The Jungle Explorer

Has SS become a modern day virtual SweatShop?

There was a time in American history during the great depression where companies took advantage of desperate people by paying them almost nothing for all their hard work. These companies offered many excuses as to why they HAD to pay such low wages.  Of course, each sweatshop company would say that the employees were free to leave at anytime.  Pretty much every argument you will hear from SS as to why they have reduced the payouts, are the exact same arguments that were given by these Sweat shops.  

When we think of the sweat shops of American history, or the current sweat shops that exist in Asian countries, we see them in a very negative light.  In the new world of the internet, many people make their living onilne.  Now  companies like SS are treating these hard working people just like the sweat shops of old.  Of course they will say, "You are free to leave", but the truth is, many contributors have thousands of hours of hard work invested in building their SS portfolio, and SS knows that these people can't leave without forfeiting years of work.  The cost of leaving in loss of work is so great that people are essentially forced to stay.  How is this any different from the sweat shops saying to their employees, "You are free to go", after the people had invested years building a life around their job and the cost of quitting was so great they could not afford to leave?

Why is it suddenly OK for internet companies like SS to behave in the same way as sweat shops?

17 minutes ago, The Jungle Explorer said:

There was a time in American history during the great depression where companies took advantage of desperate people by paying them almost nothing for all their hard work. These companies offered many excuses as to why they HAD to pay such low wages.  Of course, each sweatshop company would say that the employees were free to leave at anytime.  Pretty much every argument you will hear from SS as to why they have reduced the payouts, are the exact same arguments that were given by these Sweat shops.  

When we think of the sweat shops of American history, or the current sweat shops that exist in Asian countries, we see them in a very negative light.  In the new world of the internet, many people make their living onilne.  Now  companies like SS are treating these hard working people just like the sweat shops of old.  Of course they will say, "You are free to leave", but the truth is, many contributors have thousands of hours of hard work invested in building their SS portfolio, and SS knows that these people can't leave without forfeiting years of work.  The cost of leaving in loss of work is so great that people are essentially forced to stay.  How is this any different from the sweat shops saying to their employees, "You are free to go", after the people had invested years building a life around their job and the cost of quitting was so great they could not afford to leave?

Why is it suddenly OK for internet companies like SS to behave in the same way as sweat shops?

Very good point. It's great that someone has pointed it out. Take Ebay (not stock but a good example of the power of people )  ebay increased their fees some years ago among other things & sellers (including me) left in droves. Now they seem to be begging them & me to sell there again, they've given sellers more protection & free listings & I went back there again. They now face stiff competition from Facebook etc. but that's another story. Trust me people who run SS including that arrogant founder Jon O (whatever his name is) just cannot ignore us for long or else they're commiting commercial suicide. I still know (via facebook) designers who were on my course in the 80's. We even had a reunion last year after over 30 years. and were some of the most kind & reasonable people I've ever met. if they knew about what SS are doing  they would also boycott shutterstock.   

1 hour ago, Sari ONeal said:

To the OP:

easterntailed-blue-butterfly-resting-on-

This is not an Eastern Tailed-blue butterfly, it's a Reakirt's Blue - just an FYI so you can fix the title and keywords for it.

Thanks for the advice. After reviewing, I agree that you are 100% correct.  I have mislabeled this image.  I will make the corrections.  Thank you for bringing this to my attention. 

7 minutes ago, Sari ONeal said:

3K posts? Psssssssssht, amateurs ;):P

I could said something way more crude, but I was trying to give him an escape goat for not being able to have a rational conversation.  I do do well with people who only know how to rely on quotes form other people's opinions.  

1 hour ago, Sari ONeal said:

3K posts? Psssssssssht, amateurs ;):P

LOL. You beat me, I had about 16K before my "come back" and I have been posting a lot less since

Sorry, artists have many options to sell on the internet. Slave child workers in factories don‘t.

I dislike the new rate card just like anyone else, but I see no relationship to slavery at all. Nobody is putting a gun to your head or forcing you to upload here.

Some artists made the mistake of only uploading to SS even though the content is non exclusive, they will now have to aggressively to diversify elsewhere.

But we have choices, slaves do not.

21 minutes ago, Jasmin Awad said:

Sorry, artists have many options to sell on the internet. Slave child workers in factories don‘t.

I dislike the new rate card just like anyone else, but I see no relationship to slavery at all. Nobody is putting a gun to your head or forcing you to upload here.

Some artists made the mistake of only uploading to SS even though the content is non exclusive, they will now have to aggressively to diversify elsewhere.

Imagine how much time, money and effort most artists spend to upload 10.000-30.000... photos, research, write keywords, description etc. They are forced to stay here until they find another source of income.

To be a sweatshop SS would have to be the only way a person could make money to eat - and I do not believe that to be the case.  I think very very few people are totally 100% dependent on SS for their entire income with no possible alternatives.

16 hours ago, The Jungle Explorer said:

I could said something way more crude, but I was trying to give him an escape goat for not being able to have a rational conversation

Him?? You got the gender wrong, pal. 

3 hours ago, Jasmin Awad said:

But we don't have a choice until we get to the payment threshold so either: have to quit & donate our earnings to SS or 'sweat it out' on here until we can cash out. so it is sweatshop labor until then. However if SS allowed us to cash out before $35 then it would be fine. They should allow people to cash out early 

6 hours ago, Jasmin Awad said:

It is obvious that you did not read my OP because you would have known that already  addressed every argument you posed here. That and the fact that you don't know the difference between a sweatshop employee and a slave. 

2 hours ago, Tony Dunn said:

But we don't have a choice until we get to the payment threshold so either: have to quit & donate our earnings to SS or 'sweat it out' on here until we can cash out. so it is sweatshop labor until then. However if SS allowed us to cash out before $35 then it would be fine. They should allow people to cash out early 

And the fact that all the SS fans are not mentioning is that if we leave we lose thousands of hours of hard labor and work.  It is no different than a company encouraging people to come and work for them under a contract paying decent wages, and then after those people have moved to that town and did all the hard work to established their life their, the company changes the contract dropping wages by 70% and say, "Your are free to leave if you want to."  This is EXACTLY what SS has done. After we have invest immeasurable amounts of work to build our profile and life on SS, they cut commissions by 70% and said, "You are free to leave if you don't like it."

Our choice is to stay and be treated like sweat shop employees aor leave and lose EVERYTHING wee have worked so hard to build. There is NO! difference to what SS has done to a real company abusing their employees this way.  Not one iota!

Just now, The Jungle Explorer said:

And the fact that all the SS fans are not mentioning is that if we leave we lose thousands of hours of hard labor and work.  It is no different than a company encouraging people to come and work for them under a contract, and then after those people have moved to that town and did all the hard work to established their life their, the company changes the contract dropping wages by 70% and said, "Your are free to leave if you want to."  This is EXACTLY what SS has done. After we have invest immeasurable amounts of work to build our profile and life on SS, they cut commissions by 70% and said, "You are free to leave if you don't like it."  There is NO! difference to what SS has done to a real company abusing their employees this way.  Not one iota!

Of course you do not lose thousands of hours of work.  To claim that is ridiculous.  You can decide to use other outlets to sell that work.  It is nothing like encouraging people to move town under contract.  We are not the employees of shutterstock we are the employers - and we can choose not to employ them anymore.  Just send your work to another agency or sell it yourself.

We are not and never have been exclusively contracted to SS - we have not at any point given them any rights to our work,  they have simply said they will sell it for us and we can keep x amount of what they sell it for and now they have changed that to y amount of what they sell it for. 

6 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

Of course you do not lose thousands of hours of work.  To claim that is ridiculous.  You can decide to use other outlets to sell that work.  It is nothing like encouraging people to move town under contract.  We are not the employees of shutterstock we are the employers - and we can choose not to employ them anymore.  Just send your work to another agency or sell it yourself.

We are not and never have been exclusively contracted to SS - we have not at any point given them any rights to our work,  they have simply said they will sell it for us and we can keep x amount of what they sell it for and now they have changed that to y amount of what they sell it for. 

Wrong!  I can't just do that.  You see, in your little tiny universe, you may not be aware that not everybody has a FiOS 1 Gig internet connection and can upload a GB of data every second.  I live in a remote rural area with a very poor internet connection that on the very best days is .03 Mbs That is Megabits, not Megabytes. It takes me all night to upload a few high quality images to SS.  For me to move my database of images would take literally months.  

Everything I said 100% applies to SS.

13 minutes ago, The Jungle Explorer said:

Wrong!  I can't just do that.  You see, in your little tiny universe, you may not be aware that not everybody has a FiOS 1 Gig internet connection and can upload a GB of data every second.  I live in a remote rural area with a very poor internet connection that on the very best days is .03 Mbs That is Megabits, not Megabytes. It takes me all night to upload a few high quality images to SS.  For me to move my database of images would take literally months.  

So it isn't that a company is a sweatshop, it is actually that you don't have access to a fast internet connection.

Glad you cleared that up for everyone.

Just now, stockphotofan1 said:

So it isn't that a company is a sweatshop, it is actually that you don't have access to a fast internet connection.

Glad you cleared that up for everyone.

If I had no argument, I would say the same thing. LOL!

At least you have options and things to consider in reasoning those options. A sweatshop slave doesn't even have those options. So to compare these latest developments with sweatshops is ignorant and ridiculous.

FYI, There is such a thing nowadays as satellite internet access with very reasonable speeds

1 minute ago, Rudy Umans said:

At least you have options and things to consider in reasoning those options. A sweatshop slave doesn't even have those options. So to compare these latest developments with sweatshops is ignorant and ridiculous.

Ahem!  "Virtual Sweatshop". 😉

8 minutes ago, The Jungle Explorer said:

Ahem!  "Virtual Sweatshop". 😉

Sure, then all your posts and opinions in this thread are also "virtual"