Sign in to follow this  
David Moreno Hernandez

How much should I be paid for a video that was bought to be used in a volkswagen TV ad?

6 minutes ago, David Moreno Hernandez said:

A couple of months ago SS sold a footage of mine for 115$, I got 30% of that). And I just saw the video in an ad of volkswagen. Is that amount normal for such a big use?  I was expecting much more for that kind of use.  

Appears that they purchased the wrong license. Worth investigating.

Standard permissions do not include:

• Television Distribution – The standard Shutterstock footage license does not permit for any usage in television shows or commercials. Usage is also prohibited for distribution over any broadcast, cable or satellite.
  • Movie Theater Distribution – Distribution in movie theaters is not permitted with the standard footage license.
  • Over the Top (OTT) Video Distribution – Over the top video distribution, or streaming services such as Netflix is not permitted by the standard footage license.

https://www.shutterstock.com/support/article/What-usage-is-permitted-with-the-Shutterstock-Footage-license

53 minutes ago, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

Appears that they purchased the wrong license. Worth investigating.

$115 is not a standard license. Depending on where the ad ran (TV vs. on the web), this might have been an extended license for a small SD file?

I know someone who composed some music for a VW advert and the fee was a LOT higher than that (5 figures). Not an exact 1:1 representation of your situation but gives you some reference. 

thx everyone. I already sent an email to SS infringmentclaims department. 

5 hours ago, Milo J said:

this might have been an extended license for a small SD file?

This was on the whole screen, not sure if a small size can fill that.

1 hour ago, Marco Curaba said:

How do you know it was used but you seem not to have seen it ?

What do you mean? I have watched it on tv  but I can't find a link to that particular ad to send it as a proof

1 hour ago, David Moreno Hernandez said:

thx everyone. I already sent an email to SS infringmentclaims department. 

This was on the whole screen, not sure if a small size can fill that.

What do you mean? I have watched it on tv  but I can't find a link to that particular ad to send it as a proof

If you watched it on TV, then they purchased an HD file. Regular license for that is $79 - not sure if $115 would cover broadcast rights. Seems low.

did you check their web and YouTube pages many companies repost their adds so people can find them

the youtube pages are by country market but seems most TV ads are listed.

9 hours ago, RozenskiP said:

did you check their web and YouTube pages many companies repost their adds so people can find them

the youtube pages are by country market but seems most TV ads are listed.

Thanks. I have already tried that. Seems like it is a new ad. I can not find it. I have called Volkswagen client attention and asked about the ad pretending to be interested in the car... Also, I am still waiting for SS to respond.

4 hours ago, David Moreno Hernandez said:

... Also, I am still waiting for SS to respond.

Good luck with that. I had a similar case 2 or 3 year ago (with an image, not a video) and after a few months sending emails to Shutterstock compliance address, I had to settle it directly with the client that used my image. Hope things work better now.

6 hours ago, David Moreno Hernandez said:

After 10 days they responded back:

Dear David,

Yes, they used the proper license for your clip.

Regards,
Lynne
IP Team, Shutterstock

WONDERFUL, JUST WONDERFUL! 

Feed the beast!

On 7/6/2020 at 10:04 PM, David Moreno Hernandez said:

After 10 days they responded back:

Dear David,

Yes, they used the proper license for your clip.

Regards,
Lynne
IP Team, Shutterstock

WONDERFUL, JUST WONDERFUL! 

I appreciate how Shutterstock went to lengths to provide you with extra background information regarding the license and use and how this was determined. Such an extensive reply, the investigation must've been very thorough.

On 6/28/2020 at 9:40 AM, David Moreno Hernandez said:

A couple of months ago SS sold a footage of mine for 115$, I got 30% of that). And I just saw the video in an ad of volkswagen. Is that amount normal for such a big use?  I was expecting much more for that kind of use.  

dr-evil-1million-dollars-2013.jpg

I saw the reply at the end. Maybe you could write back and ask for details? If the question was, "did they use the correct license" then the reply was the simple yes? Something more specific might have asked how does a clip get licensed for $115 for a major television ad production and not more?

By the way, keep in mind that a sub was used for the cover of Time Magazine. These terms are unfortunately , not designed to make us more, but instead give buyers a great deal, for less. I see many of mine in text books, and nothing but a sub.

1 hour ago, HodagMedia said:

dr-evil-1million-dollars-2013.jpg

I saw the reply at the end. Maybe you could write back and ask for details? If the question was, "did they use the correct license" then the reply was the simple yes? Something more specific might have asked how does a clip get licensed for $115 for a major television ad production and not more?

By the way, keep in mind that a sub was used for the cover of Time Magazine. These terms are unfortunately , not designed to make us more, but instead give buyers a great deal, for less. I see many of mine in text books, and nothing but a sub.

If you take a look at Alexander post above it states standard licenses don't cover TV commercials. 

I got that answer after writing to them 4 emails asking much more than that. Seems like they can do whatever want.

Anyway I wrote them back asking for more details...

On 6/28/2020 at 10:10 AM, David Moreno Hernandez said:

Thanks Alex. Now, how the h... do I find that advert? I normally try to avoid them. 

I've come across websites that collect/archive commercials. You can also look on Youtube for it.

On 6/30/2020 at 7:04 AM, David Moreno Hernandez said:

Thanks. I have already tried that. Seems like it is a new ad. I can not find it. I have called Volkswagen client attention and asked about the ad pretending to be interested in the car... Also, I am still waiting for SS to 

Any of these?

https://www.ispot.tv/search?term=volkswagen&qtype=full

On 7/8/2020 at 11:25 AM, David Moreno Hernandez said:

If you take a look at Alexander post above it states standard licenses don't cover TV commercials. 

I got that answer after writing to them 4 emails asking much more than that. Seems like they can do whatever want.

Anyway I wrote them back asking for more details...

I guess I didn't read that information right. Makes me wonder why support would say it was licensed properly. This is interesting and makes me wonder what the details are.

I'd still like to see your work in the ad, just to see your video. 🙂👍

So finally I found my video on TV. It was not an advert of volkswagen as I thought first. I guess the volkswagen one was the next. Thing is it is a short advert of a3media a TV producer company in my country. 

It is the first one:

Just 5 sec. My footage is full size though. So I guess they bought either HD or 4k.

Nevertheless, despite getting in contact with SS several times all they say is that my clip has being used accordingly to the bought license. "
" The customer licensed your clip with a Media License, which permits advertising on TV"