Milo J

Share your data - how has new earning structure affected you?

Every image of mine that has sold since the fee structure change has paid 10 cents.  That is my data.  I am not angry, I just simply refuse to work for slave labor compensation. SS can do whatever it wants, but it won't get anything new from me. 

13 hours ago, Doug Jensen said:

My average commission in May was $32.24. So far in June it is $39.86.  That is a 23% increase per download since last month.

In June 2019 by average commission was $36.18.  So far this month it is $39.86.  That is a 12% increase per download over the same month last year.

Those are really amazing returns, but not due to the change in earnings structure. This thread is about percentage of loss or gain after the switch.

today no less than 13 (THIRTEEN !!!) dowload !!
I'm really happy !!! $ 1.33 in earnings !!!
Great day !!! This time I get rich !!!
So to get to the minimum payment it will take ONLY a month more ... then bye bye ... other agencies welcome me with enthusiasm ... it will only be form and kindness of the facade but at least they write and reply ...

1 hour ago, Milo J said:

Those are really amazing returns, but not due to the change in earnings structure. This thread is about percentage of loss or gain after the switch.

Why isn't it?  I gave my May numbers and my June numbers.  Isn't that when the switch occured?

I repeat:

A 23% increase per download since last month.

A 12% increase per download over the same month last year.

49 minutes ago, Doug Jensen said:

Why isn't it?  I gave my May numbers and my June numbers.  Isn't that when the switch occured?

I repeat:

Your earnings level was 30% in May and 30% in June. Your increase is due to selling more and / or selling for higher amounts, not due to the switch in the earnings structure.

1 hour ago, Doug Jensen said:

I disagree.  THAT is the new earnings structure. 

My figures are per download.

Doug,

I'd be interested in your old level and you new level. I guess your old level was level 4. Is it like studio 2 / Debbie wrote? Are you also on level 4 (30%) according to the new revenue model?

3 minutes ago, Studio 2 said:

It wasn't me Wilm it was Milo. However I can answer your question.

Screenshot_20200622-221207_Samsung Internet.jpg

But he WILL get his ass kicked in January when he is put back to Level 1.

That is correct, it has no effect on me yet  because my sales volume this year has qualified me for 30%.  But that my point with Milo today is that  that is still the new system. That's how it works.

Just now, MJD Graphics said:

But he WILL get his ass kicked in January when he is put back to Level !.

If you call a less than 10% projected drop in earnings for 2021 an "ass kicking", then you have a more sensitive ass.  I call it a bump in the road.

All contributors (including me) will be dropped down to Level 1 (15% commission) at the begining of each calendar year and then have to work their way back up the to higher commissions.

On someone's first 10 sales at the beginning of the year, they will earn 50% of what they would have earned before the change (15% commission vs. 30%).

On their next 40 sales, they will earn 66% of what they would have earned before the change (20% vs. 30%)

On their next 200 sales they will earn 83% of what they would have earned before the change (25% vs. 30%)

But after 250 sales, things return to the normal 30% commission for the rest of the year. Shutterstock calls that Level 4. To make it to the next level someone would need to sell 5000+ clips and that is almost impossible. I only sell about 1000 clips per year, so I will never hit that level.

If you crunch the numbers, taking into account how the commission changes at certain levels, the result is that everyone will earn approximately 2/3 of what they would have made on their first 250 sales each year. Everyone is in the same boat. For example, my average commission is $35 per sale. So 250 clips x $35 = $8750 under the old system. Under the new system my earnings would only be $5775. A loss of almost $3000. That sounds bad, but after a contributor crosses the 250 sales threshold they are back to a 30% commission and the rest of the year's commissions will be exactly the same as the old system. I earned over $31,000 last year just at Shutterstock so if I lose $3K at the beginning of the year, due to lower commissions on my first 250 clips, that will ultimately only amount to less than a 10% drop in earnings for me when I look at the year as a whole. In this day and age of people losing their jobs and small businesses going under, I think a 10% drop is not too hard to swallow.

Besides, I expect to more than make up for these changes anyway by getting more overall sales. Despite the pandemic and other crap going on, my commissions at Shutterstock for the month of May hit $2386, which was a 36% increase over the same month in 2019. I have no doubt that my earnings will continue to rise as time goes on. The the sky is not falling. Stock footage is still a great way to have fun and make good money. Besides, these changes will not even affect me until January 2021 because I already passed the 250 threshold months ago, so I'm back at the 30% commission for the rest of the year.

Of course, the new system will definitely make it harder for newcomers to earn decent money until they can get over that 250 clip hump. It is going to take patience and faith to build up a decent portfolio when the initial rewards are going to be significantly lower. I get that, and I sympathize with anyone who has waited this long to get into stock footage or build a decent portfolio.. But keep in mind people will only be earning 1/3 less on the first 250 clips. If someone can't earn decent money with the new system then they probably wouldn't have made decent money with the old system either.

More than a year ago I tried to warn people to stop wasting their time with photos and I basically got called an a-hole for even suggesting such a thing.  I'm already at $2387 this month with more than a week to go.  Hell, I already made almost $300 from footage I uploaded just THIS month!!

I don't have to be optimistic. The numbers speak for themselves.  You just have to be able to do some simple math to see it is a bump in the road that might even get smoothed out before January 1 ever arrives anyway.

18 hours ago, Doug Jensen said:

My average commission in May was $32.24. So far in June it is $39.86.  That is a 23% increase per download since last month.

In June 2019 by average commission was $36.18.  So far this month it is $39.86.  That is a 12% increase per download over the same month last year.

Well, Doug, but obviously that's just a piece of luck in my eyes. Because if you get 30% now and you got 30% under the old system.

If you're making more money now than you did before, it's certainly not because of the new system.

Not all customers pay the same amount.  You act as if the price is always they same for everyone and every sale is equal.  That is not the case. So far this month I've had commissions range from a bout $3.00 to $200.00.   My average earnings per sale are rising because I am making higher value sales to higher-paying customers.  Luck has nothing to do with it.   30% of $100 is more than 30% of $10.  Funny how that works.

21 minutes ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

you get 30% now and you got 30% under the old system.

If you're making more money now than you did before, it's certainly not because of the new system.

Just let it go, he's being deliberately obtuse.

4 hours ago, Doug Jensen said:

I repeat:

it's about how much you would have received under the old schedule vs the new.  

1 hour ago, Doug Jensen said:

All contributors (including me) will be dropped down to Level 1 (15% commission) at the begining of each calendar year and then have to work their way back up the to higher commissions.

On someone's first 10 sales at the beginning of the year, they will earn 50% of what they would have earned before the change (15% commission vs. 30%).

On their next 40 sales, they will earn 66% of what they would have earned before the change (20% vs. 30%)

On their next 200 sales they will earn 83% of what they would have earned before the change (25% vs. 30%)

But after 250 sales, things return to the normal 30% commission for the rest of the year. Shutterstock calls that Level 4. To make it to the next level someone would need to sell 5000+ clips and that is almost impossible. I only sell about 1000 clips per year, so I will never hit that level.

If you crunch the numbers, taking into account how the commission changes at certain levels, the result is that everyone will earn approximately 2/3 of what they would have made on their first 250 sales each year. Everyone is in the same boat. For example, my average commission is $35 per sale. So 250 clips x $35 = $8750 under the old system. Under the new system my earnings would only be $5775. A loss of almost $3000. That sounds bad, but after a contributor crosses the 250 sales threshold they are back to a 30% commission and the rest of the year's commissions will be exactly the same as the old system. I earned over $31,000 last year just at Shutterstock so if I lose $3K at the beginning of the year, due to lower commissions on my first 250 clips, that will ultimately only amount to less than a 10% drop in earnings for me when I look at the year as a whole. In this day and age of people losing their jobs and small businesses going under, I think a 10% drop is not too hard to swallow.

Besides, I expect to more than make up for these changes anyway by getting more overall sales. Despite the pandemic and other crap going on, my commissions at Shutterstock for the month of May hit $2386, which was a 36% increase over the same month in 2019. I have no doubt that my earnings will continue to rise as time goes on. The the sky is not falling. Stock footage is still a great way to have fun and make good money. Besides, these changes will not even affect me until January 2021 because I already passed the 250 threshold months ago, so I'm back at the 30% commission for the rest of the year.

Of course, the new system will definitely make it harder for newcomers to earn decent money until they can get over that 250 clip hump. It is going to take patience and faith to build up a decent portfolio when the initial rewards are going to be significantly lower. I get that, and I sympathize with anyone who has waited this long to get into stock footage or build a decent portfolio.. But keep in mind people will only be earning 1/3 less on the first 250 clips. If someone can't earn decent money with the new system then they probably wouldn't have made decent money with the old system either.

More than a year ago I tried to warn people to stop wasting their time with photos and I basically got called an a-hole for even suggesting such a thing.  I'm already at $2387 this month with more than a week to go.  Hell, I already made almost $300 from footage I uploaded just THIS month!!

but even you, a star contributor  doesn't ever gain under the new system, which is what they clearly stated should happen, not Everyone loses, some less than others

50 minutes ago, jean-francois me said:

it's about how much you would have received under the old schedule vs the new.  

Do I have to put together a PowerPoint presentation on this?  I get paid 30% now and would have gotten paid 30% if the system had not changed.  That is how the new system has effected me. It has not made one dime of difference. That is the answer to the question posed by this thread.  What do you not understand about that? Not everyone has a sob story to share.

However, my revenue per download has increased, not because of the new system, but because customers are paying more for my clips than they have in the past. Two separate things. If that is obtuse, so be it.

On May 31, I sold an image that netted me the usual commission for someone at my level -- 0.36.  Two days later, on June 2, the exact same image sold and I was awarded a commission of 0.12.  Fortunately, I had just reached payout, so that very day I deactivated my account.  I refuse to give my work away.

On 6/22/2020 at 5:12 AM, Doug Jensen said:

Well done. What has been the increase in the size of your portfolio, do you know? That would allow for a really accurate comparison.

The point is, in the middle of a pandemic, when people have lost their jobs and businesses have closed,SS decides to increase their profits at the contributors expense. It is low life behaviour.