christopher babcock

Is there a point of trying to upload photos anymore?

And you will be doing the neighbourhood and the planet a favour by cleaning up

Thanks for the replies.  I think some of the responses got a little sidetracked, which is to be expected given what's happened recently.  I'm currently making better money with the new structure since I am getting a lot of sales also in the .50 to 2 dollar range.  That doesn't excuse what's happened, and I understand why many have boycotted them, just saying personally I am not seeing impacts thus far.

My point was -- is Shutterstock now rejecting everything?  What gets approved these days?  IF someone were to continue uploading, and ignoring all the other reasons someone may determine it's not worth their effort, would there be any point and can we just expect continual blanket rejections?  Is there something in writing that reflects this new review approach they are taking?

On 6/22/2020 at 1:16 AM, Pixeljoy said:

Reviewers are also contributors at the same time. They are frustrated, as well.

Maybe that is the reason for the crazy batch rejections. Their way of boycotting Shutterstock while pretending to work.

On 6/21/2020 at 11:35 PM, geogif said:

Be happy. 
If they get accepted, you might be unlucky and they sell. 
For insulting 10 Cent.
That's a lot more frustrating than the rejection. 

Exactly.  10 cents is worse than an insult.  A credit card company charges more than that to process the transaction.

I uploaded a batch early in June (before i knew about the 10c fiasco), and the whole thing got rejected for "grain".  The grain was no worse than usual.  After I learned that I would only be making 10c I didn't bother anymore.

IMO it seems like they've tuned the AI to auto reject anything with slight grain.  Of course you could try to reduce grain in post processing, or shrink the output, but the message is clear: SS doesn't want my photos anymore. 

On 6/22/2020 at 7:57 AM, oleschwander said:

The funny thing is that they still accept lots of crap if it’s In focus, but reject good images where the focus (and noise) is arguable.

same here I have some of my best photos rejected on here that are accepted on other site. But being accepted & then only getting a dime for a download is an insult. SS probably don't need us anymore.

On 6/25/2020 at 11:35 AM, Dan Campbell said:

I uploaded a batch early in June (before i knew about the 10c fiasco), and the whole thing got rejected for "grain".  The grain was no worse than usual.  After I learned that I would only be making 10c I didn't bother anymore.

IMO it seems like they've tuned the AI to auto reject anything with slight grain.  Of course you could try to reduce grain in post processing, or shrink the output, but the message is clear: SS doesn't want my photos anymore. 

Yes it can't be a person rejecting photos for grain at 200 iso on a quality mirrorless camera. 

On 6/22/2020 at 12:55 PM, TD Dolci said:

Invest in more expensive equipment? At ten cents a sale it will be never when you see a return on your investment. If I were still uploading, (I haven’t since June 1), they wouldn’t get more than an iPhone image. 

On 6/22/2020 at 1:55 PM, njene said:

Is this frustration really worth the pennies you may earn if they do by chance get approved?

what a waste of time 

you’re better off collecting refundable bottles if you want some extra coin 

I think I'll go back to busking with a friend if we're even allowed with lockdown. Collecting coins doing that was much better & more fun but the beggers pretending to be homeless (those doing nothing) get way more money.

After I found out that my earnings in June were not as bad as expected but quite well (despite the 0,1 $ downloads) I started uploading again. But I never had so many (in my eyes) unjustified rejections before... Usually for "noise" or "focus". And at least 99% of those photos get accepted at DT and AS without any problems.
What is going on here? What advantage does Shutterstock hope for with this kind of review?

The attached photo has been rejected for "noise/grain". Maybe I am blind, but I don't see any... at least not to an extent that would disturb the picture. The photo was taken with Sony A 7S II - so, I don't think the quality of this camera is "too low"... 😞

7-010-DSC03571-4a-Example.thumb.jpg.c116ddc6305ca715a9f0cd5b28781d18.jpg

1 hour ago, Heide Pinkall said:

After I found out that my earnings in June were not as bad as expected but quite well (despite the 0,1 $ downloads) I started uploading again. But I never had so many (in my eyes) unjustified rejections before... Usually for "noise" or "focus". And at least 99% of those photos get accepted at DT and AS without any problems.
What is going on here? What advantage does Shutterstock hope for with this kind of review?

The attached photo has been rejected for "noise/grain". Maybe I am blind, but I don't see any... at least not to an extent that would disturb the picture. The photo was taken with Sony A 7S II - so, I don't think the quality of this camera is "too low"... 😞

7-010-DSC03571-4a-Example.thumb.jpg.c116ddc6305ca715a9f0cd5b28781d18.jpg

Welcome to the new reality at SS. I think it's them cutting reviewer jobs and leaving it to AI. I don't upload any more, firstly because of the 10 cent pay, but over and above that I get so "worked up" by these rejections you are mentioning that if I were close to that bot doing the "review", I would surely flip the table from underneath it and let it crash to the floor. And then step on it : ). I don't need those empty, brainless rejections by a machine in the hopes of making 10 cents : ). Let top management dig out their cameras and go out and take their own shots!! For 10 cents! If they run low on new pictures.