Steven Tritton

Do you believe there's still a future in microstock?

59 minutes ago, Philippe Clement said:

I guess that's what you get when you contribute to ruining the photography market. So really, you shouldn't moan. Microstockers have COMPLETELY ruined the photography business by working for less than 1/100th of the normal price. You get now what you bloody well deserved. For crying out loud, a correct price for a magazine cover should be 250$ but you shortsighted idiots were perfectly happy with 0.25$ and now - o horror - you all panic because you gonna loose half a peanut. What's the saying in English? "One must lie in the bed one has made".

I'm with SS mainly for video footage and I run a little experiment with images so I know what I'm talking about when I criticize those who are responsible for this "carnage".

PS: I'm a fulltime pro photographer (started in 2002) who lives solely from stock and I do NOT need MS for doing so. 98% of my images are RM.

I congratulate you with all my heart.
Finally someone in this depression forum who has a positive contribution and a happy success story. 
Thanks for that. 
However, one can also draw other conclusions from your description of the situation. 
Namely that the quality of the so-called professionals and the so-called amateurs is getting closer and closer together. 
Obviously the amateur level is completely sufficient for many purposes, and the amateurs are satisfied with an amateur payment in return, after all they have an honest job to earn real money. 

P.S.: As a fulltime professional photographer you should take more care about the masks at PP. 

43 minutes ago, geogif said:

P.S.: As a fulltime professional photographer you should take more care about the masks at PP. 

What do you expect for 0.10 $ 😉 Really, you expect me to devote much of my time for ....... 0.10 $. Are you serious ...???

B.t.w. being professional or amateur has nothing to do with it. Being happy with 1/100th of the normal price has. Did they point a gun to your heads and forced you all to join MS? I don't think so. You all volunteered to work for a peanut in times when agencies worked on a 50/50% basis and prices for magazine publications in the range of 50-150$ were standard.

If nobody supported microstock in the first place, we wouldn't be in this mess. Honestly, you don't feel exploited, squeezed like a lemon, when you see a picture of yours on the cover of a magazine and you were paid less than a dollar while such a license is worth at least $ 250? Do microstockers have no pride? You're as much respected as poor sods that roam the streets in search for empty bottles. What's the current price for empties? That's what has become of photographers thanks to microstockers.

26 minutes ago, Philippe Clement said:

Did they point a gun to your heads and forced you all to join MS?

No, when starting, I did not know MS. I gave my fotos for free. 

27 minutes ago, Philippe Clement said:

If nobody supported microstock in the first place, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Millions and millions of amateurs, who come in new, will be happy and glad if they can show ther masterpieces for free. 

This is the problem about earning money with MS. 

29 minutes ago, Philippe Clement said:

roam the streets in search for empty bottles.

Yes, I have suggested that to some who need money several times. At least in Germany, collecting returnable bottles brings in more than MS, for sure.

31 minutes ago, Philippe Clement said:

when you see a picture of yours on the cover of a magazine and you were paid less than a dollar while such a license is worth at least $ 250?

An important and right point, I'm with you.
It's actually hurtful, insulting and disrespectful.
That's also why I stopped uploading to SS.
However, I'm afraid that we can't stop the downfall, but at best delay it. 
MS will die as a model for making money, in the medium or long term. 

1 minute ago, geogif said:

No, when starting, I did not know MS. I gave my fotos for free. 

Millions and millions of amateurs, who come in new, will be happy and glad if they can show ther masterpieces for free. 

This is the problem about earning money with MS. 

Yes, I have suggested that to some who need money several times. At least in Germany, collecting returnable bottles brings in more than MS, for sure.

An important and right point, I'm with you.
It's actually hurtful, insulting and disrespectful.
That's also why I stopped uploading to SS.
However, I'm afraid that we can't stop the downfall, but at best delay it. 
MS will die as a model for making money, in the medium or long term. 

Well ..... the harm is done, isn't it ...... for the WHOLE photography business, not just MS agencies.

No not for 10c min DLs .there's no future unless people just leave work in their ports

I will work on old youtube channel again which earned at least some money until a few years ago when google changed the rules to qualify for add revenue from videos. Apparently you need at least 1000 subscribers to qualify. I  now have 865 subscribers on there even though not uploaded any videos for a year.

And that's the thing, Even if you didn't submit to SS anymore but kept the ports open, people with 100's of images in their ports will still earn something without doing any more work but payment threshold should be reduced from $35 

In the 1960's my uncle took photos of people at the seaside for money.& they would come back at the end of the day o collect their prints. I've seen it done at the same seaside town for photos on T shirts while u wait a few years ago. And my brother used to be a pro photographer but since digital he's only been able to do stock (on Alamy) He wouldn't dream of joining SS or similar sites.