Milo J

Share your data - how has new earning structure affected you?

First off, please, we do not want this to be another thread of angry reactions. It's ok to be angry, but the idea here is to just share actual data. This involves some effort and math, so I appreciate anyone who is willing to participate.

As this business is so volatile, it does no good to compare this month with previous month's income. We need to look at this month on its own merit, and figure out what the earnings would have been without the switch.

So, look at your earnings this month and share:

- Your old earnings tier and your new level

- What is your average return per SUB now, what was your SUB price before the change, and what is your percentage of loss (or gain)?

- What is your average return per ODD, what was your ODD price before the change, and what is your percentage of loss (or gain)?

Please use your latest level for the "before" numbers, not a lifetime average. Because if you were at $0.38 for SUBs in May, you would not have ever gone back down to $0.25 under the old structure.

- Share your SOD / EL earnings loss or gain. This is only possible if you remember what percentage you were at before the switch. For example, in the earnings tier of $3,000 to 10,000 it was 28%

- Share your footage earnings loss

- And finally, how did it all balance out? What is your total percentage loss under the new structure?

Ok, here goes. My June so far.

I used to be tier 3. Now level 4.

Average SUB sale this month - $0.21 - previously $0.36.  42% loss.

Average ODD sale this month - $2.56 - previously $2.70.  5% loss.

SOD sales - 7% gain. (30% commission now vs. 28% previously)

Video sales - 33% loss. (20% commission now vs. 30% previously)

Overall earnings loss: 28.7%

38 minutes ago, Milo J said:

First off, please, we do not want this to be another thread of angry reactions. It's ok to be angry, but the idea here is to just share actual data. This involves some effort and math, so I appreciate anyone who is willing to participate. (I will do mine in a bit)

As this business is so volatile, it does no good to compare this month with previous month's income. We need to look at this month on its own merit, and figure out what the earnings would have been without the switch.

So, look at your earnings this month and share:

- Your old earnings tier and your new level

- What is your average return per SUB now, what was your SUB price before the change, and what is your percentage of loss (or gain)?

- What is your average return per ODD, what was your ODD price before the change, and what is your percentage of loss (or gain)?

Please use your latest level for the "before" numbers, not a lifetime average. Because if you were at $0.38 for SUBs in May, you would not have ever gone back down to $0.25 under the old structure.

- Share your SOD / EL earnings loss or gain. This is only possible if you remember what percentage you were at before the switch. For example, in the earnings tier of $3,000 to 10,000 it was 28%

- Share your footage earnings loss

- And finally, how did it all balance out? What is your total percentage loss under the new structure?

I would be glad to get involved but to be honest I find these forums are fast losing any value as SS is no longer of much interest to a lot of contributors.. What's the point in posting questions or comments or sales figures when SS never -or rarely - replies to anything? Generally-speaking my sales are drying up and I believe the process will get worse for contributors as the .10 cents sales begin to dominate.Hope that helps.

15 minutes ago, lonndubh said:

I would be glad to get involved but to be honest I find these forums are fast losing any value as SS is no longer of much interest to a lot of contributors.. What's the point in posting questions or comments or sales figures

Again, if anyone finds it pointless, then please just don't respond. This thread was created for a group of people who were interested.

Milo,

I like the idea! It creates facts! Is it possible for you to document / save the results? I am not sure if this forum will remain in its current form...

I will start with the statistics on June 3rd, because before that the assignments of the SODs and subs were not correct, as shutterstock itself has admitted.

For me it's a bit more complex, because under the new system I was level 4 until 09 June and from 10 June on level 5. Under the old system I was on level 4.

There is another difficulty: Under the old system there were 2 different ODs: 1.24 (small/medium) and 2.85
I have assigned one of the ODs as small/medium, but I'm not sure if this is true.

Numbers:

June 03 to June 09 - Level 4 (30%)

Subs: 89
Income: ø 0.25 = 22.31
Old system: ø 0.38 = 33.82

ODs: 8
Receipts: ø 2.90 = 23.19
Old system: ø 2.85 = 22.80

ODs (small/medium): 1 = 1.15
Old system: ø 1.24 = 1.24

SODs: 3 = 1.03
Old system minimum: 0.38 = 1.14 ???

With those SODs, I have no idea how to really calculate this. But the old minimum of 0.38 should be correct.

Result 03 - 06. June, new level 4:
New system total: 47.68 = RPD 0.54
Old system total: 59.00 = RPD 0.66

Loss on new system: 19.2 %

10 June to 20 June - Level 5 (35%)

Subs: 197
Income: ø 0.22 = 44.01
Old system: ø 0.38 = 74.86

ODs: 13
Revenue: ø 3.27 = 43.81
Old system: ø 2.85 = 37.05

Enhanced: 2
Revenues: ø 35.38 = 70.75
Old system: ø 30.32 = 60.64

SODs: 2 = 0.70
Old System Minimum: 0.38 = 0.76

further SODs: 3
These 3 SODs are higher than the former minimum of 0.38.
So I assumed that I would get 35% (35%) as opposed to the former 30% (former level 4). This results in the following calculation:

further SODs: 3
revenue: 84.84
Old system: 72.72

Result 10 - 20 June, new level 5:
New system total: 244.11 = RPD 1.24
Old system total: 246.05 = RPD 1.25

Loss on new system: 1%

Note: 2 Enhanced in one month is an absolute exception for me. On average I have 1 Enhanced in 2 months. These 2 Enhanced in June falsify the result very much.

Although I should have a proclaimed plus of 5% in the level 5 period, the minus is 1%. And this only because of 2 Enhanced. Otherwise, the minus would be much larger.

After 18 days of evaluation it is clear that the new revenue model is already leading to losses - despite two exceptional Enhanced and one large SOD. If you take into account the beginning of the year with the downgrading of the level, the loss will be much higher.

Conclusion: It will also result in losses for most Level 5 contributors! I am absolutely sure of that!

1 hour ago, lonndubh said:

I would be glad to get involved but to be honest I find these forums are fast losing any value as SS is no longer of much interest to a lot of contributors.. What's the point in posting questions or comments or sales figures when SS never -or rarely - replies to anything? Generally-speaking my sales are drying up and I believe the process will get worse for contributors as the .10 cents sales begin to dominate.Hope that helps.

If it is possible to get realistic statistics from many contributors, then we have the facts.

If it runs optimally, then we have figures for all the different new levels.

With such figures you can turn to the media. If it just says: I'm down 74% because I'm getting 10 cents now instead of 38 cents, it doesn't help anyone. Shutterstock would counter that the losses are compensated by higher ODs, On Demands and Enhanced - in higher levels they are even exceeded. We have to expose this rhetorical feint as false testimony. And that can only be done if we have lots of numbers and evidence.

The point is to prove that shutterstock's very cleverly devised model is a loss model for all contributors - from level 1 to level 6.

To be honest I have never had so many SODs, ODs and Els before. I disabled my account here in frustration with the new royalties but decided I reacted to quickly so reinstated sales. I do get a few 0.10ct sales but never had so many bigger sales ever before. This is also my experience at IS which everyone complains about but there I also get the odd 0.03ct sale, which is frustrating, but this is by far outweighed by the larger sales. So all in all I am still not happy with the fact that every January levels are reset but for me that is two months before I am back, hopefully. I lost two weeks of June sales disabling my account but I am already earning twice as much as AS and all the rest put together. I shall not though be investing any more time and money in shoots, probably more editorial. 

As of this morning my return per SUB (RPS) at level 5 is .26. That's a decline of 32% from my former .38. My return per OD (RPOD) is 3.34. An increase of 21% over my former 2.75 OD calculated average. @Wilm IhlenfeldI calculated the average OD value for the last six months based on the two values of 2.85 and 1.24. 

My combined total earnings loss is 15% from where it would have been before the new system. Since I am at the 35% level which remains unchanged for SOD's, Enhanced, etc., I am not including those but remain keenly aware that after January if I decide to continue I will be taking a substantial percentage hit on those as well until I claw my way back to level 5. Based on prior data I can expect to be back at level 3 by the end of January, remain at level 4 for up to 3 months more, and never reach level six.

Since SOD's and EL's on average make up 26% of my income I can also make a rough projection on how that would affect my overall income next year. For January I would be losing approximately 10% of 26% at levels 1, 2, and 3, Feb, Mar, and April 5% of 26% at level 4, and the rest of the year back to normal. So for me overall 4% plus 15% equals 19% total income loss with the very limited data I have so far. This is why the actual numbers interest me very much. One thing that is very clear so far to me though is that the actuaries decided to hit levels 4, 3, 2, and 1 progressively harder while giving level 6 a slight edge. Also video exclusivity elsewhere is probably the smart bet for me.

3 hours ago, Goldsithney said:

To be honest I have never had so many SODs, ODs and Els before. I disabled my account here in frustration with the new royalties but decided I reacted to quickly so reinstated sales. I do get a few 0.10ct sales but never had so many bigger sales ever before.

Would be interesting to see your actual data. Average SUB and ODD price now vs. what you got before. If you'd be willing to calculate them up.

For SOD and EL, it used to be a percentage commission before as well. Was yours lower or higher than it is now? (what tier were you / what level are you now?)

7 hours ago, Foodio said:

Since I am at the 35% level which remains unchanged for SOD's, Enhanced, etc., I am not including those

Actually, under the old system, you would have gotten 30% of SODs and ELs, so this is where you are gaining now. Please do include them, that could mean a lot for the final result.

Here's a screenshot of the old earnings system, in case people are unsure what percentage they used to get on the SOD / EL sales:

1232631548_oldearningsscgedule.png.9ae5a7b500ef6528a2e95d657f321cb4.png

17 hours ago, Milo J said:

Again, if anyone finds it pointless, then please just don't respond. This thread was created for a group of people who were interested.

I'll know on the 30th. But good idea to see what's actually going on, in actual collected numbers. Yes I'd agree, we can all see that most of us are not happy with the change, there are enough threads for that discussion. 👍 I'll see then... in ten days.

9 hours ago, Milo J said:

Actually, under the old system, you would have gotten 30% of SODs and ELs, so this is where you are gaining now. Please do include them, that could mean a lot for the final result.

Thank you for pointing that out Milo. That certainly changes the water on the beans a little...!

So recalculated with a levels gain of 5% on SOD's and EL's those combined are up roughly 17% over where they would have been, bringing my combined income down 6% overall. Factoring in the levels drop from 30% to 20% for video translated into a 33% reduction for video earnings bringing my aggregate earnings down 11% at this point.

I answer with a question. What is going on? Okay, so to speak, the drop in commissions, but 3 downloads in five days (tot 0.36 cent) had never happened to me, even when I only had 100 photos, three years ago.
Closes?
Is it asking too much to have a nod to the SS?
Really considered less than zero.

20 hours ago, MJD Graphics said:

June : all subs $0.10 was $0.25 and one SOD for $1.94 ( impossible to calculate for SOD's as nothing to compare it with ) and the last week only DL's from India and nowhere else so since yesterday I have disabled my port.

wouldn't SOD have been a % before, so easy to compare?

Just now, MJD Graphics said:

Problem with SOD's is I've had them ranging from $1.88 to $64 so I don't know how I would compare the single one I've gotten this month for $1.94

what level were you at before, what level are you at now. Milo J posted the table above of the past %

I'm level 2 right now: 

$0.21/sub. I was on $0.25/sub before so that represents a loss of 16%

$1.37/ODD. I was on $1.88 before so that represents a loss of 27% (assuming none of the ODDs would have been at $0.81)

No SODs yet this month.

Now, I'm just 21 downloads off level 3. So if I was to model these results at that level (25%) the results would be:

$0,243/sub or a loss of 2.8% (I assumed no increase for any subs less than $0.20 in the calculation)

$1.71/ODD or a loss of 9%

Obviously, the level you were at previously and based on lifetime earnings makes a big difference to the percentages.

Level 3, for second tier before

SUB av, 17.7cents so down 47%

OD  2.45 so marginal impact

EL, SOD same as before

total impact down 30% 

I average this month $.54 per download at tier 3, which is about $.50 less than before.

However, this is meaningless for me. I am interested in 3 things that we cannot know yet (it hasn't happened yet)

a) Earnings January 2021 when we start over at tier 1

b) How long it takes to get back to tier 3 (my guess is 6 months since I stopped uploading)

and c) earnings over whole 2021

in short, not before the end of December 2021 I would know what the effect is (so far It doesn't look good. It's heading in the wrong direction)

8 minutes ago, Rudy Umans said:

I average this month $.54 per download at tier 3, which is about $.50 less than before.

However, this is meaningless for me. I am interested in 3 things that we cannot know yet (it hasn't happened yet)

a) Earnings January 2021 when we start over at tier 1

b) How long it takes to get back to tier 3 (my guess is 6 months since I stopped uploading)

and c) earnings over whole 2021

in short, not before the end of December 2021 I would know what the effect is (so far It doesn't look good. It's heading in the wrong direction)

i'm actually interested in the next 3-6 months to see if there is any rebound from Covid. Regardless or licensing fees, the ordinals of number of downloads in still down 40% from January-February.  My numbers were always highly continent Europe centric. If i look at my map of last 20, only 1 is from a Schengen country. 

I don't have a lot of sales per month, so this is based off little data since the change:

I'm level 3 currently:

This month 

Total Sales : 41

Earnings : $44.61

Avg: $1.09/sale

This includes 1 enhanced image sale that is half my total ($22.45). If we excluded that the avg sale this month is $0.55.

• Sub $6.83
  • OD $8.50
  • EN $22.45
  • Single $6.83

I started on SS in 2018:

2018 avg sale $0.55

2019 avg sale $0.52

2020 avg sale $0.59 (before june) 

Before my minimum sales were 0.33

So far this month I had 27 sales between 0.10 and 0.19

• 0.10 x 15
  • 0.12 x 8
  • 0.13 x 2
  • 0.16 x 1
  • 0.19 x 1

My low # of monthly sales means it too early to see effects yet, especially after I'm reset to level 1 in Jan.

3 minutes ago, Mr. JK said:

This includes 1 enhanced image sale that is half my total ($22.45). If we excluded that the avg sale this month is $0.55.

• Sub $6.83
  • OD $8.50
  • EN $22.45
  • Single $6.83

Hi Mr. JK,

okay, you had 41 sales.

Would you like to tell us how many of those
- subs
- ODs
- SODs were?

You had already written that it was 1 Enhanced.

And I would like to know your old level, if I may.

BTW:

Since the beginning of this year my shutterstock RPD is exactly 50% of my AS RPD. But it will be even lower in future - that much is sure!

My average commission in May was $32.24. So far in June it is $39.86.  That is a 23% increase per download since last month.

In June 2019 by average commission was $36.18.  So far this month it is $39.86.  That is a 12% increase per download over the same month last year.