I am still reading through upload requirements. However, I am not finding the answer to this generic question. Can we upload and get approved images or videos that have an artistic viewpoint? I know Shutterstock sells illustrations, but I don't work with that medium yet. I have attached a photograph as an example. The image was taken on the west coast near the water. I inverted the colors to make something interesting. Also, if we are able to upload artistic images, do they need to adhere to the same requirements or any at all? For example, if this image is out of focus, does that matter like a standard stock image would? 

Thanks. 

Invert_Colors.jpg

Hi Jason, yes, you can submit manipulated photos. Technical requirements don't change no matter what type of image you are submitting.  Altering poor quality photos into 'artistic' images might seem like a good way get them accepted, but isn't. Better just to take a good quality photo in the first place. If you have an artistic vision, then go for it. But be aware of a few things...
If the manipulated photo still looks like a photo then submit as such, if it is altered to the point it looks like an illustration, submit as an illustration. In between is a grey area where you may get rejections for not being designated as illustration, or that it shouldn't have been. Each reviewer may have a different opinion so acceptance may require submitting several times.
The same issue may arise with the need for a reference image. Read up on 'reference images' by searching in contributor support, via your dashboard.
Say in the description that it is a manipulated photo, also say if you have added blur or grain ect. This makes it clear to the reviewer and buyer that it is intentional.

Whatever type of image you submit think about why a buyer would want to buy it. And check your competition by seeing what is in the SS catalogue already. Is your image offering something better, something new, filling a niche, or useful at the very least. I'm not sure why someone would need, or want, the image you have shown. It has some nice textures that had you concentrated on them, may, if done well, be useful as backgrounds, but I can't see any use for this image as it is. Would you buy it, and if so what for? Rhetorical question, to hopefully help you ;) 

9 hours ago, Jason Pfister said:

I am still reading through upload requirements. However, I am not finding the answer to this generic question. Can we upload and get approved images or videos that have an artistic viewpoint? I know Shutterstock sells illustrations, but I don't work with that medium yet. I have attached a photograph as an example. The image was taken on the west coast near the water. I inverted the colors to make something interesting. Also, if we are able to upload artistic images, do they need to adhere to the same requirements or any at all? For example, if this image is out of focus, does that matter like a standard stock image would? 

Thanks. 

Invert_Colors.jpg

You took such a lot of work and effort to create this great masterpiece of modern art.

Do you really want to throw it away for 10 Cent?

5 hours ago, Linda Bestwick said:

Hi Jason, yes, you can submit manipulated photos. Technical requirements don't change no matter what type of image you are submitting.  Altering poor quality photos into 'artistic' images might seem like a good way get them accepted, but isn't. Better just to take a good quality photo in the first place. If you have an artistic vision, then go for it. But be aware of a few things...
If the manipulated photo still looks like a photo then submit as such, if it is altered to the point it looks like an illustration, submit as an illustration. In between is a grey area where you may get rejections for not being designated as illustration, or that it shouldn't have been. Each reviewer may have a different opinion so acceptance may require submitting several times.
The same issue may arise with the need for a reference image. Read up on 'reference images' by searching in contributor support, via your dashboard.
Say in the description that it is a manipulated photo, also say if you have added blur or grain ect. This makes it clear to the reviewer and buyer that it is intentional.

Whatever type of image you submit think about why a buyer would want to buy it. And check your competition by seeing what is in the SS catalogue already. Is your image offering something better, something new, filling a niche, or useful at the very least. I'm not sure why someone would need, or want, the image you have shown. It has some nice textures that had you concentrated on them, may, if done well, be useful as backgrounds, but I can't see any use for this image as it is. Would you buy it, and if so what for? Rhetorical question, to hopefully help you ;) 

1) Thanks. Good quality images are what I am aiming for. I am pushing my current camera system to the max to get quality shots until I can upgrade.

2) Thanks for the information regarding illustrations and reference images. I read up on both after speaking with an expert user and reading shutterstock articles.

3) That makes sense regarding the buyer. That is true of any industry. I try to follow the shot list, but only as time permits and I am decades behind on photo/video work. This was not my profession or hobby. Now it is a hobby (on the side) that may turn into something one day, but with market saturation, I will most likely stick to my original career for now. :)

4) Great advice all around and I appreciate it. In some cases my images or videos are better suited for other platforms. So, still learning what goes where and you helped with that.

Thanks, Jason. 

5 hours ago, geogif said:

You took such a lot of work and effort to create this great masterpiece of modern art.

Do you really want to throw it away for 10 Cent?

I did actually do some work on the original before I inverted the colors, so that is true - even if you were being funny. :)

If and when I make it into Getty, a Gallery, or have my own website, I would of course want to command more earnings for sure. Maybe someday. That day is not today.....