christopher babcock

Is there a point of trying to upload photos anymore?

Honestly?  Every photo I send in now is rejected within 20-60 seconds.  Every single one.  It's always the same 3-4 reasons about grain or focus.

I don't have an amazing camera, and I don't pretend to be an amazing photographer.  I have a modest portfolio and I make modest money.

But I have enjoyed uploading photos and seeing what sells.  And in the past the majority of my photos have been approved.

Now nothing is approved.  Would a better camera give me a chance of getting some approvals?  What's happened here?  Have they raised their technical standards, or are there just blanket rejections?

A frustrated contributor

I do not know, without seeing samples we cannot decide although I find SS reviewing process confusing. Sometimes, they accept everything or they reject everything. I am sure it is a malfunctioned bot reviewing stuff. Also, I do not plan on uploading anything here after what they did to us.

6 minutes ago, Saurav022 said:

I do not know, without seeing samples we cannot decide although I find SS reviewing process confusing. Sometimes, they accept everything or they reject everything. I am sure it is a malfunctioned bot reviewing stuff. Also, I do not plan on uploading anything here after what they did to us.

+1

37 minutes ago, christopher babcock said:

Every photo I send in now is rejected within 20-60 seconds. 

Be happy. 
If they get accepted, you might be unlucky and they sell. 
For insulting 10 Cent.
That's a lot more frustrating than the rejection. 

I was looking at the fresh content on SS and I saw accepted the picture of an otter playing with a Christmas ornament. It was also underesposed (I hope the photographer is not reading me: I don't want to offend anyone). So don't be upset by their rejections. They are boycotting themselves.

Your description is also a factor along with actual noise and focus.

For example, if there is an up-close object on the lower right corner and a sky or landscape in the other three quads, then how you describe the photo in relation to what is in focus matters. 

1 hour ago, geogif said:

Be happy. 
If they get accepted, you might be unlucky and they sell. 
For insulting 10 Cent.
That's a lot more frustrating than the rejection. 

I agree! I have uploaded maybe 5 or 6 since June 1st and goes without saying that 4 got rejected off the bat : ). mind you it was weekend upload and I should know better by now. and the only reason (!!) for my upload was that I used them just as a "test site". because at AS I get maybe 1, some days 2 reviews a day. extremely slow for me. and I absolutely hate it (!) if it's a reject, especially after waiting for 2 weeks for the review! and I figured that if SS accepts it, then I have a good 80-90% chance that AS accepts it too. not 100% certainty, but a very good chance. they use me, I uses them. a tiny "retaliation" on a small scale. and I keep my keywords to the minimum, with little hope that it would sell. because it would bother me to know that they make on average $3.40+/- on a photo for which they pay the contributor 10 cents!   

1 hour ago, christopher babcock said:

Would a better camera give me a chance of getting some approvals? 

No, I don’t believe so, because I just had two out of three rejected. (Canon MarkII).

Especially when using the best Macro lens. The beautifull Bokeh in the background will also cause rejections. I only managed to get some of those approved after cropping the image. 

I was actually thinking in the opposite direction. Downgrading my equipment to a point and shoot camera. Easier to handle 😉

Actually I meant to start a new thread or topic with the question: if someone still uploads to SS, I would be curious to know what motivates them (and I am not judging!! anybody upload to their heart's extent if it pleases them in any way!!). I just can't bring myself to upload (with a couple of exception which I explained on another thread) and wondering what reasons may till exist for others! I see none. Zero. Minus zero! 

3 minutes ago, Studio 2 said:

Good idea. I use the Panasonic bridge FZ2000 which I love. However, it's relatively heavy. My husband uses the bridge Sony RX10 Mark IV which has super results and is lighter.

Will look into those, and see if I am able to exchange some of my lenses. Definitely do not want to spend any more money on equipment for microstock. 😄

2 hours ago, christopher babcock said:

Honestly?  Every photo I send in now is rejected within 20-60 seconds.  Every single one.  It's always the same 3-4 reasons about grain or focus.

I don't have an amazing camera, and I don't pretend to be an amazing photographer.  I have a modest portfolio and I make modest money.

But I have enjoyed uploading photos and seeing what sells.  And in the past the majority of my photos have been approved.

Now nothing is approved.  Would a better camera give me a chance of getting some approvals?  What's happened here?  Have they raised their technical standards, or are there just blanket rejections?

A frustrated contributor

Hi Chris recently tried a test to upload 4 images from my iPhone which in the past was never a problem for noise and focus but within seconds reviews and rejected so not going to bother anymore...am selling some above the 10 cents had a 1.32 and 1.11 and as they are from the iPhone and didn't cost me money to take them in the first instance am leaving these sort to reach my threshold and see what happens. As someone also said AS have accepted some that I deleted on SS which were good sellers but the long review time is frustrating but have to accept. DT a bit faster but am concentrating on AS first then what they don't accept am trying on DT - I get the feeling SS is also cherry picking what they want or there are faulty bots or angry reviewers IMHO ... just as a side issue there might be a new strategy since the new CO took over and bigger things are afoot...just my thoughts though

11 minutes ago, Blue Corner Studio said:

Actually I meant to start a new thread or topic with the question: if someone still uploads to SS, I would be curious to know what motivates them (and I am not judging!! anybody upload to their heart's extent if it pleases them in any way!!). I just can't bring myself to upload (with a couple of exception which I explained on another thread) and wondering what reasons may till exist for others! I see none. Zero. Minus zero! 

My only motivation, is : a reason to get out of the house and have something to focus on, other than Covid-19.😉

51 minutes ago, Evelyn de Waard said:

Definitely do not want to spend any more money on equipment for microstock.

Agree - I have a very old rather cheap Canon DSLR and don't want to spend one penny on microstock. Not even for gasoline, so I bike ...  

46 minutes ago, Evelyn de Waard said:

My only motivation, is : a reason to get out of the house and have something to focus on, other than Covid-19.😉

No, no! I get the part of the "urge" to make photos. The part I am/was interested in is why upload them to SS!? Is it that (as somebody wisely put it) that a photo on a memory card or on your computer's harddrive is as useful as if it didn't exist at all? It's only good if someone can see them? O.K., but for that we can join a photo club! Or post on Flickr!? Don't need to give SS the chance to pull off some really slimy action.

Invest in more expensive equipment? At ten cents a sale it will be never when you see a return on your investment. If I were still uploading, (I haven’t since June 1), they wouldn’t get more than an iPhone image. 

Is this frustration really worth the pennies you may earn if they do by chance get approved?

what a waste of time 

you’re better off collecting refundable bottles if you want some extra coin 

1 hour ago, njene said:

you’re better off collecting refundable bottles if you want some extra coin 

Even better is to hire someone to collect bottles for you.
And then give him 15% of the deposit.
For more than 1000 bottles you can be generous and raise it to 20%. 

the reason why many contributors with small portfolio will eventually give up and start uploading again, I think this is:
it was too funny in the morning as soon as we got up to watch what had been sold at night. this certainly was not for the money earned, which 0.33 was not even a serious profit. it was just the satisfaction of seeing someone appreciate your work. We have always uploaded to other agencies as well, but how many mornings did we find a sale on these? few !! it is not fun to think that we will have to settle for one sale per week.

I wrote this in another thread: If the commission is 10 cents, put in 10 cents worth of effort. For some this may result in uploading 1 photo a month.  Maybe nothing. It's painfully obvious by now that one of SS's goals is to limit/decrease the size of their library. Contributors that buy into the "feed the beast" mentality are certainly welcome to upload heavily sanitized images (often multiple times) in hopes some will make it past the rejection firewall.  

Personally, 10 cents isn't worth the time it takes to fire up photoshop. 

51 minutes ago, geogif said:

Even better is to hire someone to collect bottles for you.
And then give him 15% of the deposit.
For more than 1000 bottles you can be generous and raise it to 20%. 

Sounds like a subscription model for bottle collecting 👌