances, acces to different locations etc.

"Your best picture may be 10m away from where you stand right now" something similar used to say Laurin. And he was quite right. Also, It's always about working harder and smarter. But working smart save you time. And your time is what you are paid for after all... 

4 hours ago, rasomaso said:

Your NASA launch pad clips are probably a big part of your sales, would you say that the same can be replicated without access to such location? I have a good opportunity to shoot Prague but you know it's not exactly news worthy content... I imagine it would work for lifestyle shoots with models though, there's my next year's resolution haha. :)

No, I have already addressed this elsewhere.  Rockets are a very small part of my sales and they take a hell of a lot of time to go shoot.  My best sellers are things anyone could shoot if they wanted to invest the time.  However, I would say that people who don't live in North America and/or cannot write fluently in English are at a disadvantage.

3 hours ago, TheGlowingCarrot said:

It's not about smarter and harder. MOST of people here work very hard and they are every smart, somebody smarter than you and me together. It's about place were you live, posibilities, circumstances, acces to different locations etc.

Not necessary smart people earn money these days. A lot of smart people die of hunger in different countries.

Mr Carrot, you are entitled to believe this is true if it makes you feel better.  I completely disagree.

I see that you have 11 videos in your portfolio.  is that due to living in an area that has nothing to shoot? Do you live in a box that has white walls and no way to go outside and see the world?  Don't try to tell me it isn't about hard work and being smart.

If anyone who is not making the income they would like wants to know who is responsible, they just have to look in the mirror to see the person that is holding them back from success.

2 hours ago, TheGlowingCarrot said:

Btw i'm successful in my illusttarion business, well known in my town. But we messure succes in differet ways, it's not always about money. Regards.different ways, it's not always about money. Regards.

Mr. Carrot, I don't care what your day job is or about your success outside of stock. Don't try to change the subject to something that has nothing to do with stock.  Many of us have successful day jobs and stock is just for fun and pocket money.  Please don't try to pretend that money is not important to you, go back and read your own posts.  If money is not important then the commission changes shouldn't matter to you.  Stop giving me crap and go out and shoot.

5 hours ago, Doug Jensen said:

Stop giving me crap and go out and shoot.

This made me chuckle. Reminds me of Laurin! His comments too always hurt so much because they were dead-on true.

And I'm saying this as someone who knows that only my own laziness is keeping me from having a 8,000 video port.

On 7/1/2020 at 12:34 AM, Doug Jensen said:

The reality is . . .

Doug, hello! Have you figured out why some clips float to the top and others don't?

I had a January sale that sold a gopher that I recently loaded. subscribe button

After the sale, it never made it to the top of the page.

But similar platitudes emerge that have never been sold and may not be sold.  Winter forest

Whenever a clip is shown to a customer, that customer's actions will have an influence on whether the clip is shown again.  When a clip is shown, but not purchased, it lessens the chance it will be shown again when someone uses similar search words.  Just the opposite happens if the customer buys the clip.  This is why it is so important to have relevant key words and high quality clips. 

All we can to is submit quality footage with excellent metadata,  after that it is totally out of our hands and whatever happens from there is going to be a bit of a mystery.

17 minutes ago, Doug Jensen said:

Whenever a clip is shown to a customer, that customer's actions will have an influence on whether the clip is shown again.  When a clip is shown, but not purchased, it lessens the chance it will be shown again when someone uses similar search words.  Just the opposite happens if the customer buys the clip.  This is why it is so important to have relevant key words and high quality clips. 

All we can to is submit quality footage with excellent metadata,  after that it is totally out of our hands and whatever happens from there is going to be a bit of a mystery.

Thanks for your opinion. I agree with you, but in my examples I see obvious contradictions to this principle. I know that my question is rhetorical.

14 hours ago, Tim photo-video said:

Have you figured out why some clips float to the top and others don't?

Another thing that will influence ranking is customers saving a clip into a collection, or downloading the free low-res preview files to see how the clip might work out in their editing project. Lastly, it's possible that certain trending keywords might put a clip higher up in rank.

12 hours ago, Tim photo-video said:

in my examples I see obvious contradictions to this principle.

I don't want to argue and I don't claim to have all the answers, but I don't see you could have the data to see obvious contradictions.  You don't know what terms customers searched for when they bought your clips, let alone what they searched for when they do NOT buy your clips. Please elaborate on what you are seeing.