mariait

My photo in someone's portfolio

4 minutes ago, mariait said:

Hello please help. I have contacted support a couple of days ago, but this my photo of horses is still on sale in some other author's portfolio

May be my question will be visible here

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/two-running-horses-blurred-background-1759856363

It seems all the photos are from different contributors. 

thanks

If you only contacted support that might not help, did you send an email to compliance@shutterstock.com ( think that's the right one ). Clicking on the link you provided when looking at similars there are 4 versions of this photo which different backgrounds but the horses are the same don't know if any of them are yours.

1 minute ago, mariait said:

Thanks, yes, i have send the request to this email, probably need to wait a bit more. They usually reacted faster )

Hi Maria,

This happens a lot. You could try to send a copyright infringement report to SS. Read this page from the link, it may help:

https://www.shutterstock.com/contributorsupport/articles/en_US/kbat02/How-do-I-report-copyright-infringement?q=DMCA&l=en_US&fs=Search&pn=1

Good luck!

2 minutes ago, mariait said:

Thanks, yes, i have send the request to this email, probably need to wait a bit more. They usually reacted faster )

Might be that 'support' is having a hard time right now with contributors complaining, closing accounts, etc. Sometimes they are also slow when it comes down to checking thieves accounts, sometimes the just remove the image you complained about and sometimes they close the whole account. If you don't hear anything in the next few days I would send another email asking them to take action.

Gold bars stolen from Getty:

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/number-shiny-1000g-gold-biscuits-1762853936

https://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/illustration/gold-bullion-illustration-royalty-free-illustration/545864069?adppopup=true

...this is a naughty boy.

Whiteaster's link to infringement claims is the correct way to go. Chances are that they'll only take down your infringed photo from his port and leave the rest unless a few other infringed authors complain too. The penalties for you if you make a false claim are horrendous....for him, nothing, except losing his fake portfolio.

I don't understand why it happens. Shutterstock has algorithms for finding similar images and they can easily find out if a new image was stolen from another Shutterstock portfolio. Then why do they approve stolen images? 

Just now, Natwood said:

I don't understand why it happens. Shutterstock has algorithms for finding similar images and they can easily find out if a new image was stolen from another Shutterstock portfolio. Then why do they approve stolen images? 

Their algos detect similar images in a portfolio of a single contributor not similar images in virtual space. As you've seen in the past from their tardy reaction to fakefolios, it's not a priority for SS as it costs money and they don't lose out (except perhaps a little reputation). Nah!

1 hour ago, mariait said:

Hello please help. I have contacted support a couple of days ago, but this my photo of horses is still on sale in some other author's portfolio

May be my question will be visible here

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/two-running-horses-blurred-background-1759856363

It seems all the photos are from different contributors. 

thanks

When I had same problem it took time to remove the images which were stolen from me. But it also took me some time to get the instructions for submitting complaint correctly. I would like to save your time a little, so here is the instructions I've received then.

"Thank you for contacting Shutterstock.

If you believe that your copyright has been infringed, we ask you to submit a DMCA Copyright Infringement Notice. Please follow the instructions on this page to submit all the required information so we may investigate and take action as quickly as possible.

Please keep in mind the following requirements:

• You must be the copyright holder in order to submit a DMCA, or be the legal representative of the person being infringed

• You must identify the work being infringed (links, image IDs)

• Provide links to the infringing work  (links, image IDs)

• Provide contact information for yourself

Please send your DMCA notice directly to our Legal department at infringementclaims@shutterstock.com. If this notice is not sent directly to infringementclaims@shutterstock.com we cannot guarantee that it will be handled appropriately or in a timely manner."

I hope it'll help.

On 6/24/2020 at 11:53 PM, stevemart said:

Their algos detect similar images in a portfolio of a single contributor not similar images in virtual space. As you've seen in the past from their tardy reaction to fakefolios, it's not a priority for SS as it costs money and they don't lose out (except perhaps a little reputation). Nah!

I don't mean the whole virtual space, I mean their own site, they can definitely check if SS already has same image before approving it. And, yes, I agree with you in what you said about SS priorities. When I said "I don't understand why it happens" I was being sarcastic, I do understand why it happens :)

Another stolen image in his portfolio:

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-illustration/amazing-3d-background-abstract-image-1762836776

This architecture is of the entrance of the famous exhibition center in Basel, Switzerland. The thief has probably never been there and does not the place, so he wrote "3d abstract background"

from the original photographer:

https://unsplash.com/photos/ANNzsuFDYY0

1 hour ago, mariait said:

Yes, it really looks like photos from many authors. Agree with you 

His port looks like a SS greatest hits compilation :D

Some amazing photos in there!

Ports like his are proof there are no bots used on SS.

1 hour ago, Philip Armitage said:

just curious, what happens when the thief has sold images that are stolen. Does SS transfer those earnings to the true author?

Never heard of that happening. Once again, that would cost manpower and resources which doesn't contribute to the bottom line....and, presumably, will not done. However, I have no idea what happens if some like Getty would insist on SS informing them of any revenue received from their pirated work. Might have to pay up but the amounts involved are probably just pennies and no-one is bothered except the actual author.

11 hours ago, Doug McLean said:

Google's photo search tool can instantly find almost any given photo on the Internet, why can't Shutterstock at least search their own database when photos are uploaded to see if they are stolen?

They don't have time for trivialities like that.
They need all their capacity to count their money. 
It's damned hard work. 
A little more understanding from the contributors would be appreciated. 

13 hours ago, mariait said:

I have contacted support a couple of days ago

Hi mariait - unbelieveable the port is still active, it seems like its all stolen images.

Such amazing and wonderful photos of horses! May I ask if some of them are computer generated? You rarelysee horses In nature without bridles. Just curious ...

Infringement claims correctly presented often take a week or more before the image is removed and then the rest of the fraudfolio stays up until such times as another 2 or more authors file an infringement claim.

AS is much faster. I found some stolen images on AS ripped off from an artist couple in UK. They had an email address so I mailed them and they got their representative to send a DMCA notice. Their shots were gone within 24 hours and within 48 hours his whole port was gone. These guys are always serial offenders and unlike AS that quickly removes the whole port, SS seems to give them the benefit of the doubt!

4 hours ago, oleschwander said:

Hi mariait - unbelieveable the port is still active, it seems like its all stolen images.

Such amazing and wonderful photos of horses! May I ask if some of them are computer generated? You rarelysee horses In nature without bridles. Just curious ...

Thanks so much! all horses have been captured running without equipment, that was the agreement with their owners, as they do look beautiful just running. Thank you!

8 hours ago, Philip Armitage said:

just curious, what happens when the thief has sold images that are stolen. Does SS transfer those earnings to the true author?

Unfortunately no, they leave all the earnings to themselves. I have sent dozens of complaints (with my photos stolen) to the support and the maximum they do - they just delete the photo. 

Probably this is the reason it happens so far. It is an additional income for the SS